HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Feb 1, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #3,211 of 4,489
HEDD listening impressions and comparison with the Ananda
There are many reviews of the HEDDphone in this thread, so probably I’m not going to add anything new, but I’d like to share my thoughts with the community.
It’s not an actual review, I can’t write them and I don’t have enough experience and gear to form an absolute opinion, but it’s a set of listening impressions, going back and forward between the HEDDphone and the Ananda, my other headphones.

My setup is pretty simple, MacBook running Media Centre, connected to a RME ADI-2; the HEDDphone are driven from the 6.35 socket in High Power Mode, the Ananda from the IEM socket. Volumes were matched using pink noise, at 70db.
I only listen to classical music, in fact 90% of my listenings are Chamber and remaining 10% are Solo and Orchestral.
Also, I can’t describe audio in terms of bass, midrange and highs, I can only describe how instruments sound like, at least compared to my live experience of concert-goer. And I can't tell about width, height and depth of stage, imaging and all that. I admire people that can discern that, I can't.

The two headphones are very different: immediately with the HEDD instruments appear to be bigger, massive, compared to the Hifiman. The Germans produce a sound that is like a painting with saturated colours, very vivid, but not glossy.
The Chinese are very polite, modest almost, strokes are just outlined.
Instruments lines are perfectly highlighted on the HEDD,not just by placing them in a different position on stage, but by ‘marking’ the timbre differences heavily.
With the HEDD I get the feeling of being on stage with the players, with the Ananda is more like watching a concert in an auditorium. The HEDD presentation feels somewhat unnatural (I’m not used to seat on stage!) but very engaging.

The HEDD also make background details more evident, I’d say maybe too evident. Things like breathing or players turning the music score have almost the same weight as the music.

The piano benefits a lot from this type of presentation, it’s really much richer and deeper than I’m used with the Ananda. Cello strings are tighter and the bow is ‘louder’ on them too. But the Ananda is so gracious in present the music, simple and non fatiguing. Your brain is not overwhelmed by the recorded information.
On small combos, like trios or duos, the HEDD is more capable to create dynamic contrast between the instruments, and as a listener I like that a lot. But it doesn’t work that well with bigger ensembles: listen to one of the latest Beethoven quartet (in my case it was the 12th played by the Takacs Quartet) and the music is almost torn apart. Shostakovich Concerto for Piano and Trumpet (Boris Giltburg conducted by Vasily Petrenko) sounded completely off too. In that regard the Ananda is more musical...whatever it means.

A couple of recordings have left me speechless: the first is a set of of chamber works by Toru Takemitsu (a, nearly, contemporary Japanese composer). The flute on ‘Toward the Sea’ has given me goosebumps, the realism is incredible. This music with the Ananda is cute borderline boring, too soft and lacking vibration. In the same tracks the guitar is a bite mute, lacking the plucking of the strings.

The second recording was a Piano quintet by Korngold, which was quite bright on the Ananda but acceptable on the HEDD, as the tonal balance is somehow shifted. The strings in the first movement are playing these long, rich, dense late romantic harmonies: add the sweetness of the Ananda on top and it’s just too much for my taste. The HEDD uses his ability to dissect the instruments to create a less homogeneous sound, which is more engaging. By the way the Adagio of the second movement is of a striking beauty.

^ this is not my recording, but it should give you an idea of what I mean.

The effect is the same on harmonically complex music, like Elliott Carter second string quartet (played by the Pacifica Quartet): the 4 way conversation is so well defined...I can almost pretend I understand what is going on.

I have struggled to use the HEDD for more than one hour without taking a break: the weight is not a problem, but I’m getting a burning spot on the top of the head. Also, the HEDD wants the listener to pay attention and stay focused, pestering almost with details and nuances never heard.
On the other hand I could wear the Ananda for a day and use it for background music without any problem.

