Headphones worth it?
Jul 17, 2008 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

G-man

Formerly known as gautam
Hi, well today i got my k701s. am listening to them right now. and well, im not really that impressed. yes, they are better than my older ones (mdr-xd200), but worth 190 pounds? i don't think so. i am actually thinking of returning them. What do you think?

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 50
If you're not that impressed by them, they you should just sell them. I will say they work quite well with high level equipment.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 50
Source? Amp? Ears?

Give em some time. I find it takes at least a day to adjust to a new headphone. I have k701s, and they're probably the most versatile headphones I'd owned. (Previously had HD650, RS1, DT880 curly)

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 50
gautam...

You've decided to invest on the 701's using your own finances... If you don't like it just return it. Get a refund... If not give it some more time... or do whatever you want with it.. lol

I gave it away to a friend for his b'day. Between the AKG K701 and MDR-SA5000's, the Sony had the qualities I was looking for.

This is a pretty generic question; if you ask me
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 50
very well, i shall leave them over the weekend. right now, due to me being poor, i am just getting them straight from flac via my computer's headphone jack . but surely, the headphone counts for the largest improvement. so, even with a better source/DAC and amp, the improvement will not be as much, right?

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very well, i shall leave them over the weekend. right now, due to me being poor, i am just getting them straight from flac via my computer's headphone jack . but surely, the headphone counts for the largest improvement. so, even with a better source/DAC and amp, the improvement will not be as much, right?

Ah, no. My DT770's plugged into my computers jack doesn't sound that much better than some old Sony's I had laying around. After plugging them into the headphone out on an old Technics receiver, the whole headphone sound changed. It really is amazing what an amp can do to the headphones.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, even with a better source/DAC and amp, the improvement will not be as much, right?

It depends, it may not necessarily be mind-blowing. (Headphones aren't cocaine) Is this your first mid-end headphone? Do you have a specific sound preference/coloration, i.e. aggressive, laid back, etc?

Also, do you normally listen to loud music? I find that it can fry your ears, pretty much making anything sound unsatisfying.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 50
Improvements will be made, and are can be as significant as the headphones themselves. I always invest in the best pressed, highest resolution CD's I can find.

Headphones go to a hole 'nother level with quality music. Trust me on this one.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 50
True, but even with like 128kb mp3s, good headphones will sound alright, unless your other components really suck.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 50
well, i am using flac, some from vynil rips, but all of it has been ripped very well. and i didnt realise k701s were mid end, i thought they were atleast low high end. i am finding them to be a bit high pitched, but that is the sound sig, and i quite like it. hopefully, i will get used to it. and i dont think i listen to that loud music, i do hav tinnitus, but i dont know why.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 50
Many people say K701s need a very long burn-in period before they sound good, on the order of 300+ hours if I recall correctly. Did you buy them brand new?

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

well, i am using flac, some from vynil rips, but all of it has been ripped very well. and i didnt realise k701s were mid end, i thought they were atleast low high end. i am finding them to be a bit high pitched, but that is the sound sig, and i quite like it. hopefully, i will get used to it. and i dont think i listen to that loud music, i do hav tinnitus, but i dont know why.

Tinnitus? You're either listening too loud, too much, or both. Or a construction worker, I don't know. Try this, stop listening to music for a few hours, then try again at low volume. Increase the volume just so enough that you can hear the details.

The K701s have treble. Good treble. I actually don't know what "rank" the k701 are, I just assume they're mid-end. (High end would be like Orpheus an stuff)

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 50
I've learned by now that if I don't like a headphone within a few days, I'm never going to like them, and thus return/sell them. The K701 was one of those kinds of headphones.

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've learned by now that if I don't like a headphone within a few days, I'm never going to like them, and thus return/sell them. The K701 was one of those kinds of headphones.

x2

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 50
You need to amp them. No computer jack is designed to power headphones like the K-701.

Yes, the amp makes a huge difference. Headphones have to be driven. You can slide a bit on the source because there are a lot of great inexpensive ones. If you're not willing to buy or build an adequate amp, trade them in for Grados or something that's easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back