Headphones under 70$ for a "girl" friend
Sep 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

imsethsherry

New Head-Fier
hey guys, so i have a question for ya's! its my lady friends bday and shes always complaining to me how her headphones suck. so, since i am an awesome friend i want to really make her smile and get a decent pair of cans for her. first some background on what she likes

full size
she will be listening to music only on her laptop (integrated soundcard)
she likes violin/drum n bass/orchestra

i was just thinkin bout the sony xb500, but is there a better option? i want obviously the best quality for her needs. thanks again guys

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 11
Forget about the XB500 if she is not a basshead.

You should step the budget 5 bucks up and get her the Fostex T50RP or maybe look at some Grado SR60, for example.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 11

Instead of instruments she likes, do you know certain bands that she likes? Or certain -specific- songs? Like, does she enjoy rock? Does she like the Beatles or she prefers the Rolling Stones, or prefer Lady Gaga/Black Eyed Peas. Getting more specific will make it easier for people to suggest certain brands.

If she's a fan of rock music, and not a basshead, the Grado SR60i would probably be a direct choice to make.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 11
Grado sr60s should be great for her. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 11
Biggest concern is drum n bass was listed as something she likes...and then the Grado would be awful.

Fostex would be probably my suggestion (or at $80 the Senn. 280). If there's something she complains about with them you could even offer to mod them for her. Some of them are easy and improve SQ quite a bit.

Quote:
Grado sr60s should be great for her. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 11
i got her into drum n bass, so she listens to it occasionally.
i just want her to listen to music in a whole new way and appreciate what she is hearing. she has real crappy headphones and want to make her smile.

i think the grado SR60's are what im leaning towards.

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
i got her into drum n bass, so she listens to it occasionally.
i just want her to listen to music in a whole new way and appreciate what she is hearing. she has real crappy headphones and want to make her smile.

i think the grado SR60's are what im leaning towards.

If you want her to listen to music in a whole new way, those would be the Grado SR60i's. It sounds almost like you've already decided on those in the first place.

The main thing is that the Grado's have very weak bass, without an amp or an equalizer. However, if that's something that can be resolved further down the line, you're golden. Even just having an Fiio E5 ($20 dollars) was a great improvement for my SR80i's, which are only just a few steps from the SR60i's. I think she'll be pleased, and it'll probably open up her opinion/start her down the line of appreciating the finer things in life. Wanting an upgrade is the only foreseeable downfall for getting the SR60. It is... inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back