Headphones to use at the gym?
Jun 22, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 7

Copied & pasted from my last gym headphone thread: iGrado's are the best solution i've found for using at the gym so far. I originally bought them for general listening, but they didn't get much use as they become quite uncomfortable after about an hour (as they clamp quite tightly to your head). I couldn't use them for commuting either, as they do leak sound - and although not a huge amount, it would be enough to annoy people around me. I then discovered they were almost the perfect headphones for gym use: rarely would a gym session last much over an hour, and they stick to your head throughout the most rigourous excercise. They also produce a good clean sound for the asking price, and the sound leakage is totally irrelevant in a noisey gym environment (you'd have to have them very loud before others would hear them). Also, if you like to train outdoors, their open design will probably save you getting run over.

If you've got a little more to spend, i'd go for the Audio Technica ATH-ES7. Although I haven't personally used them for gym work, they do apparently clamp quite tightly, offer good sound, reasonable isolation - and if you care - look very stylish.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 7
iGrado, PortaPro, or KSC75

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 7
I've already have a couple of Portapros, but they are not good to use at the gym and the sound quality is awful. Too much noise from the outside gets in. Usually they play pretty loud music at the gym.

Regarding the Grados, I'm not very fan of "behind head" headphones. 

The Audio Technica looks great, but it seems that they are discontinued. Do you know which replaced them?

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 7
I know Audio Technica are terrible for constantly updating and discontinuing various models, but they still look available to me? http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=38&prodID=210

Just be careful not to pick up one of the counterfeit sets that are about, if a price seems to good to be true it probably is.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 7
the KSC75 is a really good choice.  All the rest are really just too big IMO.  If you really get an excellent gym/running headphone, you're going to give up SQ anyway.  I strongly recommend the Yurbud ironman.  They are actually meant for working out.  They are sweat resistant and won't come out....you will however not get the sound quality of a KSC 75.  The downside to the Koss though is they will will wear out and the sweat will eventually eat them up and they'll die.

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
the KSC75 is a really good choice.  All the rest are really just too big IMO.  If you really get an excellent gym/running headphone, you're going to give up SQ anyway.  I strongly recommend the Yurbud ironman.  They are actually meant for working out.  They are sweat resistant and won't come out....you will however not get the sound quality of a KSC 75.  The downside to the Koss though is they will will wear out and the sweat will eventually eat them up and they'll die.

My recommendation also, although OP mentioned that he/she thought the Portapro's sounded terrible. The KSC75 sounds almost the same. Although, you won't get much better sound under $30...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back