heard HD650 vs. HD600 w/ Gilmore & Creek OBH-11
Oct 1, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #31 of 37
Well the only way to find out is to
1. Get the cans (HD650)
2. Take the new cable out of 650 and plug it into 600.
3. Depending on result return the 650 or sell 600
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Stoney
PeterR wrote: Thanks for reminding me of that page. I hadn't made the mental connection between the plot at Headroom and the Linkwitz article until now. Until last month, I hadn't really given headphones any thought.

Certainly, it seems the Sennheiser notch may be deliberate... and may be one of the reasons that their cans have a distinctive, distant (not quite as "in the head") sound.

But, as Linkwitz pointed out, this may differ among individuals (impedance of ear canal drum-to-diaphragm column), which may explain why some listeners swoon and others gag over the Sennheisers.

If I had the time (and money), I'd enjoy building an adjustable equalizer and testing it with high-rez heaphones like the Omega. That and building a proper acoustical measurement phantom for headphones (I'm sure the publications exists out there somewhere....). Have any more links to recommend? :^)

If you want to find out more about the perception of freq on the human hearing in general, look here, there is an small article but interesting about the topic, we do not perceive the frequencies with the same intensity at the same level, so a perfectly flat curve is completelly useless, as we do not hear flat, the bump or hole of the curves, belong to the point of the resonance fo the humar ear canal IIRC or points on which the hearing of those freq become more critical, as low freq, etc...to apreciate the same way for example 1KHz tone at 5db, you need about 60db of 20Hz to equal the loudness, so a perfect flat curve in audio is an illusion, look the way we hear, this is an standard curve, of course some variations may occur depending on the subject, age, etc...:

earcrv2.gif

Oct 1, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #33 of 37
Sovkiller...

...so you think musical instruments should also be equalized according to the Fletscher-Munson curves?
wink.gif
Not really! What you're proposing is the infamous «loudness contour» present in some amps and receivers. In fact flat is beautiful – music listened through headphones should (roughly spoken) have the same sonic balance as in reality, just filtered by the acoustical function of the outer ear/headphone system.

peacesign.gif

Oct 1, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
we do not perceive the frequencies with the same intensity at the same level, so a perfectly flat curve is completelly useless...

I think the desire to have a flat response is so that the playback transducer best correlates to the record transducer. I guess ideally you ought to listen the music at the volume it was recorded at. Although, as we all know, a lot happens between the microphone and your ears. Maybe we need some type of giant feedback loop that correlates the specific playback acoustics to the specific recording acoustics.

JF

Oct 1, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by ManiacSmile
2. Take the new cable out of 650 and plug it into 600.

..is certainly something we are going to do on our next visit to our kind distributor
smily_headphones1.gif
but personaly I don't expect any miracles..

hope there will be some good price on the HD650 somewhere on the net and you all will buy the new cans, so I can pick up your 'old' HD600 for some $150 or so and be happy
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
Sovkiller...

...so you think musical instruments should also be equalized according to the Fletscher-Munson curves?
wink.gif
Not really! What you're proposing is the infamous «loudness contour» present in some amps and receivers. In fact flat is beautiful – music listened through headphones should (roughly spoken) have the same sonic balance as in reality, just filtered by the acoustical function of the outer ear/headphone system.

peacesign.gif

No, sorry I mean completelly the opposite, the manufacturers of headphones sometimes tend to reproduce that shape, to match the way we hear in open air, I never saw any curve completelly flat of any headphone, evne Etys roll the high freq on purpose, to simulate that effect, IIRC this curves were made on open air, so that shape does not correspond to what happen in a headphone listening in a much smaller chamber, with no furniture or reflexions of walls, etc....

Well I don't think tha loudness is exactly that, but even when sometimes you can live with that (flatness), I agree that sometimes you need some kind of EQ, I'm not alone on that, look here

I much preffer this kind of flatness better (a right relation between what goes in and out) as stated above...

".......I think the desire to have a flat response is so that the playback transducer best correlates to the record transducer. I guess ideally you ought to listen the music at the volume it was recorded at. Although, as we all know, a lot happens between the microphone and your ears. Maybe we need some type of giant feedback loop that correlates the specific playback acoustics to the specific record acoustics...."

BTW actually the music do have EQ during the production, the recording studios all of them have nice eq there, the eq is not a taboo....sometimes we need that to balance what was done wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back