Headphones for movies & music
Jul 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

100kV

New Head-Fier
Hi. While I don't post, I've been lurking here for a long time now. I'm looking for good quality headphones for watching movies and listening to music.

I have a Sennheiser HD202, and I don't like it that much. The ear cover is now worn out, and it feels really uncomfortable. It doesn't sound that exceptional to me either. So now I'm looking to replace it with something better. 

I watch a lot of movies, so a comfortable and snug fit is preferred. I'm not really good with the technicalities, but I'm hoping for one that produces clear vocals.

As for music, I have quite a collection of FLAC soundtracks. Most of them are OSTs or background music from movies. I listen to a wide variety of genre (mainly Pop, Rock, Techno, Trance), except Hip-hop and Rap.

My budget is less than $200.

I found nice reviews for Ultrasone 580 and Sennheiser HD439, but I'm not really sure if they are fit for my needs. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 11
Audio Technica AD700. Great for movies, games and music. Around 100 bucks. Have great soundstage, especially for the money.

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 11
I second the Audio Technica. I have the Ath AD700 version which is an open version with great detail and soundstage. If your looking for something that blocks outside noise and keeps the sound from headphones in the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro are great for isolation with a detailed warm sound. I just picked up some today at Best Buy for 99.00 and i was surprised how great they sound from the get go without any burn in. Isolation is the best i've seen yet like wearing ear plugs. Will be interesting to see how they sound as they open up more through use.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure about the ATH AD700, since I prefer closed. It might annoy my roommates late at night. I never owned an open headphones before, how loud does it get on the outside?

The Sennheiser HD280 has the same ear covers as my Sennheiser HD202, and I'm afraid it might peel off just as quickly.

I just realized that my head is quite small, so I think a tight grip would fit nicely for me. My Sennheiser HD202 has quite a loose grip on me. Sometimes I wonder if one side is sound lower in volume than in the other, but I think it's the loose grip causing that.

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 11
Consider:

Fischer Audio - FA 003 / Brainwavz HM5 -  good all rounders

Ultrasones - Good...and bassy...surround sound technology..awesome :)

Phillips Uptown ? - good reviews

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure about the ATH AD700, since I prefer closed. It might annoy my roommates late at night. I never owned an open headphones before, how loud does it get on the outside?

The Sennheiser HD280 has the same ear covers as my Sennheiser HD202, and I'm afraid it might peel off just as quickly.

I just realized that my head is quite small, so I think a tight grip would fit nicely for me. My Sennheiser HD202 has quite a loose grip on me. Sometimes I wonder if one side is sound lower in volume than in the other, but I think it's the loose grip causing that.

Yes the ATH AD700 bleed sound like a waterfall in the tropics. A few months ago i was recording some street noise by the window for fun and when i listened to the recording afterwards i was shocked how clearly the music from the ATH AD700 sounded in the recordings background on my Sansa Fuze. After that i started looking for some closed headphones for those..private moments.

When i first got the HD202 it had a pretty tight fit. I tried them on last week and i was quite surprised how loose the grip had gotten eventhough i hardly use them anymore.The ear padding is still holding up great eventhough i've had some sweaty SUPREME COMMANDER 2 gaming sessions with them. The Sennheiser HD280 have great grip which is quite comfortable for me but then again i find the tank like two pound Koss Pro 4AA comfortable to my orcish head.

The HD280 i picked up yesterday have some epic isolation. Using them all day today i noticed its even better then earplugs blocking out environmental sounds that have always gotten in before. The sound is very warm yet richly detailed with a wide frequency range bigger then one of my favorites the Koss Pro 4AAT. It really seems to catch the absolute start and microscopic fading end of a song. It also makes scratchy songs more scratchy sounding so thats something to watch out for.

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 11
Brainwavz HM5
Audio Technica ATH-A900

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Yes the ATH AD700 bleed sound like a waterfall in the tropics. A few months ago i was recording some street noise by the window for fun and when i listened to the recording afterwards i was shocked how clearly the music from the ATH AD700 sounded in the recordings background on my Sansa Fuze. After that i started looking for some closed headphones for those..private moments.

When i first got the HD202 it had a pretty tight fit. I tried them on last week and i was quite surprised how loose the grip had gotten eventhough i hardly use them anymore.The ear padding is still holding up great eventhough i've had some sweaty SUPREME COMMANDER 2 gaming sessions with them. The Sennheiser HD280 have great grip which is quite comfortable for me but then again i find the tank like two pound Koss Pro 4AA comfortable to my orcish head.

The HD280 i picked up yesterday have some epic isolation. Using them all day today i noticed its even better then earplugs blocking out environmental sounds that have always gotten in before. The sound is very warm yet richly detailed with a wide frequency range bigger then one of my favorites the Koss Pro 4AAT. It really seems to catch the absolute start and microscopic fading end of a song. It also makes scratchy songs more scratchy sounding so thats something to watch out for.

Thanks for the testimony! Luckily, our local Fry's has the Sennheiser HD280. I'll check it out :wink:

btw What do you mean by scratchy songs being more scratchy sounding?

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Thanks for the testimony! Luckily, our local Fry's has the Sennheiser HD280. I'll check it out :wink:

btw What do you mean by scratchy songs being more scratchy sounding?

Your welcome. Glad to hear Fry's has em available to demo. About the scratchy i mean if its a bad recording like say a YouTube recording uploaded from an old vinyle album the scratchy sound is gonna be more pronounced due to the Sennheiser HD280's level of detail.

Here is an example of just what am talking about. One of my favorite songs but with all that background noise its best kept for my ears only :D
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDQpAsaMQ7g

Cheers! :D

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 11
The V-MOda M80, Denon D2000 are great sounding headphones with good punchy bass and overall very detailed(recommended for movies and music).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back