Headphones purchased!! Now, it's onward to DAC and amps- Recommendations and suggestions appreciated
Jan 2, 2017 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

skhan007

1000+ Head-Fier
After listening to a good selection of head phones at a couple of different visits to shops/ hi-fi store, I'm the proud owner of some Sennheiser HD800's. I've read tons of comments on these cans and can't add anything, but will confirm I'm hearing details in music I know very well, that I didn't really notice that much previously. They are glorious to these ears!
gs1000.gif

I heard these phones a few times through several different DAC's and the standout for me was the Chord Mojo. I really liked it and will be considering getting one. Here's my question- As a musician with a home studio/recording set up, I've been using an Apogee Duet for years to record with microphones, guitars, drums, etc. The Apogee Duet is also known for being a really good DAC, but I've never used it for that. So, I decided to disconnect it from my desktop Mac and hook it up to my Macbook Pro and listen to some lossless files, 320kbps files, and Spotify tunes. I'd say it sounded REALLY good with the Senn HD800's. I mean, wow.   
atsmile.gif

There's no way for me to A/B unless I brought my laptop and Apogee Duet to the hi-fi store (which is entirely possible), but was curious about this, as the Apogee Duet is recording studio equipment and "technically" not for hi-fi, but who's to say there is a differentiation? If you were me, would you consider a Mojo or any other DAC for that matter, if the Apogee Duet sounded great to your ears? FWIW, my Apogee Duet is the original firewire version and not the Duet 2 version out now. 

I was posting in the Chord Mojo thread and talking about how much I liked the Mojo through the MicroZotl2 and Schiit Lyr2 tube amps. Somebody asked me why I needed a tube amp in the first place, since the Mojo has no trouble driving cans up to 800 Ohms. That was a damn good question and I had no answer! I just thought that in the hi-fi world, you're "supposed " to have an amp. Maybe I don't? As a musician with a ton of tube amps for guitars and shoeboxes full of tubes from the 50's and 60's, it was just my natural line of thinking to want a tube amp for my home headphone hi-fi set up. But maybe it's not necessary? What do you guys think?  
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back