Headroom MICRODAC
Jun 9, 2005 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

mariowar

500+ Head-Fier
We just had the Headroom tour meeting here in Houston last night, and I had the pleasure to spend sometime with local headphone geeks and Tyll.
The new line of their amps is a killer!
I wanted to try the new MicroDac so bad, and I WAS BLOWN!!!
This is not another esoteric audio device. I could clearly head the difference switching form the DAC to just the audio line out in the player. The sound was fatter, the bass was GREAT, very controlled and not muddy at all. The highs were liquid.
Since my portable cd player does not have an optical output, I will have to save some money.......
I would kill myself having the Micro Dac and not having a portable with a digital (optical) output to try it!!!

Jun 9, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariowar
I wanted to try the new MicroDac so bad, and I WAS BLOWN!!! This is not another esoteric audio device. I could clearly head the
difference switching form the DAC to just the audio line out in the player. The
sound was fatter, the bass was GREAT, very controlled and not muddy at all.
The highs were liquid.

I noticed the announcement for the Houston stop-over too late, if I would have known sooner I would have attended.
frown.gif

Your impressions of the MicroDAC sounds great Mariowar. Were there any other DACs at the meet to compare the MicroDAC to?

You mentioned the Bass resolution resolved from the MicroDAC to be "controlled?"
confused.gif
Meaning that the bass impact compared
from a normal line out was less?

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 45
darn it! this just sounds so appealing! stupid ipod digital outless brick of crap won't accept Headroom's DAC! and at home my modded 0404 is keeping me happy - i'm going to have to hold out until my ipod craps out or until someone finally wises up and makes a digital out on a DIGITAL audio player standard! no way am i paying inflated prices on an old iriver or archos!

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 45
Somebody really needs to compare the MicroDac/Overture to some of the established soundcards such as the EMU 0404 or 1212M. It is such a promising product but I'd love to get an estimation on how good the sound is on a comparative and more competetive scale. I have no doubt that it'll blow away all portable player's internal dacs.

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Somebody really needs to compare the MicroDac/Overture to some of the established soundcards such as the EMU 0404 or 1212M.

Just imagine MicroDAC/Overture as a better sounding 1212m
wink.gif
They use the same DAC chip and sound somewhat similar but the headroom units are cleaner sounding and more dynamic.

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
wink.gif
They use the same DAC chip and sound somewhat similar but the headroom units are cleaner sounding and more dynamic.

They use the same DAC chip? Then it's the same as the Benchmark DAC1 as well right? What's the name of that chip again? So the EMU cards, the MicroDAC and the DAC1 all start with that chip...

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
They use the same DAC chip? Then it's the same as the Benchmark DAC1 as well right? What's the name of that chip again? So the EMU cards, the MicroDAC and the DAC1 all start with that chip...

TI/Cirrus CS4398 DAC

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 45
Would a Micro DAC be an improvement over the internal DAC of a Music Hall CD-25 or a similar CDP?

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
wink.gif

lan, thanks a lot for the definite answer. Have you been able to compare the Headroom Dac to the 1212M or to your 1820M?

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
TI/Cirrus CS4398 DAC

Excellent thanks for the answer! I guess i didn't do my due diligence lol. Anyhow, I feel better about my 0404 now - it's modded (by lan!) to be tweaked to my tastes, and I'll probably want to get a MicroDAC if in the future I want to take it on the go to go with my SR71 (which sounded GREAT with the Overture DAC!)

I'm half tempted to do what lan did and just get a SlimX or something, but my iPod would get lonely...

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 45
Rab, the bass with the microdac is a little bit fatter AND more controlled, what I mean is that is not muddy, you'll be able to hear it clearer than ever. The highs and mids were better also. It is that good that even a rookie would distinguish it!!
Keep in mind that I was using a portable cd player with a good lineout.....

jahn, go for an Iriver, it is not as fancy as the Ipod, but it sounds a little bit better, (More bass)IMHO.

I had no chance to compare it to other DACs..... I imagine that if you compare with an excellent cd player with a good DAC, there won't be noticeable differences, but come on, we are talking about portability, it is as small as a deck of cards and holds the top of the line CIRRUS chip.

I'm looking forward to get a good portable cd player with optical output as a cd transport first, then I'll buy the microdac.

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

0404 uses a AKM DAC chip, the DAC1 uses an AD1853 DAC chip, the 1212m/1820m/headroom dacs uses the crystal chip. They all sound different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
lan, thanks a lot for the definite answer. Have you been able to compare the Headroom Dac to the 1212M or to your 1820M?

I havn't had anything stock for a long time so my comparisions are not the same as others would experience.

Quote:

I'm half tempted to do what lan did and just get a SlimX or something, but my iPod would get lonely...

Hehehehhe. I still have a use for flash and harddrive player and CD players.
eek.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 45
Oh, a different DAC? I may be in trouble then...might get tempted with a shiny top of the line DAC chip infused unit...

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I havn't had anything stock for a long time so my comparisions are not the same as others would experience.

Please excuse me for asking further questions in this direction since my purchasing decision will be mainly based on your assessment.
wink.gif

Which kind of modded soundcard (or perhaps something else) did you compare to the MicroDac and to what extent do you deduce that the MicroDac/Overture is superior to the Emu 1212M? And do you think a modded Emu 1212M might be able to surpass the MicroDac/Overture?

Much obliged again.

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 45
We *really* need a face-off between the MicroDAC and 0404/1212m/DAC-1!

600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back