Headphones under $200 for dubstep, hardcore, trance, kpop?
Jan 23, 2011 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

eradlen

New Head-Fier
Hello! I want to pick up some headphones to use while I am at my computer, but I am kind of lost as to what to get. I have searched and am still a bit lost unfortunately.  I listen to a lot of electronic music such as dubstep, hardcore, trance, hardstyle, eurodance, etc, and I also listen to kpop.

Here are some examples of what I listen to just in case someone would like to get an idea of what I plan to use these headphones for:

Dubstep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6iyNXpsDlQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=28s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9CQyzty1E&feature=player_detailpage#t=50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx2nH2RJEAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmCe3fg7B4w

Hardcore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SInklUbxaIM#t=50s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHcTyvIaKXk&feature=player_detailpage#t=74s

Trance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR_w7qFCGZM&feature=player_detailpage#t=66s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmd0SRTmDRU&feature=player_detailpage#t=88s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQBEOY-Tqqc&feature=player_detailpage#t=203s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxRwPWf8_yE

Kpop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyROBgl7wlA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGvwy3qhjDM

I would like to spend $200 or less, what would you recommend I look into getting?

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 20
Welcome to Head-Fi!

You might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt, since I don't listen to a lot of electronic music, but I got the impression that Ultrasones would be very good with the types of music you described.  You might look into the Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-680, or HFi-780 as solid options.  You might have to look around a bit, but I think you should be able to find them for around $200 or less.

I had both the HFi-680 and HFi-780 in the past.  I'd describe them as being more forward in the bass and treble.  As a result, the mids are somewhat recessed in the presentation -- this is something of a problem for acoustic, vocal, or rock music (which is why I no longer have any Ultrasones), but it might actually be an ideal sound signature for electronic music.  Overall, the sound is very tight, clear, and controlled.  They also seem to be relatively quick -- another quality which is good for electronic music.

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 20
Mike from Headfonia likes the TMA-1 for EDM.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi!

You might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt, since I don't listen to a lot of electronic music, but I got the impression that Ultrasones would be very good with the types of music you described.  You might look into the Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-680, or HFi-780 as solid options.  You might have to look around a bit, but I think you should be able to find them for around $200 or less.

I had both the HFi-680 and HFi-780 in the past.  I'd describe them as being more forward in the bass and treble.  As a result, the mids are somewhat recessed in the presentation -- this is something of a problem for acoustic, vocal, or rock music (which is why I no longer have any Ultrasones), but it might actually be an ideal sound signature for electronic music.  Overall, the sound is very tight, clear, and controlled.  They also seem to be relatively quick -- another quality which is good for electronic music.

Do you know how the HFI-580/680/780 compare to the ATH-M50?

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
For a nice bass, people love the Audio Technicas Ath-M50s :)

I have pretty much come down to the HFI-(5/6/7)80 headphones and ATH-M50s, I have never really owned decent headphones but from what I have read people make it sound like the bass is punchy on the HFI ones while the M50 is more textured, and I have read that the HFI ones are textured and the M50s are more punchy (so basically the same statement just flipped which is confusing me). I have read that the bass is too heavy on HFI and other posts I have read that ATH-M50s are too heavy, I am kind of confused it seems that for every statement I see it is used to describe each pair:/.

I listen to a lot of dubstep where bass is prominent but I also like trance that has heavy synths, and hardstyle also has heavy synths along with bass, and when I read about punchy bass I picture bass overpowering absolutely everything with vocals kind of lost, I also listen to kpop and don't want to miss out on the actual lyrics. Overall I am incredibly confused and feeling overwhelmed, any solid insight would be greatly appreciated :)!

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 20
Sorry, can't help with the HFi vs. M50 comparison -- I've never owned an M50.  Never even tried one, actually.

