Headroom Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp (tm)
Jun 30, 2009 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Born2bwire

25+ Member ;-)
Seriously, what are people's opinion about the BUDA? It seems like there are very few impressions that I have found and I am interested in getting a high end balanced setup. I am not interested in tubes anymore, I had a ASL MG Head and while the tube sounded fantastic, I do not want to go rooting around the back rooms of audio stores for the holy grail of tubes again just so that a few years down the line the tubes die out and I am unable to get the same sound again. Headroom appeals to me because I can get an all in one set, a BUDA, DAC and reterminated balanced HD800 and this should also give me enough bank with Headroom that I can continue harrassing Tyll to my heart's content for several more years.

So the BUDA with DAC is probably as much as I am willing to spend. Other offerings that I am aware of would be Ray's Apache (minus a DAC) but what else is there in the SS category? Gilmore amps maybe...

I'll probably end up picking up new gear when I make a trip back to the States. Plus my CD player and HR2 are back in storage in the States too
frown.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 51
What about RudiStor?

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 51
P'raps, I hadn't thought about Rudistor, but they do not mention a 30 day return policy that I would like to have. Ideally, I would like to audition a few amps and keep the one I want. Obviously, given the high cost of such systems I would like to reduce the number of amps for comparison.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 51
If this is the one that Headroom used to demonstrate the HD800 at Canjam it is first rate. That was the best dynamic set-up I ever heard and it gave the best electrostatic set-up, the BHSE amp a run for the money.

That said, I still find stat sound preferable. I keep hearing a graininess in dynamics but possibly there are benefits to dynamics that I am not sensitive to.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this is the one that Headroom used to demonstrate the HD800 at Canjam it is first rate. That was the best dynamic set-up I ever heard and it gave the best electrostatic set-up, the BHSE amp a run for the money.

That said, I still find stat sound preferable. I keep hearing a graininess in dynamics but possibly there are benefits to dynamics that I am not sensitive to.

I remember hearing the O2's and a Blue Hawaii modded by B-something-something (ha, man what another fiasco that was) and it sounded fantastic. Still, I think having a dynamic setup is more flexible. When it comes to electrostats, really the high end options are the 02 and HEX0.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 51
Bass is one of the strengths of the balanced Headroom and dynamic headphones - I am not sure that even O2 + Blue Hawaii SE will be as good in bass impact.

The balanced Headroom amps are very good. Personally I find the crossfeed very useful and want to have at least one amp with crossfeed.

I have one balanced Headroom amp with a DAC module (last version of Home module). The DAC sounds warm and fuzzy and is pleasant to listen to and non-fatiguing, but lack resolution and dynimacs compared to really good and more expensive DACs . I think the built-in DAC is a limiting factor and not of the same sound quality as the amp section. The Max module might be a little better but doubt that it will show the potential of the amplifier. I have a used Chord DAC64 on way for my computer set up and hold my thumbs. The new stand-alone Headroom DAC seems promising. But the built-in DAC can be a good start - it sounds good but is a bit below what is possible in sound quality.

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 51
I just received my HR BUDA and UltraDAC a few days ago. Not burned-in of course, but my initial impression "out of the box" is extremely favorable -- in fact I was literally bowled over at how good my balanced K701s sounded. I've heard that the BUDA has excellent synergy with the HD800s, which is likely going to be my next purchase. I can't comment on how the BUDA compares to other high-end balanced s.s. amps, but I suspect it would hold its own quite well -- it's definitely a major-league player in my opinion. Pricewise I think the BUDA is more competitive with other balanced amps unlike the previous HR Balanced Max which I thought was overpriced.

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 51
I'm glad I bumped into this thread - I should be about a week away from receiving my BUDA and can't wait. It will hopefully be a nice contrast to my WA6SE.

I have a pair of HD650's (Silver Dragon v.2 balanced recable) in house and am anxiously awaiting my Manufaktur DT880 600-ohm with Silver Dragon v.2 w/split-mod dual entry balanced from Moon Audio.

I'm leaving the GS1Ki, AH-D7000, and HF-2 single-ended for the Woo amp. I've always been a solid-state kind of guy, so if the BUDA compares favorably to the Woo I might put the Woo on the market and buy a pair of balanced HD800's.

I'll be sure to try and find my way back here to post impressions once I receive mine. It'll be nice to put the balanced outs on my Cambridge 840C to work!

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my HR BUDA and UltraDAC a few days ago. Not burned-in of course, but my initial impression "out of the box" is extremely favorable -- in fact I was literally bowled over at how good my balanced K701s sounded. I've heard that the BUDA has excellent synergy with the HD800s, which is likely going to be my next purchase. I can't comment on how the BUDA compares to other high-end balanced s.s. amps, but I suspect it would hold its own quite well -- it's definitely a major-league player in my opinion. Pricewise I think the BUDA is more competitive with other balanced amps unlike the previous HR Balanced Max which I thought was overpriced.

I too am impressed with how well the k701's sound on this amp and DAC. Although, I'm seriously considering trying the hd800's.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 51
Got my shipping notice, I'll have the BUDA w/DPS next Wednesday. I'm excited to see what it brings to the table...

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too am impressed with how well the k701's sound on this amp and DAC. Although, I'm seriously considering trying the hd800's.
evil_smiley.gif

Follow-up to earlier post: I decided to spring for the HD800's to use with the BUDA/UltraDAC, and in one word -- awesome! Even better than the K701's, and I thought they were really good with the BUDA.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Follow-up to earlier post: I decided to spring for the HD800's to use with the BUDA/UltraDAC, and in one word -- awesome! Even better than the K701's, and I thought they were really good with the BUDA.

This is not what my wallet wanted to hear!

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could get a balanced Beta 22 used for less than the $1699 headroom wants for that, and I think you'll have a hard time finding a better neutral SS amp than a Beta 22.

How on earth do you figure that? You could hardly build yourself one for that $$, not to mention buy one that someone else built.
confused.gif

On topic, I thoroughly enjoyed the BUDA an CanJam. I got to hear it Friday before the meet started with little ambient noise and it was very good with the HD800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back