Headphones for TV/Movie/Gaming Use in Bed
Sep 20, 2010 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tarheel4985

New Head-Fier
I'm shopping for a decent set of headphones to use in bed, mainly for watching TV and movies while my wife sleeps (and occasional gaming).  I originally wanted to get a set of wireless headphones, but after reading more about it I doubt I'll be satisfied with the sound of any of the wireless offerings, especially since we have a plasma, which eliminates IR headphones.  So my plan is to run a headphone extension around the outside of the room, tucked between the baseboard and the carpet, right to my bedside table where I can plug in a set of headphones.  I'll preface the recommendations with the fact that I am much more of a videophile than an audiophile, so sound quality is important but budget is more important.  Before changing my mind about the wireless, I had settled on the RS120's, which are around $60 right now, so that is what I'm trying to budget for.  I assumed that IEM's would be the best for comfort in case I fell asleep with them in.  I had a set of Shure E4C for a while that I enjoyed for iPod use, but other than that I haven't ever really invested in decent headphones because most of my listening is done with our home theater systems.

I'm open to any suggestions in the $60-$100 range, $100 being the very max.  Thanks in advance for your help. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 3
As far as IEM's go there's Sleek Audio's system; they advertise lossless quality but I'm pretty sure that's way out of your price range.

I've been very happy with my MDR-V6s.  I use them as a multi-purpose headphone(gaming and movies) and they're pretty cheap(I think I paid about $60 for mine).

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
As far as IEM's go there's Sleek Audio's system; they advertise lossless quality but I'm pretty sure that's way out of your price range.

I've been very happy with my MDR-V6s.  I use them as a multi-purpose headphone(gaming and movies) and they're pretty cheap(I think I paid about $60 for mine).

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've done some more reading on the forum (which I should have done first, I do apologize), and it seems like my best bet for sound quality will be cans.  I guess my concern is I would need to find a pair that would be comfortable to lie in bed with and possibly fall asleep with.  I had looked at a few of the cheaper cans, like the HARX700, SE-M390 or PortaPro.  I just don't know how they would work for lying in bed.  I'll check out the MDR-V6's as well.

Any other thoughts?  Maybe I should have posted this in the other forum if IEM's are not suitable for this use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back