Headphones to pair with Darkvoice 337
May 12, 2011 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

IMAWolf

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys, recently eyeing a Darkvoice 337, listen to a wide range of genres, any recommendations for a good all rounder <$500?
P.S. i have 2 grados but figured there will probably be impedance mismatch.

May 12, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 15
I'd go with a Sennheiser HD600 (or HD580 if you can find a good used pair. Replacement parts are easily obtained and installed).   In it's price range (and above) it's a fantastic headphone that pairs well with OTL tube amps.

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 15
no it doesn't..... when posting in international forums you should always mention what currency you're quoting in, or better yet. just convert to USD yourself. 

just chanced upon this thread cus I might be getitng a darkvoice 337 for cheap as well. 

has anyone tried it with the lcd-2 and yielded positive results?

Quote:
right, currently eyeing the DT880 or HD598.... pity my K240M ain't around anymore..... and yeah the HD650s cost... well $650 here in Singapore. Insane markup

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
no it doesn't..... when posting in international forums you should always mention what currency you're quoting in, or better yet. just convert to USD yourself

Converting to USD doesn't mean much in many instances. It doesn't take the economy into consideration.  EG:  K702= $599 in AUS (AUD), which = $631.35 USD
Now minimum wage in Australia is $15.51 which is $16.35 USD, however minimum wage in many US states = $7.25 - $8

Converting prices to USD from Australia is useless.

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 15
taking the economy into consideration is an even more pointless exercise - the variables to consider are simply inexhaustive, not to mention unnecessary. 

converting prices to USD on the other hand, is very useful for people who like to source for components from countries outside their home.  i.e if you wanted to buy camera lenses, Singapore is a great place to buy because it's relatively cheap compared to almost everywhere in Asia aside from Hong Kong (same can be said about electronics in general).  When you come to Singapore to buy lenses you don't care how much Singaporeans earn, how much taxes we pay, inflation rate, GDP etc, despite them having an impact on their perceived value to a Singaporean.  And if i gave you monetary value without stating the currency or converting it into USD, that monetary value becomes absolutely useless because you wouldn't know what that price refers to. 

given a pure arbitrage scenario without taking into count shipping/import duties, a standardized reference currency would elucidate the price differences across countries in exact numerical values.  this difference in values is also the reason why parallel imports exist - to take advantage of such price discrepancies. you can be sure that a level headed person engaging in such arbitrage activities is relatively unconcerned about the microeconomics in a country. the price discrepancy exists, hence the trade opportunity exists, and is taken advantage of.  we live in a global world. countries with higher priced products are considered "more expensive" on a globally weighted absolute basis, and local economics does not factor in.  if I live in Singapore and I can obtain a product here for 100 bucks and the same costs 500bucks in the states (shipping/duties included) then it is cheaper here, period.  Again, comparing real value (adjusted for economic factors such as wage) is completely pointless when addressing an international audience that doesn't care less.  Since we are clearly discussing prices for the benefit of such an audience, it makes perfect sense to just quote in USD or at least mention what currency you're using.  

hope that sets the record straight.  I shouldn't have bothered to write all that, but your condescending post involving a meaningless minimum wage calculation just annoyed me.  in your aussie case, yes you don't have to express values in USD if it makes you feel better quoting in Australian, just that people from the states (the majority here) would have to process that figure into USD on their own in order to derive any meaning out of it.  suit yourself, but just quoting a number without any currency indicator automatically lets people assume it's in USD, which gives a false impression. now whether the USD should continue to be the de facto global currency in global financial markets is a different subject altogether...perfects more suitable for another time.

Quote:
Converting to USD doesn't mean much in many instances. It doesn't take the economy into consideration.  EG:  K702= $599 in AUS (AUD), which = $631.35 USD
Now minimum wage in Australia is $15.51 which is $16.35 USD, however minimum wage in many US states = $7.25 - $8

Converting prices to USD from Australia is useless.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:

hope that sets the record straight.  I shouldn't have bothered to write all that, but your condescending post involving a meaningless minimum wage calculation just annoyed me.  

Condescending LOL.  Have a look a little closer to home; pot meet kettle.  My minimum wage calculation was only to illustrate that simply converting to USD in many situations is not the whole picture.  I agree that there are way too many variables to get a true picture of what a headphone/amp/camera etc is in comparison from one economy to another (and therefore pointless), that simply was my point. The original poster was stating that the HD650 was expensive (in his economy) it doesn't need to be converted to anything.

And as for my post annoying you, you should get external help if you get upset so easy. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 15
Yeah I see what you mean, and you both have a point. For just knowing what it's value is to us, only the currency conversion is necessary, but it isn't the whole picture. The whole picture is good to know so that you have a better understanding on if they are really and actually being overcharged or not.

And IMO, the Senns were already a dark 'phone and pairing them with my DV 337 makes them just a bit too warm for my tastes. Maybe an upgrade cable will really make the treble shine more, which is what I am looking for, and no the foam mod (removing the foam between your ears and the driver) actually does not help.

To me, it makes things sound worse since they become too bright for me, almost painfully bright actually, and the overall SQ goes down, and believe it or not there was a HUGE loss in detail. Instruments that were there with the foam disappeared when it was removed. Maybe the SQ is because of my tube selection but still. If you love a great sparkle in the highs and love them to extend far, this combo will not work very well if kept stock. An EQ or upgrade cable should help though.

Quote:

Condescending LOL.  Have a look a little closer to home; pot meet kettle.  My minimum wage calculation was only to illustrate that simply converting to USD in many situations is not the whole picture.  I agree that there are way too many variables to get a true picture of what a headphone/amp/camera etc is in comparison from one economy to another (and therefore pointless), that simply was my point. The original poster was stating that the HD650 was expensive (in his economy) it doesn't need to be converted to anything.

And as for my post annoying you, you should get external help if you get upset so easy.  

Oct 14, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Shouldn't you start with headphones and work your way back to amp...?

I'd advise this too, and for reasons you know very well as a fellow Stax owner. (All those dynamic amps suddenly become pointless when you find out that you like the electrostatic sound...)

Anyway, to the OP: Are those Singapore dollars, or US dollars? I'm guessing the former, but it's important to make sure anyway.

If you had a form of speaker amp lying around (perhaps an old receiver) to drive the cheaper transformer boxes, it might be worth importing a vintage Stax Lambda setup if you can find one within your price range. I've been pleased with mine for just about everything, though I just happen to really like the way electrostatics deliver sound. (Of course, this is if you're not insisting on that Darkvoice 337 amp, since electrostatics need their own specialized amps. If you do insist on it...perhaps an orthodynamic?)

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #15 of 15
Do you think the DV337 could even drive orthos? Like the HE-6? I know it would drive the LCD-2 fine, since it is so easy to drive, apparently.

Quote:

I'd advise this too, and for reasons you know very well as a fellow Stax owner. (All those dynamic amps suddenly become pointless when you find out that you like the electrostatic sound...)

Anyway, to the OP: Are those Singapore dollars, or US dollars? I'm guessing the former, but it's important to make sure anyway.

If you had a form of speaker amp lying around (perhaps an old receiver) to drive the cheaper transformer boxes, it might be worth importing a vintage Stax Lambda setup if you can find one within your price range. I've been pleased with mine for just about everything, though I just happen to really like the way electrostatics deliver sound. (Of course, this is if you're not insisting on that Darkvoice 337 amp, since electrostatics need their own specialized amps. If you do insist on it...perhaps an orthodynamic?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back