Headphones you regretted buying the most
Dec 27, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #856 of 1,852

Quote:
Ultrasone Edition 10s.

Grado and Ultrasone seem to take the cake when it comes to overcharging the consumer for no good reason.

That's my opinion of course.  I'm sure they sound great but are they really 3000 dollar headphones?  Can someone chime in and tell me why they command such a premium?  

Dec 27, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #857 of 1,852
Well, personal opinion here: The Grados are killer values for their SR60i-SR125i line, but I find they drop off pretty harshly for the SR225i+ lines. There's no way I could justify to myself paying that much money for the SR325i. This is especially apparent in their $1k+ headphones, at least in terms of raw measurements. They have the Grado style, but don't improve on it in terms of technical superiority that much. They're for the person who loves the Grado style above all else and wants more of it. 

I haven't heard the PS series, so I won't talk about that. 

Quote:
How exactly is Grado known for overcharging the consumer? All of their headphones are excellent values at their respective price points. If you need an additional example, I'd suggest Audio-Technica's more exotic headphones.

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #859 of 1,852

Quote:
Grado and Ultrasone seem to take the cake when it comes to overcharging the consumer for no good reason.

That's my opinion of course.  I'm sure they sound great but are they really 3000 dollar headphones?  Can someone chime in and tell me why they command such a premium?  

I think I chimed in when I said I regretted buying them.  I was very unimpressed by them, but there is a whole thread about how people were either impressed or unimpressed by them.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #860 of 1,852

Quote:
I think I chimed in when I said I regretted buying them.  I was very unimpressed by them, but there is a whole thread about how people were either impressed or unimpressed by them.

did you?

I think I was asking for more than a "I hate them" response.  But yeah, if you're too lazy to type up something, I'll look at that thread.

thanks!

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #862 of 1,852

Quote:
Can someone chime in and tell me why they command such a premium?  

Sure.  For the Ed.10 Ultrasone uses virgin goat scrotum on the earpads and rare metals mined by Reman slaves.  The wood trim pieces are cut from Stradivarius violins and are then hand assembled by members of the Aka pygmy tribe whilst perched in the upper canopies of the Congo.  They are hand fed a strict diet of Fiji water, Red Bull and Foie Gras.  Apparently the drivers are the painstaking result of years of extensive research and testing done in collaboration with American Airlines.  Below you'll find a typical ritual celebration following the successful manufacture of each Ultrasone Ed.10.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #863 of 1,852
Grado GS1000's.  Absolutely HATED the sound- screechy highs and muddy bass.  All the build quality of a 1971 AMC Matador.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #864 of 1,852

Quote:
Grado GS1000's.  Absolutely HATED the sound- screechy highs and muddy bass.  All the build quality of a 1971 AMC Matador.

i heard them have smooth highs and deep bass, despite the bass being a little too powerful (but i like that lol)

i think all  grados are pretty good once you get used to them, however, grados are kind of a love or hate thing on head-fi...

anyways, i regretted buying the HD 448s... beautiful mids, everything else was kinda bad. its just an extra pair i don't even include in my main rig. i just keep it around the apt for when someone comes over and they want to plug into a laptop or something. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #865 of 1,852

Quote:
Sure.  For the Ed.10 Ultrasone uses virgin goat scrotum on the earpads and rare metals mined by Reman slaves.  The wood trim pieces are cut from Stradivarius violins and are then hand assembled by members of the Aka pygmy tribe whilst perched in the upper canopies of the Congo.  They are hand fed a strict diet of Fiji water, Red Bull and Foie Gras.  Apparently the drivers are the painstaking result of years of extensive research and testing done in collaboration with American Airlines.  Below you'll find a typical ritual celebration following the successful manufacture of each Ultrasone Ed.10.

Awesome!

The exact answer I was looking for.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #868 of 1,852
Denon AH-D7000

Not complaints about the sound, though I only listened for about 4 songs. The problem was I found my wife staring at me the second I opened my eyes. She first told me exactly which 4 songs I listened to, then told me to get rid of the headphones. Pretty much 0 isolation in or out. I took them off and listened to them. These things leak more sound than my Sennheiser PC 360's, an open headphone. A real shame, too, as they sounded and looked beautiful.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #869 of 1,852
Quote:
Denon AH-D7000

Not complaints about the sound, though I only listened for about 4 songs. The problem was I found my wife staring at me the second I opened my eyes. She first told me exactly which 4 songs I listened to, then told me to get rid of the headphones. Pretty much 0 isolation in or out. I took them off and listened to them. These things leak more sound than my Sennheiser PC 360's, an open headphone. A real shame, too, as they sounded and looked beautiful.

Its amazingly silly how much sound those Denon Dx000s leak.

I couldn't tell any difference in isolation between them and my HD650s...

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #870 of 1,852
solo by beats..after i lined up on boxing day on my local best buy...im planning to return them,glad i did not open the item.
i realized after i got recieved my monster turbine coppr pro from fs which i bought for only $95.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back