Headphones that YOU believe I MUST TRY!
Dec 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

mrAdrian

Headphoneus Supremus
EDIT: I took this long ago post because it really is the same problem, over and over again.

Every headfi-er somehow feels like they deserve a new headphone for various reasons e.g. they have finished homework or they have not spent on headphones for a week.

Having been around for a year, I believe I have acquired some seriously good headphones that together compliments each other well and covers a wide type of sound. However, it is always not enough.

Therefore, here I am looking for a present for myself. I guess a caught the shopaholic flue...

1. Looking for something that would provide me yet another different sound signature
  2. Source is a KECES DA-151, with a Meier Arietta SS amp and a DV 336i Tube amp (Sylvania 6SN7 / RCA 6080, but cheap tube rolls aren't a problem)

Anyone got suggestions? Also attach a small note about the headphone's sound signature and why do you think I should include it. Hopefully this thread would contain different short comments of various sidegrades of the mid/hi-end headphones with the most contrasting sound signature ^^

What I have:

Glorious Alessandro MS1000, lovely soundstage and so much emotion in the music. Not the most acurate but the warmth, the added bass, the added soundstage, the grado guitar work, the forward presentation... I love these cans

Legendary Sennheiser HD580 w/ 600 grills and 650 cables, just like every other HD580 in the market pretty much. Warm and laid back sound, amping them through my DV made them probably the favourite phone in my system. Jack of all trades, does everything right except the lowest lows...

Earthshaking Denon D2000. Clear (maybe recessed, if the HD580 is the reference point) vocals and highs for me, good if not excellent soundstage, deep bass. Beautiful headphone when you just need that bass.

The little but able Beyerdynamic DT1350. I don't use them for critical listening sessions as much, but I do like how I simply could not fault them. Again deep deep bass but in the 'right' quantity compared to the Denon. I like vocals on them. What else... Like a tiny portable isolating HD580 minus the extra warmth and laid back sig?

Rockin' Sennheiser HD25 Originals. Yeah they are great, but shoot me a pm if you want them :wink: As great as they are, I have a great portable can already, and for those bass+treble moments I already have the...

V-shaped TF10 - The most isolating pair of in-ears that I have, the only one with a mic too. Ask for more details.

GR07 - Ask for more details.

Audio Technica EW9 Clip ons, quite shrill sounding but they really know how to portrait female vocals. Lacking bass by a bit, and prominent mids/highs.

My girlfriend owns a pair of ATH AD-900 and its like the refined version of EW9. Better everything really, with a big and realistic soundstage (drools). But I consider that pair kind-of mine. She also has a pair of FA-011 but I find my D2000 better by quite a margin somehow :wink:

Current considerations: AKG K500. SONY SA-5000... Anyone feel like chiming in?

Dec 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 32
time to give a chance to AKGs and Beyers...
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 32
Exactly what I'm thinking :wink:

I saw old AKGs on FS... Sextette, k400, k500 
L3000.gif

I've got the D2000 already so I didn't think a lot towards the 770 or 990 :S
How do the 880 sound like?

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 32
tried the DT880/600 with a yamamoto tube amp once, and to my ears they are quite well balanced really smooth and pleasing to listen to. I didnt find it to be harsh whatsoever (kinda biased though, Im a bright lover)

cheers,

Dec 26, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 32
wouldn't the d7000 be out of his price range?

Dec 26, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 32

Quote:

Didn't saw any price range but I just got a Denon D7000 used but in mint condition at about $500. Hope that's a good deal.
bigsmile_face.gif

holy crap nice!

ive had my eyes on a denon for a while now, but i'm just gonna go for the LCD-2 
biggrin.gif

need a good headphone for my WA6SE.

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #12 of 32
Like my new ATH EW9 clip on?

I'm still deciding to whether keep them or not. Got it for a bargain at boxing day sales, and they looked too pretty.

Quote:
Headphones with wood always catch my attention.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 32

Quote:

Will it sound different to what I already have..? I mean for a sennheiser laid back sound I've got the HD600, and the Denon covers my bass need for my price range...

Quote:
Denon D7000? Easier to drive, closed back with extremely good bass dynamics.

Nice someone pointed out their price, and I already have a Denon, would like to invest in a different sound signature this time

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 32
HD600 is neutral when compared to the HD650, try the HD650, it's a good headphone for its price. You should also try anything in the AKG K70x series. Open, wide head stage and great instrument separation (closest to speaker separation I've heard). It also has a bass light sound, recessed mids, and great highs. For the most parts, it's great highs and open head stage define its signature.

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #15 of 32
I have tried the K701 before, although it is definite different, I unfortunately fell amongst the group who believes that it is too weak in bass. Right now I am looking at the akg vintages, maybe a K-500

Any experience in this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back