Headphones for use on laptop
Aug 6, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #16 of 41
Essence STX will easily drive your HD650s, and there are no external dacs under $500 that measure as well as it. Maybe you should replace your laptop with a real pc?

Your only other good option is a used emu 0404 and it may not have enough juice to take the 650's to a listenable level.

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:
I've been doing some research and I think it may be more beneficial just to get a DAC/amp combo.

Would it be really necessary to get an external sound card on top of that

A DAC/Amp combo IS an external soundcard.  -_-

You might look into the uDAC2.  As long as the power output from the former uDAC was increased a little, it should power the 595/600/650s, and match the STX.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #25 of 41
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier

IC opamps are one of the best innovations to hit electronics. Audiophools ignore the engineers and use discrete opamps that measure horribly (discrete is for high power circuits that need more heat dissipation...).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with opamps, but there is something wrong with people that say they all sound differently.

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #26 of 41

IC opamps are one of the best innovations to hit electronics. Audiophools ignore the engineers and use discrete opamps that measure horribly [..]

there is something wrong with people that say they all sound differently.

I fully agree w/ the first part when active amplification is needed(driving headphones for instance)...but your second sentence shows that you should try stuff before talking
newbie_master.gif

Anyway, the troll feeding has come to an end for me...keep calling everything bs and placebo if it entertains you. While you'll be doing that, I'll be too busy enjoying my awesome sounding placebo set up 
markdavis.gif

Surely majkel should be in a mental institution: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/audio-gd-discrete-op-amps-reviewed-OPA-earth-OPA-moon-OPA-sun-v-2-a-397691/

Your holy STX runs 2114 and 4562, get some free samples...roll them, instead of talking of what you haven't heard, duh. But unlike most ppl here, you're not here to learn.

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #28 of 41
I don't think an Essence STX will yield the same results from rolling as a Spitfire.

I hate LME49720/49710's plasticky sonic color.

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #29 of 41
Hi ImAllOriginal.
Just a little bit of advice I would use an external DAC or soundcard with your laptop.
I have always found using the headphone out on a laptop give horrid interference and you can hear a whine as the hard drive is working away.
Most of the laptops I have used is that the headphone out is always near the location of the hard drive.
This problem is not always the case but I thought I should let you know before you return your soundcard and buy your headphones.
Good luck with what you choose.

Bazzman.

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #30 of 41
Dalamar is not the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back