Headphones to compliment the DT990 PRO
Oct 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cidiano

New Head-Fier
The DT990 are great V shape cans for movies, gaming and electronic music. For rock music (midrange, vocals, guitars), i was thinking a Grado SR 225i might be a nice extra headphone to have. Or do you think they would not make much of a difference?

Any other recommendations for open headphones to compliment the DT990 are welcome.

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 6
  The DT990 are great V shape cans for movies, gaming and electronic music. For rock music (midrange, vocals, guitars), i was thinking a Grado SR 225i might be a nice extra headphone to have. Or do you think they would not make much of a difference?

Any other recommendations for open headphones to compliment the DT990 are welcome.

What sources are you plugging your headphones into?

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 6

Currently a solo Fiio E7 (my E9 connector is damaged), but soon to be an Aune T1.

The Aune T1 might improve the audio quality of the DT990 enough(from the tube) that you can hold off buying the Grado 225.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 6

The Grados have quite a bit different sound from the DT990s. Definitely much more forward mids. Guitar and midrange will stand out more. Bass is not as deeply extended down into the sub bass (below 50hz), but it is punchy.

Cost you $10 or $12 to demo them in return shipping if you buy from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon (but not 3rd party vendors). I would encourage you to try them because you might be the kind of person that loves the Grado sound for rock. I was skeptical myself that I would like them, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I am in that group that loves them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back