Heads up! Dick Smith "Premium headphones VT H68" aluminum and leather construct
Dec 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #16 of 132
Yea, the cable change was a big surprise for me, never thought a cable could make such a difference but it really was like night and day with these. Pretty crazy! Did you notice a difference swapping yours at all? I swapped between them a few times to make sure I wasn't just hearing things. :p

I'm currently just letting mine burn in too, will see if it makes a difference to the sound at all.

The soundstage is currently the only real issue I have with these headphones so I'll definitely have a look into ways to improve it. I'm sure listening through a better source than just my phone would help though - I'll make sure to do so after giving them a few hours of burn in.

As I mentioned before though, still surprised at how these headphones are balanced, they may be slightly mid forward but are probably overall a little more balanced than my b&w p7's are. Quite impressed that DSE would go for that type of sound when overwhelming bass seems to be such a big thing with general consumer headphones.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 132
Yep! That mid centric sound reminded me so much of me ath esw9a's. I really liked the esw9's but thought they could use abit more low end and this headphone seemed to grant my wish. Yes i agree its the overall balanced sound sig that drew me to praise these on headfi and for $20, even for $40, these are a steal...i just realised that the earpads are removable too!

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #18 of 132
Yup, there are screws underneath so the driver can be accessed too. Modding looks like a strong possibility. Makes me tempted to grab another pair just to see what I can do... I have a lot of foam and dynamat and some other stuff too that could be useful...

Maybe I could figure out how to tone down the bass with my other cable?

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #19 of 132
Well if anything these headphones are good at testing cables. I can now recommend a sensitive enough headphone that will let a person listen to the differences in their cables...a bit specific i know but at least we filled a niche!:p

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #21 of 132
Not yet, just about to now
Only have a pair of Sony MDR 1rmk2's and my b&w p7's currently for portable use, might try and see if I can get a listen with some of the cans I lent to friends too (ath m50's and Sony v6's), won't compare them to my HD 250 II's though, as they're for different purposes.

EDIT: Wow, just turned on my computer and started listening, these REALLY sound better with a better source. Much cleaner and there's way more instrument definition than on my phone. I'm really quite impressed!

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #22 of 132
Niice! How do they compare with the sonys? Ive also noticed the same thing. Using my p.c with high res files, these really do step up to the table.....sooooo....would you have guessed these are $20 $40 cans? :D?

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #23 of 132
Never would've guessed these were $20-$40! I'd say at LEAST 100 honestly. Only thing that really lets them down is the build quality - there are some scratches on the sliding sides used for adjustment (came from the factory like that I'm guessing), cable is paper thing, leather on the headband moves around it like it's not fixed down, earpads are a bit wonky, etc. They're by no stretch BAD but they just aren't as up to par as everything else. 

Now, compared to the mdr 1rmk2's:

Comfort: this is a big win for the sonys, they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever used so there's really not much to say here. Softer leather cups, softer leather headband and they're also over ear, not on ear. Vt h68's are still comfortable though, nice soft earpads (leather is a bit rougher though) and headband, also a nice clamping force, not too tight, not too loose.

Build: sony's are better put together but the vt h68's have nice feeling metal or metal coated cups and I can't see any plastic on them either. Sony's have some plastic but it's solid plastic and the components themselves are put together much more nicely. No rattles or squeaks, just very solid feeling. Vt h68's have the problems I mentioned up there^ but they're definitely not bad. Still feel solid enough that I could comfortably chuck them in a backpack without a worry.

Price: No brainer here, vt h68's are a 10th of the price of the sony's. What a bargain!

Sound: vt h68's sound more balanced than the sony's (by quite a fair margin actually). Sony's have a mid-centric sound with pretty subdued bass which makes them very pleasant to listen to for long periods of time as they're quite lush and non-fatiguing. Vt h68's also have an overall more mid-centric sound but only *barely*. It's enough to also make them non-fatiguing though, I could listen to these for ages as well. They have higher quality, punchier bass than the sony's and the mids are still nice sounding although not quite as lush. Treble on both is quite similar, not reaching super high but enough that they don't sound lacking (I've been spoilt by my b&w p7's for treble, can't really say much more than that
redface.gif
). 

Soundstage is wider on the sony's but that's to be expected as once again, over ear vs on ear. Instrument separation on both is nice, easy to distinguish where the instruments are and they sound distinct. 

It's a bit strange comparing these as I'd say the vt h68's sound a bit more crisp and clean unless you're playing a song which has a lot going on. When there's a lot going on I find the vt h68's get a little overwhelmed (not really sure how to put it - cramped maybe?) sounding because of their small soundstage in whichcase the sony's sound cleaner as they don't get muddied up when there's a lot of instruments and vocals playing at once. 

I'd say the the sony's pick up a little bit more detail than the vt h68's too but that's just probably due to the fact that they'd be using much higher quality drivers that come with the higher price point.

Overall they're actually pretty comparable in overall sound quality. I like sections of each but I'd still have to give the nod to the sony's for the extra detail they can pick up and the wider soundstage. Love the overall balance of the vt h68's though, it's really quite fun to listen to. There are songs that I prefer on either headphones.

Kinda crazy how well a $20 headphone holds up to an (at least) $200 (usually ~250 here in aus too) headphone!

Just want to add in - compared to the b&w p7's, the only thing I really like about the vt h68's are the mids and overall balance. If the p7's mids were just slightly more forward then it would be a straight win for the p7's. P7's are $400 though so it's a bit of an unfair comparison.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #24 of 132
So.....have we found a hidden gem? Bwahahahaha! So youl be modding them now? Where will you start? Imagine what the price would be on these cans if it had a major brand name on it..

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #25 of 132
I'd definitely say so! 

Yup, gonna open them up now and have a look inside. Curious as to what I could do... The plastic in front of the driver is really quite restrictive, I might try and remove it, maybe open it up a little. If that could widen the soundstage a little I'd be one happy chappy! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #26 of 132
Also the earpads are removable...wonder which existing ones will fit on it? The small sennies or beyers maybe?

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #27 of 132
Im just curious about the drivers tho...i wonder if any other headphone has it which would explain its excellent performane.

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #29 of 132
I believe it was only for a short sale. The sale wasn't on this morning but I know someone who works at the dick smith I went to and he let me have it for the reduced $20 price which was on yesterday.

I'll be honest, these are still worth the $40 IMO.

Anyways, I've got the pads and the black rings underneath the pads off now. The rings were a little difficult to take off, had to get a little creative to remove them but it's done now. Currently removing the white plastic thing over the driver, will take some pics when it's done.

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #30 of 132
Online price is $20 but my DSE store in merrylands had a sale and it was priced $20...i noticed that DSE stores have different sale items and pricing too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back