Headphones with the best soundstage...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #17 of 27
  LCD-XC closed design, large soundstage, easy to drive and superior sound quality but poor noise cancellation.
it seems even with the closed design you'll still hear a lot of outside noise hmmm..

not really a problem... i need the sound not to leak outside.... i am ok, as i listen in pretty silent envoirments

Edit:: for headphones, my conclusion is that i will test everything i fiind closed back, and go with what i like the most.... i need source advice, so i made a thread in portable gear thread...

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #18 of 27
  not really a problem... i need the sound not to leak outside.... i am ok, as i listen in pretty silent envoirments

Edit:: for headphones, my conclusion is that i will test everything i fiind closed back, and go with what i like the most.... i need source advice, so i made a thread in portable gear thread...

IMHO Then LCD-XC is a clear winner.

Hugo + LCD-XC
or AK240 + ALO rxmk3 + LCD-XC

add a moon audio black dragon cable to make things even better :D 

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #19 of 27
  IMHO Then LCD-XC is a clear winner.

Hugo + LCD-XC
or AK240 + ALO rxmk3 + LCD-XC

add a moon audio black dragon cable to make things even better :D 

the voltage production of hugo is way lower than that of ak240... or fiio x5 that i already own, for that matter... how comes that i see everywhere that it is able to drive every audeze headphone and even the hd800?... also, ak240 has a 2 volts output... do i really need another piece of equipment, like alo rxmk3?......

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #20 of 27
If your budget is unlimited, I did hear some people mention Sony MDR R10 and Audio Technica L3000. They are both closed back headphone so they do not leak a lot of noise, and they do reproduce sound through Fiio E12, though I cannot guarantee a good one. They are both very rare and is probably going cost you at least $5000. If you can find one and buy one, go for it.

A lot of people say how IEM's cannot compete against full sized headphones in terms of soundstage. My ears might be a little weird, I don't know, but I disagree. For example, my Hidition New Tears 6 CIEM has larger soundstage than my AKG K701, an open back full sized headphone. In other words, if you want a headphone that does not leak sound, that can be amped with a portable DAP or an amp, and doesn't cost you over $3000 (which is your budget right?), try considering high end IEM's.

If you do consider IEM's as your possible headphone, I can give you a few recommendations, since I also am a fan of huge sound stage or airy sound. My ears are terrible, so often times I confuse soundstage space with the airiness of treble. If you are in any way similar to me, you will want an IEM with very little bass quantity, and a lot of highs. This will give you a sense of standing in middle of an open field or an ocean.

My Soundstage IEM Recommendations:

1. Hidition New Tears 6 PRO ($1,199)
2. JH Audio Roxanne ($1,649)
3. Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitor ($1,999) Make sure to tell the people at UE that you want the largest soundstage possible, since this IEM will be tuned for your music taste.
4. AKG K3003 ($1,499) Use High Boost Filter.
5. Sony EX1000 ($599) 

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #21 of 27

the voltage production of hugo is way lower than that of ak240... or fiio x5 that i already own, for that matter... how comes that i see everywhere that it is able to drive every audeze headphone and even the hd800?... also, ak240 has a 2 volts output... do i really need another piece of equipment, like alo rxmk3?......

I honestly don't know the answer. 

I haven't tried using my HD800 directly to my AK240.

thats one thing to try later.

but with the lcd-xc

Not really, Ak240 has sufficient power to drive the lcd-xc but a little more power won't hurt. I just prefer to use the alo rxmk3 for the balanced trrs connection. better imaging, slight better soundstage and better bass quality because of the bass knob on the alo.

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #22 of 27
  If your budget is unlimited, I did hear some people mention Sony MDR R10 and Audio Technica L3000. They are both closed back headphone so they do not leak a lot of noise, and they do reproduce sound through Fiio E12, though I cannot guarantee a good one. They are both very rare and is probably going cost you at least $5000. If you can find one and buy one, go for it.

A lot of people say how IEM's cannot compete against full sized headphones in terms of soundstage. My ears might be a little weird, I don't know, but I disagree. For example, my Hidition New Tears 6 CIEM has larger soundstage than my AKG K701, an open back full sized headphone. In other words, if you want a headphone that does not leak sound, that can be amped with a portable DAP or an amp, and doesn't cost you over $3000 (which is your budget right?), try considering high end IEM's.

If you do consider IEM's as your possible headphone, I can give you a few recommendations, since I also am a fan of huge sound stage or airy sound. My ears are terrible, so often times I confuse soundstage space with the airiness of treble. If you are in any way similar to me, you will want an IEM with very little bass quantity, and a lot of highs. This will give you a sense of standing in middle of an open field or an ocean.

