Headphones with the Most Bass for Hip-Hop That Do Not Need an Amp
Jun 22, 2011 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

BassInMyFace

100+ Head-Fier
So after a year of reading through these forums since my love for headphones/sound began, I finally just registered.

I am on trying to find the set of headphones that produce the most bass.  Yes, I have read all of the threads on this topic already.  I was about to pull the trigger on a set of Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (80 ohms) - which seem to always take the title for the most bass produced, BUT I have NO interest in purchasing an amp for them.  The vast majority of people say that you need an amp to release their full potential...

This leads to my question:

Which headphones produce the most bass and DO NOT need an amp?

I will be using them solely to listen to my music collection from my computer at my desk.  I run Foobar and listen almost exclusively to hip-hop.  For those of you familiar with IEMs, I was VERY happy when I purchased a set of UE SuperFi 5 EB.  They are perfect for me, and I am looking for a full-size headphone to complement their abilities for at home use.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 27
Heya,

Probably the AudioTechnica M50's for price/bass/performance, Sennheiser HD438's (cloth cup, strong bass), or a pair of Sony's XB500 (or 700's) (bbaaaaassssss) without an amp (in order of price).

The Beyer DT770 Pro 80's that you mentioned are definitely a good performer. I have them. They're my portable headphones due to closed back and ease to drive. I have tested them extensively from my Sansa Fuze with no additional AMP and no EQ settings used and the bass is good, full and tight. They can be run from a simple device without an additional AMP. I will however say that when I add my V1 amp to the mix, they do indeed take on a different life even when the volume is at the same level. Everything just gets more full. So if you don't want any amping at all, you may want to avoid them. Again, they sound great and the bass is very good even without an amp from a simple fuze (and my Transformer tab even), but they are a different headphone with an amp, so that's to be considered since they're $200 headphones.

End of the day it comes down to comfort, sound and style.

Which headphones do you like the feel/look of?

I can't stand the fake leather plastic stuff that are on headphones (like the M50's and Sonys). I have to have the cloth velor pillows on my full cans or I simply cannot wear them. I've returned so many headphones to Amazon because of that even when they sounded incredible, because they were a pain to wear (those plastic/plether feeling cups get damp on your skin and if you're out and about and sweat it's horrible). So naturally I use HD580's (cloth cups) and DT770 Pro's (cloth cups). But that's my preference.

Very best,

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 27

Quote:
Heya,

Probably the AudioTechnica M50's for price/bass/performance, Sennheiser HD438's (cloth cup, strong bass), or a pair of Sony's XB500 (or 700's) (bbaaaaassssss) without an amp (in order of price).

The Beyer DT770 Pro 80's that you mentioned are definitely a good performer. I have them. They're my portable headphones due to closed back and ease to drive. I have tested them extensively from my Sansa Fuze with no additional AMP and no EQ settings used and the bass is good, full and tight. They can be run from a simple device without an additional AMP. I will however say that when I add my V1 amp to the mix, they do indeed take on a different life even when the volume is at the same level. Everything just gets more full. So if you don't want any amping at all, you may want to avoid them. Again, they sound great and the bass is very good even without an amp from a simple fuze (and my Transformer tab even), but they are a different headphone with an amp, so that's to be considered since they're $200 headphones.

End of the day it comes down to comfort, sound and style.

Which headphones do you like the feel/look of?

I can't stand the fake leather plastic stuff that are on headphones (like the M50's and Sonys). I have to have the cloth velor pillows on my full cans or I simply cannot wear them. I've returned so many headphones to Amazon because of that even when they sounded incredible, because they were a pain to wear (those plastic/plether feeling cups get damp on your skin and if you're out and about and sweat it's horrible). So naturally I use HD580's (cloth cups) and DT770 Pro's (cloth cups). But that's my preference.

Very best,

Thanks for the awesome response MalVeauX!  I appreciate it.  Price honestly isn't too big of a factor for me right now; I just want exceptional bass/SQ without having to get an amp for my computer.  Which out of those three would you say are the most bass?  Are you a bass fan as well?  I'm assuming you've went through multiple sets and have done a lot of research like I am.  I am very familiar with the IEM market, just not full-size headphones yet.

