headroom micro dac instead of new soundcard?
Jul 11, 2006 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chouman

100+ Head-Fier
hi all!

i'm pretty new to headfi, only discovering it recently and spending way too much time perusing through tons of threads just soaking in way more info than my mind can process. started out with my stumbling across headroom a few years back. i'm now starting to fear for my wallet, but i'm also somewhat confident that others relieve that with people almost always willing to trade/buy/sell etc.

i recently bought a micro amp from headroom, but am wondering whether i am doing it justice since it's running straight out of my laptop (headphone output). i was looking to buy the micro dac, but i was wondering whether the micro dac would replace the need for another sound card. i've read lots of good reviews of echo indigo dj, tbaam, and others. can i plug in my computer speakers into the line out of the micro dac (use it as a source component) rather than get another soundcard? would something like a headphone splitter do the job there?

i guess a similar question goes for the total bithead: can i use it as an alternative to my laptop soundcard for my speakers?

or should i go with a soundcard that has some built-in dac?

thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Jul 11, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman
hi all!
i recently bought a micro amp from headroom, but am wondering whether i am doing it justice since it's running straight out of my laptop (headphone output).

No, you are amping a poor signal.

Quote:

i was looking to buy the micro dac, but i was wondering whether the micro dac would replace the need for another sound card.

You'll run a USB cable from your lappy to the in on the micro dac. It will replace your onboard soundcard. It's a high quality DAC.

Quote:

i've read lots of good reviews of echo indigo dj, tbaam, and others. can i plug in my computer speakers into the line out of the micro dac (use it as a source component) rather than get another soundcard? would something like a headphone splitter do the job there?

The echo (pcmcia) & tbamm (usb) are soundcards, so you could plug your micro amp into them. If you opt for the micro dac you won't need them.

Quote:

i guess a similar question goes for the total bithead: can i use it as an alternative to my laptop soundcard for my speakers? or should i go with a soundcard that has some built-in dac?

Yes, the bithead is a dac + amp. However unless you also need a super portable all-in-one unit skip this product.

Jul 11, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 5
If you can swing it, get the Micro DAC. A very versatile piece of equipment that can run on two 9v batteries or AC power (with provided adapter, AKA "The Brick"). Obtains signal via USB OR via optical or coaxial connection from a capable soundcard.

I love mine. I can only imagine that it mates perfectly with the Micro Amp.

Jul 12, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 5
YES, go for the MicroDAC. The soundcards you mentioned won't do nearly as well as the DAC and are not nearly as versatile. As mentioned, it pairs perfectly with the Micro Amp to make a sweet combo. Like you, I also got my Micro Amp alone first, and the sources I was using (laptop, ipod) sounded so horrible that in about 2 weeks I ordered the DAC because I couldn't stand to listen to the music anymore. I use it with usb through my laptop and via optical from my iriver and it made everything sound awesome! You'll be amazed at the sound coming out of it just with a usb hookup. Go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back