Headphones with Magnepan detail (recommendations please)
May 25, 2016 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

asilker

Head-Fier
Hey folks,
I've spent quite a bit more time over at Audiokarma.org but my handle is the same as here (and a number of other forums). However, Head-fi seems to be king for DAC, digital, and of course headphone concerns!

So I am back to ask the experts for a recommendation. I've been listening to a pair of Magnepan MG1c planar speakers. The resolution is breathtaking, they have a real sense of speed, and they seem to project through the whole room. However, these speakers sometimes feel a bit mid focused and have trouble reproducing drum impact. In the interest of keeping my setup simple and owning one of each piece of gear, the Maggies will likely soon be gone. However, I am interested in discovering if there is a headphone that can provide me with this kind of sonic signature and resolution. I have owned JBL, Yamaha, Infinity, Tekton, Genesis, Magnepan and others, but my headphones have always been a trusty set of AT M50's.

I'm wondering if STAX would provide what I'm looking for. What else should I be considering? 

May 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 15
Definitely look at Stax, also check out HiFiman http://audio46.com/hifiman-edition-x-vs-he1000-vs-he560-comparison-review/
and look at Audeze https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-x
And for dynamics look at Sennheiser HD800S http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-800-Reference-Headphone/dp/B00PXLX2TC
And Audio-Technica AD2000X http://www.amazon.com/Technica-Audiophile-ATH-AD2000X-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S32ZPI

I couldn't tell you what sounds closest to Magnepan speakers though. I'm curious myself.

Amp will make a big difference too.

May 25, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 15
If you prefer more subjective reviews and less technical knowledge and a lot of misinformation and noise to wade through, then Head-Fi is king. 

If you want speed and resolution of a magnepan then try some planar headphones - there are a bunch available, and if you want just a taste with very little admission price then get the Fostex T50RP which can also be modded if you like to high-end sound levels. The two other major paths are electrostatics (STAX dominates the market here) and some top of the line dynamic driver types (nothing in the mid-fi price realm is going to get you to Magnepan level but will still bel impressive if you're not used to what headphones can bring vs speakers).

Lots of people with Magnepans around here. I think there is a Maggie thread, so maybe ask there from those users. I have MMGs and have owned several planar and electrostatics, and owning Magnepans has influenced me to seek more of that sound. Also, you're going to need open headphones and not closed. Magnepans are "open", the backs are not sealed closed which creates that open, airy, fast, clear, wide, delicious non-boxy sound.

Also, seek a Head-Fi meet in Chicago as that can be the best thing you can do on your audio quest because you can try it all in a day.

EDIT: beat me to it!

May 25, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 15
Lol well every forum I've been in has its share of subjectivity. There's the sheep, but also the anti-sheep who band together and themselves become sheep. People are funny.

Anyhow, I will check out those brands. I haven't considered headphones as a serious listening outlet because I've performer the space that speakers provide. But I'm always interested in hearing what's out there.

There are some really high quality hifi shops in this city, so I'll have to stop through the headphones next time I'm there.

May 25, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 15
Lol well every forum I've been in has its share of subjectivity. There's the sheep, but also the anti-sheep who band together and themselves become sheep. People are funny.

Anyhow, I will check out those brands. I haven't considered headphones as a serious listening outlet because I've performer the space that speakers provide. But I'm always interested in hearing what's out there.

There are some really high quality hifi shops in this city, so I'll have to stop through the headphones next time I'm there.

For serious listening, headphones are advantageous. Extreme detail due to proximity of drivers to ear, and they don't have to deal with room acoustics. And the cost is CHEAP considering the levels of resolution, etc. Mid-Fi for the most part (sub-$500 lets say) will not blow you away when you try them, but look for a shop carrying the top-shelf stuff. While it's very difficult for Magnepans to play bass loudly or to extend very low, something like a planar Audeze will go down to 20Hz easily and flawlessly. It is nice sound.

May 26, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 15
My setup right now is an Audio-Technica AD1000X = $300
Little Dot 1+ $115 with upgraded op amp $100 and upgraded tubes $35 = $250
NuPrime uDSD usb dac = $180

Total = $730 (not including cables and additional tubes or op amps I've tried)

May 26, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 15
My budget will likely be under $500. I do like the idea of planars.

You can get great stuff for that budget if you're willing to go USED. Buying used is awesome when it comes to headphones because shipping is relatively easy and cheap compared to speakers. If you're careful, you can sample tons of stuff without really spending anything if you continuously buy/sell/trade. 

May 26, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 15
For planars under $500, check out the HiFiman HE400i: http://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-HE400i-Full-size-Magnetic-Headphones/dp/B00MULH672

May 26, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 15
I have some Maggie 3.6s... and I will agree that the various posts. I'd look at the planar headphones and the HD800s
  1. Stax
  2. Mr Speakers Ether
  3. Audeze (LCD & EL-8)
  4. HifiMan HE-1000 and HE-X

Of these, the HE-1000 was the closest to speakers that I've heard.

May 26, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #11 of 15
You can get great stuff for that budget if you're willing to go USED. Buying used is awesome when it comes to headphones because shipping is relatively easy and cheap compared to speakers. If you're careful, you can sample tons of stuff without really spending anything if you continuously buy/sell/trade. 

This is exactly what I've been doing with room hifi. I also refoam and resell speakers like crazy.

That being said, I only buy new when I feel o absolutely must. The new items in my rig are tubes, phono stylus, and my portable FIIO X1.

I may aim for the Hifiman HE 500 models as I see them in Craigslist frequently for under $500. This would leave some money for the next toy as well.

May 26, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 15
I'd also checkout the Deals thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/

There are deals that pop up from time to time that are quite competitive with used prices.

May 26, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 15
This is exactly what I've been doing with room hifi. I also refoam and resell speakers like crazy.

That being said, I only buy new when I feel o absolutely must. The new items in my rig are tubes, phono stylus, and my portable FIIO X1.

I may aim for the Hifiman HE 500 models as I see them in Craigslist frequently for under $500. This would leave some money for the next toy as well.

HE-500 locally on Craigslist? The HE-500 is becoming more desirable because its recently gone out of production, easy to drive, and the sound is still preferred over many newer offerings priced similarly. I would get that if I were you and call it a day! I love the sound from the HE-500. It's my suspicion the product was dropped from the lineup because it was too good and didn't help HiFiMan with it's new pricing scheme (read: newer pricier scheme)... I would buy that and NOT sell it for a time. Keep it as your benchmark (its certainly above mid-fi and worthy of a magnepan lover), and who knows, maybe used prices on it will inflate.

Yeah. I used AudioKarma because I'd like to buy/sell speakers off of Craigslist for a time. You get to see a lot of interesting and expensive audio setups from visiting seller's homes. Chicago though! 

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #14 of 15
Hi,

I have the same question (Maggie sound), but for IEMs.  I've used Shure 435, IE800, FiiO EX1.  Just returned the ie800's.  REALLY didn't like the sound.  Had no idea there was such huge differences, TBH.

Thank you!

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 15
Well, Audeze released their iSine IEMs, there are some other electrostatic IEMs.  Again, depends on budget.  I got to listen to some JH Audio IEMs at a meet and they were pretty amazing (but should be given their price).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back