I've also read several times that some people prefer the Ultrasone Pro series over the HFi series -- so like Acix said, that's another option to look at as well.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 20
i really like my shure srh750dj headphones i think you will to judging by the genres of music you listen to. the bass is really good and accurate and it has good highs and lows. though the mids are a little recessed. i also find it has a really good sound stage for a closed can. they come in at around 150$. us

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 20
While I don't have much experience with headphones, I do listen to the same genre of music as you do and I've done some research about what cans to buy. Choices come down to HFI-780/580, the Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 line (if you don't have an external headphone amp you should stay with the 32 or 80 ohm models, hell I'm not even sure if those models can be driven without an amp), Denon D1100, and the Shure 750DJs. I don't really feel like i'm entitled to saying anything about these cans since I've never owned them, but if you do some research yourself i'm sure you'll get some good info.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
While I don't have much experience with headphones, I do listen to the same genre of music as you do and I've done some research about what cans to buy. Choices come down to HFI-780/580, the Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 line (if you don't have an external headphone amp you should stay with the 32 or 80 ohm models, hell I'm not even sure if those models can be driven without an amp), Denon D1100, and the Shure 750DJs. I don't really feel like i'm entitled to saying anything about these cans since I've never owned them, but if you do some research yourself i'm sure you'll get some good info.

Yeah I have been doing research for just about the entire day and I am still clueless. I have mainly run into recommendations of the ATH-M50 and HFI-580 and some DT770. I honestly don't know what to get and most of the reviews I have read speak of things I really don't have any experience with (recessed mids and what not) because I have never owned decent headphones and have no way to get an idea of what they mean, so the information is pretty useless for me. I really just need a pair that I can't go wrong with for the genres I listen to as a solid jumping off point, but I have yet to find anything that spells out what to purchase.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 20

Quote:

Been looking at these lately and they seem pretty awesome, at the end of his review he says:
"There is a lot of electronic and house music listeners out there. Not to mention the Jpop listeners would probably find the TMA-1 very fitting for their music too. Tracks after tracks, CDs after CDs of house, trance, and electronica, the AIAIAI TMA-1 is one hell of a musical journey! Truly, kudos to the guys at AIAIAI."

That covers the electronic genres I mainly listen to (except for dubstep) and it even brings up jpop which is similar to the kpop I listen to.
I am new to the headphone world but I feel the need to ask, how well known is this headfonia site and is it trustworthy, as in can I trust what this review is saying?

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Quote:

Been looking at these lately and they seem pretty awesome, at the end of his review he says:
"There is a lot of electronic and house music listeners out there. Not to mention the Jpop listeners would probably find the TMA-1 very fitting for their music too. Tracks after tracks, CDs after CDs of house, trance, and electronica, the AIAIAI TMA-1 is one hell of a musical journey! Truly, kudos to the guys at AIAIAI."

That covers the electronic genres I mainly listen to (except for dubstep) and it even brings up jpop which is similar to the kpop I listen to.
I am new to the headphone world but I feel the need to ask, how well known is this headfonia site and is it trustworthy, as in can I trust what this review is saying?

I have been reading their stuff for a while, so yeah, I would say so. They review alot of things, and go into good depth with reviews and the like. I got my TMA-1's after reading their review, and I love them. They're great for Bass and Club genres, like Trance, Electronica, House, Techno.

They are slightly dark though, and not as crystal clear as something like, the SRH-840's. You can EQ them well though, and they're extremely responsive to it.

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have been reading their stuff for a while, so yeah, I would say so. They review alot of things, and go into good depth with reviews and the like. I got my TMA-1's after reading their review, and I love them. They're great for Bass and Club genres, like Trance, Electronica, House, Techno.

They are slightly dark though, and not as crystal clear as something like, the SRH-840's. You can EQ them well though, and they're extremely responsive to it.

Well I have been reading a ton over TMA-1s and they seem to be agreed upon as great for electronic music/pop. I have a sound card so I have an EQ and I plan to use these 99% of the time at my desktop, with the music I linked in my first post (especially kpop) would you say that these would be a solid choice for my first purchase of decent quality headphones?

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 20

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well I have been reading a ton over TMA-1s and they seem to be agreed upon as great for electronic music/pop. I have a sound card so I have an EQ and I plan to use these 99% of the time at my desktop, with the music I linked in my first post (especially kpop) would you say that these would be a solid choice for my first purchase of decent quality headphones?

Either these, or the HD-25's. These have harder hitting bass I think, I have never tried the HD-25's.

I do have to warn you though, even though they are great with Techno, Dance, Club, House, Trance, and Electronica genres, they suffer compared to others in your price-range when it comes to Rock, acoustics, and mid/treble-based songs due to their darker Sig. They can easily be EQ'd to balance this out and make everything sound decent, but, if you either don't have a good EQ, or if you don't plan to, remember that.

Listen to other people's recommendations as well, not just mine, and you'll get what fits you best in the end. Trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back