Headphones with the PX100's exact sound
Dec 19, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #17 of 53
I think you are going to be a bit frustrated in your quest, as most full-sized cans that will qualify as qualitatively more comfortable will not be driven well by the same source with which you drive your PX 100s. I think what you need to do is specify (a) what kind of music you listen to; (b) what you will be using to drive your home cans; (c) what are the specific qualities you hear in the PX 100s that you really like. For instance, the PX 100s are weighted a bit more heavily in the mid bass region than say they HD 580s (I have both), and are definitely less refined and quirkier in the upper register. The HD 580s & 595s are obviously more detailed and transparent, with better attack and dynamics than the PX 100s when driven properly, as would be expected for the price difference.

If you said that you listened to a lot of classical and small group jazz, liked that the PX 100s weren't boomy yet weren't rolled off in the bass and had decent mid and upper mid range, and had a decently powered source at home, there are a lot of headphones one might recommend, esp. used or NOS. The AKG 501s or used 580s would be obvious, but a number of others leap to mind. If, on the other hand, you listened mainly to rock, and were driving your home cans with an ipod headphone out, these recommendations would be very, very different.

Besides, what fun is it if you don't give us enough info so we can start egging you one to buy amps and multiple cans to try out before you settle on something
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #19 of 53
Or try the Sen HD485. Fuller bass, smoother treble, but same sig. I got both.
Needs some burn/in to lose overamount of lows.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 53
This is indeed starting to becoma an amusing thread. I dont want to spend a lot of money, as i dont have that kind of money to spend, so anything even half close to the HD650 is way out of my league. The funny thing is, if the px100 and the hd650 soound the same, why do people pay 10x the price for the hd650? :p

I dont really have anything very hifi, and as i said the px100 does it for me when it comes to sound quality. My wallet cant take any better
wink.gif
The source is a cowon d2, i have a go-vibe 5 but that thing is seriously weak IMO, so its sitting there unnused. For music... well, i pretty much listen to everything. There is one big folder on my player called "diverse", because i only have a few songs of each artist with a few excepttions. instrumentla music, like movie scores and symphonic versions of songs are well represented on my player. Im extremely sensitive to sibilance, which is prob related to preferring lyrics free songs. I do not care for flat EQ at all, in fact i want as much bass as is possible without screwing it up to much - i run the first two EQ bands of the D2 at 3 and mach3bass at a full 10 with no other settings active.

Wat i like about the px100 is that to my ears they have the bass i require, they dont create sibilance, but still the higher freqs are there. For instance i have the dt231, and i find its sound to be a bit annoying, less soundstage due to them being closed, and less detail IMO. Also have the ms-1, which i like very much, but they lack a bit of bass, which is why i always lean back on the px100. I have some hearing difficulties in the 1000HZ range while all other ranges are a perfect 10, so stuff tend to sound a bit different to me. Doctor couldnt even explain my 1000hz defect, just that it was very noticable and peculiar due to the other ranges being so responsive.

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The funny thing is, if the px100 and the hd650 soound the same, why do people pay 10x the price for the hd650? :p

Because they have the same basic frequency type (bass oriented) but are upgraded in everything else like separation and soundstage, and probably mids and highs. One thing you could try is to get some pretty big cheap open headphones and glue on the little PX100 driver housings (pull them out of the socket on the PX100 headband) inside.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #22 of 53
the HD650 Scales like crazy and unfortunately is out of your price range.

i recommend Atrio M5 IEM (sounds more like a headphone than IEM) for your price range. I think with a CMOY + LM4562 or adapted OP627's sound awesome with it. Brings forward the highs and mids to make it more neutral yet retain its strengths. Seriously, give it a try.

As a dynamic driver IEM it seals (it has damn good bass) and isolates (the 650 cant do this by design). It has mids and highs beyond the league of the px100 for sure. The price is right. Build quality isnt spectacular (should hold up) and it looks are plain, but it's pure functionality. These are even more portable than your px100.

do some research on the Atrio thread, it's huge.

