Headroom total bithead - does if amplify bass and volume on the Sennheiser HD 800's?
Nov 13, 2010 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Lan647

1000+ Head-Fier
The HD 800's bass is a bit weak, expecially when connected to a portable source. Very, very high quality bass, but not very powerful. I would certainly like some more powerful bass response. 

Anybody know if the total bithead (just a starter kit, it is a highly recommended headphone amp to begin with, and is said to drive the HD 650's suprisingly well) can amplify the bass without affecting mids or highs and at the same time raise the volume levels? 

The Fiio E7 is said to have a very good bass-boost, but is also said not to amplify the sound very much. 

Which one to get? 

Again, this is just a starter kit, easy on the wallet and enough for a short amount of time...

For home use I was looking into the Headroom desktop amp or maybe the Icon HDP, but that's another story so it does not matter.

Nov 14, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 10
I could really use an answer to this, if the bithead can provide enough bass and volume for the HD 800's (I know they are not very bassy, and that's okay with me, i'm not really a basshead, but the bass impact sucks when connected straight to the iphone) then I think i've made my decision - i'll spend the money and start my head-fi journey, hehe. :)

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 10
I don't think the bithead would be worth buying for the hd800. I was looking into it for the Ms1s and M50s, both of which are a fraction of the cost of the hd800..

Also, how is a $1400 phone a start to your head-fi journey?...

IMO, return the hd800s, and get a pair of m50s, shure 840s, T50RPs, sony xb700, or some entry-midrange phone if you're using an iphone as a source and looking for good bass. Complete waste of money to use the 800s with an iphone alone or with a portable amp.    

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
I don't think the bithead would be worth buying for the hd800. I was looking into it for the Ms1s and M50s, both of which are a fraction of the cost of the hd800..

Also, how is a $1400 phone a start to your head-fi journey?...

IMO, return the hd800s, and get a pair of m50s, shure 840s, T50RPs, sony xb700, or some entry-midrange phone if you're using an iphone as a source and looking for good bass. Complete waste of money to use the 800s with an iphone alone or with a portable amp.    

I don't believe that was an answer to my question...

Of course the HD 800's will be properly used at home. I'm not planning on using them for the phone very much, but I want to be able to do so with decent sound quality.

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 10
I would imagine that if you have dropped that kind of money on cans then you should at least be looking at the likes of what is coming to me this week. The Meier Corda Stepdance which would I think be a far more appropriate amp for these phones!

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 10
To answer your question, OP, the Crossfeed switch adds some bass to all the phones I've listened.
Also you're the first guy that I know of to drive HD800's directly out of an iPhone. Kudos. Previously I only knew a guy who drove HD650's out of a Chinese "MP4". You just made my hall of fame.

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
To answer your question, OP, the Crossfeed switch adds some bass to all the phones I've listened.
Also you're the first guy that I know of to drive HD800's directly out of an iPhone. Kudos. Previously I only knew a guy who drove HD650's out of a Chinese "MP4". You just made my hall of fame.

I did that just for fun, to hear what it sounded like :p 

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 10
From what i've read, the Bithead is to sound "amazing" for what it is when paired with Sennheiser cans. The 650's for example, are said to sing quite good with the bithead. 

In my understanding, the 650's and the 800's require about the same amount of juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back