Headsets: Voice Tube vs. Noise Cancelling?
May 20, 2006 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jlo mein

In some place that's not Canada ....the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
I work in a call centre and we're given mediocre headsets to use. I figure I could pick up a better one used on ebay for a low cost.

I've been looking at a lot of different Plantronics headsets and notice most of them come in two versions: voice tube or noise cancelling mic. All I know is that the noise cancelling versions are more expensive, and the voice tube looks really cool.
tongue.gif

I guess I'm asking what exactly is a voice tube and how well does it perform? Are the noise cancelling mic's on Plantronics really useful?

thanks

BTW: The headset I'm looking at in particular is the Plantronics H41N Mirage.

Voice Tube:
h41.gif

Noise Cancelling Mic:
h41n.gif

May 20, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 9
I found that a separate mic and headphone works best. I got a Logitech 980186-0403 for skype and I'm very happy with it.

Edit: I don't know how call centers work and If a USB microphone is even possible.

May 21, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #4 of 9
I have the Noise Cancelling Mirage.

I use it with the 2.5mm adapter, and most headset I/O's in cellphones aren't powerful enough for use with it.

It only works with the amp/control box effectively, and ironically enough, works perfectly with my XBox 360 headset port.

Problem with the Noise Cancelling Mirage, is that the mic part is too heavy and does not balance very well, and because it's so directional and short range, it easily drops out of the range of your mouth and people can't hear you properly. I'd say go with the Voice Tube one, as they are cheaper as well, especially on eBay. But the noise cancelling is pretty effective.

Unless you are in a really really noisy environment, then I guess you may have no choice. But remember that the Mirage uses a speaker that rests on your ear, and not in it, so if it really is that noisy, you may be better off looking for one that is an ear piece that fits in your ear, otherwise you'll be really cranking the volume up, and damaging your hearing.

Either way, the Mirage is really comfortable, and I wear glasses.

May 21, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
USB is not possible. We use Nortel phones, and the headsets plug into it by a normal phone jack type plug.

You're probably going to need an amp/control box to be able to use the Mirage with the Nortel phones. The Mirage headset itself terminates in Plantronic's quick disconnect, and not in an RJ-11 phone plug.

May 21, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 9
When I worked in the entertainment field, where everyone has a hands free.
We used the plantronics monaural noise canceling headset with an amplifier.
I didn't know those sukas cost almost $200 a set.

May 21, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
You're probably going to need an amp/control box to be able to use the Mirage with the Nortel phones. The Mirage headset itself terminates in Plantronic's quick disconnect, and not in an RJ-11 phone plug.

I think I could be fine without an amp. We have the cords that go from "Quick Disconnect" to RJ-11, so there's not problem connecting it. I have seen a supervisor with a voice tube Mirage, although he hardly uses it, and when I asked him, he didn't know what a voice tube was. He does not use an amp.

I thought about getting the same one that has an in-ear speaker, but so many callers have static-y lines that I think it would become unbearable.

I also hate it when these old people use really cheap speakerphones and I can hear myself ECHO!!!

May 22, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
I think I could be fine without an amp. We have the cords that go from "Quick Disconnect" to RJ-11, so there's not problem connecting it. I have seen a supervisor with a voice tube Mirage, although he hardly uses it, and when I asked him, he didn't know what a voice tube was. He does not use an amp.

I thought about getting the same one that has an in-ear speaker, but so many callers have static-y lines that I think it would become unbearable.

I also hate it when these old people use really cheap speakerphones and I can hear myself ECHO!!!

Nice thing about the ear speaker on the Mirage, is that you can angle it away from your ear if it's too loud or unbearable static.

Ask that supervisor if you can borrow his Mirage and try it out, or have him call you so you can listen how it sounds with background noise and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back