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i recommend Atrio M5 IEM (sounds more like a headphone than IEM) for your price range

Then you have to tell me where you can get the Atrios for $25-30.
tongue.gif

I think he wants to have the PX100’s sound in a closed headphone. For the same price. Did I get it?

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by aureus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you have to tell me where you can get the Atrios for $25-30.
tongue.gif

I think he wants to have the PX100’s sound in a closed headphone. For the same price. Did I get it?

Not closed, just bigger cans, since the px100 gets ucomfortable after a few hours. ence why i dont want to spend a lot of money. I cant use IEMs so thats out of the question. Im guessing i should just bear with the px100 as there doesnt seem to be anything that can match it without severely increasing te budget

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #26 of 53
You might want to take a look at the Senn HD 555. Nice big circumaural design w/ velour pads. It should be easy to drive from your set up, has a good low end and shouldn't have a sibilance problem although it also won't give you full extension in the upper range (but better than your PX 100s).

The HD 485 that was mentioned will also be easy to drive, and will certainly give you a bass kick. Not my cup of tea, but given that you like to pump up the bass it may be yours. It is cheaper than the 555, but the 555 is a substantially better sounding can in terms of accuracy, transparency, and soundstage.

Another cheap but decent Senn that should be easy to drive and more comfortable is the EH 350. I don't think you'll like it as much as the bass is a bit too laid back given your taste. It is decently balanced and has some of the characteristics of the larger flagship Senns (though nowhere near the quality), but I think the previous 2 will be more to your liking. There are some other Senns, but I either haven't heard them (HD 415 & 465) or didn't think they were nearly as good as others in their price range (HD 515).

There are a couple open Beyerdynamics, e.g. the DT 440, but I didn't find it faired well in comparison to the Senns mentioned above in the same price range. It tended to be a bit bright & odd (I can't remember exactly why now but I remember thinking something was off), and unlike some more expensive & differently designed BDs (770, 880) didn't have the family's high quality bass. Definitely comfy for my noggin, though.

Remember, you can also dip your toe into the used market. Perhaps more difficult where you are than here in the states, but if you are patient you can try a couple candidates and unload the ones that don't make the cut with little or no loss.

I didn't have extended listening sessions or well-structured comparative tests between most of these, and based on what you said we have different sound priorities, so take what I say with a grain or two of salt.

Oh, and if you don't like your Go Vibe, try to sell it and pick up another used amp. There are a number of decent quality amps floating around for near what you might get for yours.

Happy hunting!

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get some large cheap open cans (ATH-AD300 ?) and plant PX100 drivers in them

I'm surprised this point hasn't been brought up again. It may have some inherent flaws, but considering the relative improbability of finding phones comparable to the PX100 with an open design, this might be the best you'll get. Plus with some epoxy and a box cutter it doesn't seem too difficult at all
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #28 of 53
A lot of good suggestions, thx
smily_headphones1.gif
The HD485 seem to be mentioned a lot, I'll try to test a pair when i get back home, the local hifi shop carries a lot of senns, goldrings and denons.

Mounting the drivers in larger cans isnt really a good idea, i think. My experience is that the bass is lost if you loose the pressure to te ears that designs like the px100 offer - so mounting it in larger cans would remove the pressure hence not provide the same sound.

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #29 of 53
485 from me also. Definitely similar to px100 and very comfy and cheap now from ebay. If you're looking for reference type phones forget it, these are are not going to knock you out with precission. But I use them bedtimes for some nice low volume chill outs. I amp them with mini3 which does tighten up the bass considerably but your D2 will power them just fine, hell even my U2 can.

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #30 of 53
try new pads on the px-100?

i tried on the px-100 and they put barely any pressure on my ears/head... but i dunno about the for long term use (hours+++)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back