To be honest, looks/style don't matter to me one bit.  I know that may be important to some, but it's the least of my priorities when I'm sitting at my desk in my boxers
biggrin.gif
.  It's all about the low end and solid SQ for me!

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 27
Heya,

I'm biased, as I have the DT770 Pro's myself. A lot more people likely have/use the AudioTechnica M50's. They're less expensive too, and certainly need no amp. If you want more bass, the Sony's pretty much are the most bass at the price point. I can't speak for their overall sound signature, as I've not worn a pair (I could never wear them, they look ridiculous and the pads are not cloth thus I will not use anything non-clothed; my own pickiness). For your dollar, the AudioTechnica M50's are likely going to be the best candidate. But again, it comes down to feel.

You can get on google and look at most of the popular headphone makers, like AKG, Sennheiser, AudioTechnica, BeyerDyanmic, Grado, and look for ones with the lower impedances (to avoid needing an AMP for that purpose). Note, just because something is low impedance (low Ohm) doesn't mean it doesn't need an amp. Some headphones are less sensitive and require power to produce sound (AKG's are known for this for example, even if the ohms are low on the set).

In general, more bass tends to come from closed cans. Some of the open-air cans can get really good bass too, but tend to be higher impedance and require amps too. There's a popular 'basshead' thread here on the forum, if you search for it, that compares a lot of data and subjective material on headphones in price ranges. I'm not a fanatic basshead. But I definitely need bass. I can't deal with headphones like the AD700's that have no bass to speak of. I have tried quite a few headphones for this purpose (via Amazon, and returned them all, hah hah) and ended up with my DT770 Pro's. They do the job for me and have the comfort/style that suits me. I like 'em big and clothy.

Again, for you, easily the AudioTechnica M50's. I'm sure you can find some locally to try on. Check it out. And know that you can mod headphones if there's something about them that really bugs you (pads for example).

Very best,

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 27
Pro700 MKII if you're going for the M50. Most people going for the M50 come back disappointed at the bass, so the Pro700 MKII is a great alternative.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 27
Interesting.  I'm going to try to find that basshead thread now.  Are the Pro700 MKII the bassiest Audio-Technica then?  I was under the original impression that the M50's were...

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 27
Another question guys: I just read on one "basshead" thread that no bass-emphasized full-size headphone can compare to a bass-emphasized IEM.  The IEM will supply more bass everytime.

Is there truth to this???

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 27
Yeah. The Pro700 MKII are bassier than the M50, definitely.

As for IEM's bass beating the full-sized' bass, it's really up to the selection.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 27
Does anyone know if the Pro700 MKII need an amp like the DT770 Pro (80 ohm) to reach their potential, or can they reach it without one? 

I understand an amp will almost always make headphones sound better, but I really don't have any interest in purchasing one.

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 27
sony XB500 = more bass punch
XB700 = more low bass rumble, with good punch too. No need for an amp either

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 27
I'm quite happy with my DT770 Pro 80s, and they have plenty of bass for me. They sound great unamped, and even better amped (through headphone micro stack).

I see the AudioTechnica M50's talked about a lot. I might just need to get a pair of those myself to try also.

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
sony XB500 = more bass punch
XB700 = more low bass rumble, with good punch too. No need for an amp either

Wasn't the general head-fi consensus that the XB500 had cleaner, better bass overall, and that the XB700 was just muddy and sloppy?

Nevermind I was thinking about the XB1000.

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
do you want bass quality or just lots and lots of bass?

budget?

Honestly, and I'm prepared to get flamed for this, but after having both, I found myself personally happier with quantity over quality.  Then again, all of the headphones I've used did not have bad quality bass either - I made sure to avoid that, but the good quality ones with high quantity made me most happy.

I really like the Pro700 MKII but just want to make sure they do not need an amp to be unleashed like the DT770 Pro (80 ohm).

I don't want to spend more than $250 right now.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Pro700 MKII need an amp like the DT770 Pro (80 ohm) to reach their potential, or can they reach it without one? 

I understand an amp will almost always make headphones sound better, but I really don't have any interest in purchasing one.

Last attempt: anyone have any idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back