Headphones recommendation for Metal music
Dec 27, 2018 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

pocifik

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I'm looking for headphone to listen metal music, my preferred subgenres: power metal and melodic death metal.
I currently use sennheiser hd 280 pro and it sounds bad for my favorite music.
My budget up to $400.

Dec 27, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 30
Dec 27, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 30
Dec 27, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 30
I don't have any amp (because i'm not sure if it usefull for my current headphone), but i'd llke to buy it.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/ . You might want to check out this thread. Also it would help to say if you have a amp or not to help others give you recommendations.
I have read this thread, it's very helpful. Looks like Denon AH-D600 (overall good?) and AKG K7XX Red (cheap) good options, but i'm not sure.

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 30
AKG K7xx needs an amp,and in comparison to the Sextetts lack texture and musicality. I didnt like them for metal at all. I havent heard the Denons,but most of their headphones are V-shaped,meaning that the guitars and vocals are pushed into the background to an extent.

I dont know what the market is for used gear is in Moscow,but here in the U.S. you can get a decent vintage receiver and a pair of Sextetts and still come in under 400.00.

If you dont/cant get an amp,you can look into Grado/Alessandro headphones,but they are very uncomfortable for me,and arent nearly as good as the Sextetts IMO.

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 30
I dont know what the market is for used gear is in Moscow,but here in the U.S. you can get a decent vintage receiver and a pair of Sextetts and still come in under 400.00.
I checked Sextetts in my country, and only one guy selling it. Costs $100, Made in Austria. Photo: https://i.imgur.com/dxfnndI.png. Is it good deal and i also have to buy vintage receiver for it?

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 30
Dec 27, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 30
Thanks for answer. He said it's MP version, as i see from your guid it should be cream color.

Is there any guid for it, or recommendations what exactly i need for that headphone? I'm not good at it.

Hmmm...I have had a few requests to do a vintage receiver video,but its not ready yet,unfortunately.

My advice is to find one made before 1980,30-75wpc in good working condition.
I prefer Sansui,but Marantz,Pioneer,Akai,Yamaha,Onkyo,Kenwood will all work well.

Try to find a few for sale in Moscow and then share the links here and I will try to help.

The best thing to do is grab the sextetts,and then try to find a receiver thats close to where you live,take the sextetts with you and listen before you buy.

EDIT: The MP is my favorite sextett. I would buy it.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 30
My advice is to find one made before 1980,30-75wpc in good working condition.
I prefer Sansui,but Marantz,Pioneer,Akai,Yamaha,Onkyo,Kenwood will all work well.

Try to find a few for sale in Moscow and then share the links here and I will try to help.
Thanks a lot. I will do it when i get K240.

I really want to buy this headphone and don't even want to consider other options. But if for some reasons i can't buy it from that seller, then i will need another option.
Someone recommended me Fidelio X2 (as fallback). What do you think about it?

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 30
X2 for metal? No. Not even close.

Dec 28, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 30
X2 for metal? No. Not even close.
Thx. What about Fostex TH-X00 and Onkyo A800?

And i want to ask more about sextett, because i can't listen to it before buy. I've heard that sextett only good with retro music (60-90) is it true?
Also i've heard that headphones need to be "speedy" for some type of music (high speed music?) (not sure what it means)

I prefer high speed music, pronounced electric guitar.
Some examples: Falconer - Falconer, Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas, Dragonforce, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity.

Does sextett good for this kind of music?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #15 of 30
Thx. What about Fostex TH-X00 and Onkyo A800?

And i want to ask more about sextett, because i can't listen to it before buy. I've heard that sextett only good with retro music (60-90) is it true?
Also i've heard that headphones need to be "speedy" for some type of music (high speed music?) (not sure what it means)

I prefer high speed music, pronounced electric guitar.
Some examples: Falconer - Falconer, Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas, Dragonforce, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity.

Does sextett good for this kind of music?

Fostex and Denon drivers are made by the same company,so similar v-shape sound. Onkyo,I have not heard so I cannot say.

The sextetts sound great with music from any era. Theyre also incredibly fast headphones.

Here are a few melodeath songs I like,and the sextetts are killer for this type of music. IMO the guitar thru sextetts are the best you can find for under $1000.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back