Heads-Up: Audio-Tech ATH-AD700s on Amazon for $89.99
Jun 24, 2011 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JCred

New Head-Fier
Someone talk me into buying these things. The only negative thing I've heard of them is that they are incredibly large, but I hate the one pair of ATs I already gave: the admittedly cheap ATH-M2X.

To anyone who has owned the AD700s and my beloved Senn HD-595s, would these be a substantial upgrade? Again, I ask that you own/have owned both before offering advice. Thanks.

Here is the link: http://amzn.to/iMFqUv Seller is Beach Camera. Direct, from Amazon, is only $3 more. Both include free shipping.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 5
Good for gaming, not much else. I would buy Grado SR80i for $100 or Sr60I for $80 instead. 

And all headphones have haters, you just have to decide for yourself.

I've tested them out before, and didn't like then because of they are open, when they would be better closed. But gamers really like them and I could see why.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 5
Heya,

I wouldn't call them an upgrade to your 595's in very many respects. More of a lateral move to me. Your 595's have nearly double the bass response (which is still on the light side). So moving to the AD700's, you'll notice a drop in lower frequency (bass), but you'll hear some increase in your highs (treble).

=2661&graphID[1]=3041&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]Here's a chart.

If you want to upgrade from 595's, I'd go to the HD600 with an amp. Otherwise, you're not really upgrading. Granted that's not a budget setup.

Very best,

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks to both of you. I've been considering a pair of Grados, as well... for the sake of having owned Grados. lol

Max,

"Lateral" was the perfect word to keep the money in my pocket. I'm not even looking for an upgrade, but was tempted by the price. If anything, I could use an alternative to my favorite closed-portables (Senn HD203s). I love their signature, but the clamping force becomes overbearing and the cheap looking band actually maintains its death-grip forever. :)

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Thanks to both of you. I've been considering a pair of Grados, as well... for the sake of having owned Grados. lol

Max,

"Lateral" was the perfect word to keep the money in my pocket. I'm not even looking for an upgrade, but was tempted by the price. If anything, I could use an alternative to my favorite closed-portables (Senn HD203s). I love their signature, but the clamping force becomes overbearing and the cheap looking band actually maintains its death-grip forever.
smily_headphones1.gif

Heya,

You want some closed that can be portable? Ever taken a look at the HD438's or HD280 Pro's?

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back