Wow, thanks for the time to put this together. A nice informative review!
I can definitely attest to what you’re saying regarding feeling like you’re on the stage with the players!!!
I had a similar reaction when I first heard a symphony. I had to get used to it but in a way, it’s better. Makes it more immersive.

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #3,212 of 4,489
Thanks for the info!
I remember reading about the stax being good only for classical music. Is that true?
Also, how’s the soundstage of the clears?

Now I recall, the review that I read was regarding the sl 300 and sl 500.
The guy was saying that they lack in bass extension and in general, quality and quantity of bass wasn’t good.
does that sound similar to the sl 700 or the 700 is better and more TOTL?
Soundstage on the Focal Clear is smaller than average, more like an closer look at the musicians, with less ambience and more direct.
Not bad, but different.

The STAX SR-L700 is well suited for all types of music, even Metal!
I’m not sure about EDM played loud, thats not my cup of tea.

SR-L700 does not have a heavily boosted bass, but slightly elevated, following the Harnan curve quite well, except for the sub extension.
The bass has body and punch.
Quantity is a matter of taste, and SR-L700 takes EQ quite well if needed.

Soundstage is wide, close to what Sennheiser HD-800 offers, but overall more natural.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #3,213 of 4,489
Soundstage on the Focal Clear is smaller than average, more like an closer look at the musicians, with less ambience and more direct.

The STAX SR-L700 is well suited for all types of music, even Metal!
I’n not sure about EDM played loud, thats not my cup of tea.

SR-L700 does not have a heavily boosted bass, but slightly elevated, following the Harnan curve quite well, except for the sub extension.
The bass has body and punch.

Soundstage is wide, close to what Sennheiser HD-800 offers, but overall more natural.
Aha.
So when u say “except for the sub extension”, u mean with that that it’s not good at all, or that compared to the bass, it’s not as good?
Also, I have a thx AAA 789 and a darkvoice 336se. Would those power the stax well enough or I would need to get a stax amp for it to work good?
And how’s the dynamics and punch/slam of the stax?

Thanks again for your time!!

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #3,214 of 4,489
Aha.
So when u say “except for the sub extension”, u mean with that that it’s not good at all, or that compared to the bass, it’s not as good?
Also, I have a thx AAA 789 and a darkvoice 336se. Would those power the stax well enough or I would need to get a stax amp for it to work good?
And how’s the dynamics and punch/slam of the stax?

Thanks again for your time!!
OK, let’s go OT until people start to complain:

What is there is of good quality in the bass, but STAX decided to roll off the range below 50Hz in favor of the musically much more important range above (-> STAX SR-700 Bass Port).
https://www.google.de/amp/s/amp.red..._stax_owners_try_the_blutack_mod_it_actually/

As mentioned you need a dedicated amp, the Darkvoice or THX is of no use.
The amps come in different flavours, even portable with integrated DAC.
A used STAX SRM1 MK2 Pro is a good choice if you want to save.

Punch/Slam is the best I heard from an electrostatic headphone, dynamics is great on those anyway.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #3,215 of 4,489
OK, let’s go OT until people start to complain:

What is there is of good quality in the bass, but STAX decided to roll off the range below 50Hz in favor of the musically much more important range above (-> STAX SR-700 Bass Port).
https://www.google.de/amp/s/amp.red..._stax_owners_try_the_blutack_mod_it_actually/

As mentioned you need a dedicated amp, the Darkvoice or THX is of no use.
The amps come in different flavours, even portable with integrated DAC.
A used STAX SRM1 MK2 Pro is a good choice if you want to save.

Punch/Slam is the best I heard from an electrostatic headphone, dynamics is great on those anyway.
Aha, so the msrp of 1900 won’t buy a stax sr-l700 and a dedicated amp?

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #3,216 of 4,489
Aha, so the msrp of 1900 won’t buy a stax sr-l700 and a dedicated amp?
It will, at least if you buy a used amp or a “Set“ (Earspeakers + Amp).
Pricing largely depends on the country you live.