My Soundstage IEM Recommendations:

1. Hidition New Tears 6 PRO ($1,199)
2. JH Audio Roxanne ($1,649)
3. Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitor ($1,999) Make sure to tell the people at UE that you want the largest soundstage possible, since this IEM will be tuned for your music taste.
4. AKG K3003 ($1,499) Use High Boost Filter.
5. Sony EX1000 ($599) 

Thank you for answering... i need an universal iem...

i might consider hidition new tears 6 pro, as they seem to be smaller than roxanne....
i don't actually understand how ultimate eras personal reference monitor works.... i might not want to spend 2000$ on iems...

i don't actually want to spend 5000$ on headphones, and i don't want to buy something i cannot test for headphones... for iems, i think that nobody can test them...

so... my new iems list is hidition new tears  6 pro, and jh roxanne if i cannot get new tears.....

akg k3003 would be out of my prefference list, as they cannot get their cable changed.... and other reasons.... sony seems like it would do a worse job at other aspects....

also, after looking after new tears, they don't seem to be done for universal use... and i really cannot use custom iems.... 

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #23 of 27
  Thank you for answering... i need an universal iem...

i might consider hidition new tears 6 pro, as they seem to be smaller than roxanne....
i don't actually understand how ultimate eras personal reference monitor works.... i might not want to spend 2000$ on iems...

i don't actually want to spend 5000$ on headphones, and i don't want to buy something i cannot test for headphones... for iems, i think that nobody can test them...

so... my new iems list is hidition new tears  6 pro, and jh roxanne if i cannot get new tears.....

akg k3003 would be out of my prefference list, as they cannot get their cable changed.... and other reasons.... sony seems like it would do a worse job at other aspects....

also, after looking after new tears, they don't seem to be done for universal use... and i really cannot use custom iems.... 

Yes, Hidition New Tears 6 PRO is a CIEM, so that's not an option for you. Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitor is also a CIEM so never mind that. It's too bad you don't like AKG K3003. As for Sony EX1000, yes, the sound quality is not quite in the same league as the other high end IEM's. In fact, a lot of people would say that the EX1000 is actually mid-fi IEM. However, due to the vent and the awkward design, soundstage is one of the things that they excel at. It is not quite as large as New Tears 6 PRO or AKG K701, but they are still very, very large for an IEM.

I guess your best bet is the JH Audio Roxanne. I will do some more research, but please keep in mind that these are the IEM's that I am most knowledgeable with. On top of my head though, other universal IEM's that I can think of are:
1. Earsonics S-EM6 ($795)
2. Final Audio Design Piano Forte X-G ($2,999)
3. Noble 6 ($999)

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #24 of 27
just my 2 cents.

I have both the AKG k3003 and JH roxanne (astell & kern edition)

AKG K3003 - has one of the best imaging and sound staging i've heard from an IEM. only downside is the small metal piece protruding at the side. makes it impossible for long listening sessions, i feel pain even after 10 minutes of wearing it.

Roxanne universal A&K - my favourite IEM, Everything is clear and for me has one of the best balance and sound spacing on a universal IEM. No listening fatigue even for hours of listening. 

These are dark IEM's but ive heard the non A&K version is fairly neutral compared to the A&K version.

Only downside of the roxanne aside from its huge size is the poor build quality. Very uneven shell,  wiring is so soft and fragile it feels thats its going to break every time i untangle it, visible small sharp edges from the cutting of the shell.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #25 of 27
thanks for all of your help!..

i could go for akg 3003, if it would be on par with jh roxanne or other options i could have... they have a maximum power of 15mW.... i don't know how to translate this into what i can understand... i don't want my very strong DAP or DAC to burn them....

also, final audio piano forte is way more expensive than what i wanted to spend, and looks,... well... i am afraid of purchasing it without trying first, and i cannot try.. as for the noble 6 and warsonics sem6, the reviews scare me off....

i actually am pretty interested in the entire sound... i considered sennheiser ie800, but i had sennheiser ie8, and.... well... ie8 has literally no soundstage for me....

so, my actual list is like 

-akg 3003 
-jh roxanne

i kind of got scared by some negative reviews for akg 3003.... like that the low driver is not as good as mid and high driver.....  but at the price point i can get the roxanne universal... so i am questioning myself which one has the better soundstage, and searching through reviews.... 
i am questioning myself if 12 drivers can actually sound better than 3 driver, and if there will be more soundstage and quality to roxannes than akg....

[for me it is a better deal to get akg 3003/sennheiser ie800/ ultrasone iq for iems.... because i don't have to get them from outside my country, but then again, i want the most sound quality, and at this price point, i must get the best, not the most conveninent]

thanks for all the help!.... i hope i am not a bother..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back