BTW: I‘m talking about the original STAX SR-L700, not the MK2 version, that I never heard.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #3,218 of 4,489
HD650, Clear, and L700 are some of my all time favorite headphones so it's interesting to see them mentioned together.

HD650 is just about the best tuned set of headphones you can get. Not perfect, but as good as headphones get for midrange tembre and tonality with solid but not top tier resolution. They scale well and with a very good amp will perform far above their price. Though some of the better tube amps will push them well past the $1900 budget.

Clear is a very well balanced and extremely dynamic and lively sounding set of headphones, superb for bass and mids but the highs leave a little to be desired. There is a peak at 11khz but you can EQ it down. The highs don't have top-tier levels of resolve but the bass and mids do. Soundstage is a little small. It's not perfect and leaves some technicalities on the table but is one of the most lively and realistic sounding headphones around.

L700 has excellent resolution, phenomenal holographic imaging, and terrific clarity, but the frequency response is not the best and it really needs EQ to shine. Bass response is mediocre but the the rest of the presentation makes up for it. One of the most immersive and holographic headphones around, not at the levels of technicalities of the bigger Omega-series headphones but in some ways even more lively and involving. There are times I prefer mine over the SR-007.

HD650 with good amp, Clear, or L700 rigs are all good ways to spend $1900 or whatever have you (L700 rig will run you a little bit more).

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #3,219 of 4,489
It will, at least if you buy a used amp or a “Set“ (Earspeakers + Amp).
Pricing largely depends on the country you live.

BTW: I‘m talking about the original STAX SR-L700, not the MK2 version, that I never heard.
Btw, one of the amazing qualities of the HEDDphone is it’s sheer Size. Not only is the soundstage wide, its tall As well!!
Is that on the stax as well? Or the stax is just wide without being tall..

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #3,220 of 4,489
HD650, Clear, and L700 are some of my all time favorite headphones so it's interesting to see them mentioned together.

HD650 is just about the best tuned set of headphones you can get. Not perfect, but as good as headphones get for midrange tembre and tonality with solid but not top tier resolution. They scale well and with a very good amp will perform far above their price. Though some of the better tube amps will push them well past the $1900 budget.

Clear is a very well balanced and extremely dynamic and lively sounding set of headphones, superb for bass and mids but the highs leave a little to be desired. There is a peak at 11khz but you can EQ it down. The highs don't have top-tier levels of resolve but the bass and mids do. Soundstage is a little small. It's not perfect and leaves some technicalities on the table but is one of the most lively and realistic sounding headphones around.

L700 has excellent resolution, phenomenal holographic imaging, and terrific clarity, but the frequency response is not the best and it really needs EQ to shine. Bass response is mediocre but the the rest of the presentation makes up for it. One of the most immersive and holographic headphones around, not at the levels of technicalities of the bigger Omega-series headphones but in some ways even more lively and involving. There are times I prefer mine over the SR-007.

HD650 with good amp, Clear, or L700 rigs are all good ways to spend $1900 or whatever have you (L700 rig will run you a little bit more).
Cool!!
So I have the Hd 6xx. I use it with either a thx aaa 789 or a DV 336se.
I’m torn between the focal clear And the stax. On the one hand, the bass and mids of the clears are what I’d prob like but on the other hand, the soundstage isn’t as big as I would want. (Being that I own the HEDDphone, I expect a good soundstage now)

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #3,221 of 4,489
Cool!!
So I have the Hd 6xx. I use it with either a thx aaa 789 or a DV 336se.
I’m torn between the focal clear And the stax. On the one hand, the bass and mids of the clears are what I’d prob like but on the other hand, the soundstage isn’t as big as I would want. (Being that I own the HEDDphone, I expect a good soundstage now)

Btw, if I may ask, what’s the difference between the clear and the 6xx when it comes to soundstage?

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #3,222 of 4,489
Btw, if I may ask, what’s the difference between the clear and the 6xx when it comes to soundstage?

The Clear is a little bit more precise in its imaging and has a more continuous soundstage with smoother and more accurate panning of sounds from side to side, whereas the HD650 is a little bit more 3-blob in its staging and doesn't pan as smoothly or image as accurately. However, the HD650 scales a lot and with certain amps its soundstage will open up and be bigger and more spacious than the Clear.

Neither is great when it comes to stage IMO. L700 is much better here, but there are tradeoffs elsewhere. Also, the L700 Mk2 in my experience is worse in staging than the Mk1, and when I talk about the L700 I'm talking about the Mk1 specifically. Furthermore, my Mk1 is modded to improve the fit, though the mods themselves are cheap and very easy to do.

$1900 will also land you a used Utopia. The Utopia is a very different beast than the Clear, it's a lot more detailed and the staging is much better, but it's also less well balanced with sharper and harsher highs. It's a headphone that requires synergy and careful system construction but is much more technically capable than the HD650 or the Clear.

Then you have things like the HD800, ZMF Auteur, and Audio-Technica ADX5000, all of which I have little experience with but they're well regarded for staging.

Lastly you also get in the door for things like the SR-007. Now with high-end electrostats you will spend a LOT on the amp, and the whole system will blow your budget wide open, but then you'll have a level of resolution and general technicalities you pretty much can't get anywhere else, though they aren't necessarily better tuned than cheaper headphones.

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #3,223 of 4,489
If you believe in amp sound does make a difference it doesn’t matter if you’re on the dynamic or electrostatic path.
You can spend a fortune to achieve one percent better sound.

IMO the money is better spent in better acoustic transducers (headphones), because they ALL sound very different.
Synergy in the sense of repairing a headphones’ fault by pairing it with a certain amplifier does not exist.
Quite often even corrective EQ doesn’t improve too much.

For the STAX SR-L700 the SRM-1 MK2 Pro is a very good pairing.

They go for $300.

I do own three of them and they all work perfectly and do sound the same. No problem with aging.
It’s fully DC coupled, there is no cap in the signal path.
Therefore even the sometimes mentioned recapping is nonsense anyway.

Sound balance in general is a very personal thing, Everybody’s ears have different shapes.
So the ears interaction with headphones is different for everyone.
Everybody has different expectations and different taste.
You can get hints here - and there - but finally you have to try yourself what fits best to you.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #3,224 of 4,489
The Clear is a little bit more precise in its imaging and has a more continuous soundstage with smoother and more accurate panning of sounds from side to side, whereas the HD650 is a little bit more 3-blob in its staging and doesn't pan as smoothly or image as accurately. However, the HD650 scales a lot and with certain amps its soundstage will open up and be bigger and more spacious than the Clear.

Neither is great when it comes to stage IMO. L700 is much better here, but there are tradeoffs elsewhere. Also, the L700 Mk2 in my experience is worse in staging than the Mk1, and when I talk about the L700 I'm talking about the Mk1 specifically. Furthermore, my Mk1 is modded to improve the fit, though the mods themselves are cheap and very easy to do.

$1900 will also land you a used Utopia. The Utopia is a very different beast than the Clear, it's a lot more detailed and the staging is much better, but it's also less well balanced with sharper and harsher highs. It's a headphone that requires synergy and careful system construction but is much more technically capable than the HD650 or the Clear.

Then you have things like the HD800, ZMF Auteur, and Audio-Technica ADX5000, all of which I have little experience with but they're well regarded for staging.

Lastly you also get in the door for things like the SR-007. Now with high-end electrostats you will spend a LOT on the amp, and the whole system will blow your budget wide open, but then you'll have a level of resolution and general technicalities you pretty much can't get anywhere else, though they aren't necessarily better tuned than cheaper headphones.
Very interesting!
So when u say that there’s Trade-offs, what do u mean?
Also is the l700 tall as well, or only wide?

Btw, regarding the utopia, I heard that the HEDDphone has a similar sound sig and what I’m looking for is a replacement to the HEDDphone..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back