Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 11, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #11,446 of 12,322
I'm curious how the Susvara Sound with metal. I'm owning a Abyss 1266 Phi Tc with a stack ifi pro idsd signature + ifi pro ican signature.

Do you think the Susvara will perform better as the Abyss?
For purely metal listening, no. The Susvara is much more laid-back, less intense, and much less impactful in the bass.

If you only listen to metal, the Abyss is the best I've heard and you are wasting your money having the Susvara as well. But if you listen to other acoustic genres as well (singer-songwriter, Jazz, classical etc. Then the Susvara is a good complimentary headphone.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #11,447 of 12,322
For purely metal listening, no. The Susvara is much more laid-back, less intense, and much less impactful in the bass.

If you only listen to metal, the Abyss is the best I've heard and you are wasting your money having the Susvara as well. But if you listen to other acoustic genres as well (singer-songwriter, Jazz, classical etc. Then the Susvara is a good complimentary headphone.
Thanks for your comment. I hope I find someone in Austria or Germany to lend me the Susvara.

Thanks again and best regards,
Thomas

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #11,448 of 12,322
Thanks for your comment. I hope I find someone in Austria or Germany to lend me the Susvara.

Thanks again and best regards,
Thomas
Are the Abbys 1266 Phi TC the best for metal? I really like Zach with the zmf headphones. I have the Atticus from him and really like them. Another question. What's the best zmf headphone for metal? 😁

Thanks for your time,
Thomas

Jul 11, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #11,449 of 12,322
Are the Abbys 1266 Phi TC the best for metal? I really like Zach with the zmf headphones. I have the Atticus from him and really like them. Another question. What's the best zmf headphone for metal? 😁

Thanks for your time,
Thomas
That's a good question, I used to own the Atticus as well. From what I can tell, the best ZMF for metal is probably the Verite Closed or maybe the new Atrium, but I have yet to try them.

Jul 12, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #11,450 of 12,322

Thanks for your time,
Thomas
No, 1266 are the best for metal, end of story.

Jul 12, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #11,451 of 12,322
Thank you for your thoughts! Haha I was aiming for the abyss+Formula S stack too but I keep on reading good things about the wavelight + volot.
I'll stay away from the tt2!
I'll look into your recommended cans!
I mostly listen to alternative, progressive and symphonic.
I'll checkout the liric!
Really appreciate it! :)
I have recently had chance to have a good long weekend listening session to the Abyss + Formula S stack and I was very nicely surprised by just how good it sounds. Yes there was a difference between my usual rig however for the money there is no beating the Formula S Stack, it will easily drive both the latest Abyss 1266 Phi TC and the Susvara with no clipping detected at the highest volumes.

P.S. - I have for sale an as new pair of barely used - (less than 40 hours) Abyss Phi TC for a very good price.

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #11,452 of 12,322
Hey folks I have a Sundara with a Meridian Explorer Dac-amp and I really like the combo, but I am looking to upgrade. I am listeming to doom/black/heavy metal mostly. Can you recommend an upgrade in the 600 USD range?

Furthermore, I was thinking of changing my DAC amp to a fosi audio q4 but I am not sure if that's the best idea?

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #11,453 of 12,322

Thanks for your time,
Thomas
ZMF are wonderful headphones but not for metal. The VC just about makes it with classic metal but the Atrium - in my experience - are completely ill suited to any kind of metal.

Jul 13, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #11,454 of 12,322
Jul 13, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #11,455 of 12,322
ZMF are wonderful headphones but not for metal. The VC just about makes it with classic metal but the Atrium - in my experience - are completely ill suited to any kind of metal.
Is it because of the speed? The tuning doesn't seem like that bad. Or the general relaxed signature?

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #11,456 of 12,322
Is it because of the speed? The tuning doesn't seem like that bad. Or the general relaxed signature?
All of those things. In my experience, they never felt fast enough to deal with anything beyond, say, Van Halen, Maiden, AC/DC, etc. Throw Megadeth at them or even something like Nile, they fall apart. For me, all the ZMF headphones are too mid-centric for metal. Guitars in isolation sound good, but there's little sense of air and little sense of slam/punch in the low end. Relaxed, yes. When I had my VC, I used them for jazz and fusion, and they excel on that front. Zach is a super talented guy, but let's face it, he's a folk-orientated guy who tunes headphones around acoustic music. Metal is not his bag. No bad thing.

I had read that the Atrium were better for metal, but for me they're much much worse than the VC. I gave them music that generally sounds decent on any headphones - Van Halen I and II, early Priest - all sounded super off, sadly.

I think if you're into stuff like sludge metal, drone metal, then they could work well. But for anything else, I doubt it.

Jul 13, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #11,457 of 12,322
All of those things. In my experience, they never felt fast enough to deal with anything beyond, say, Van Halen, Maiden, AC/DC, etc. Throw Megadeth at them or even something like Nile, they fall apart. For me, all the ZMF headphones are too mid-centric for metal. Guitars in isolation sound good, but there's little sense of air and little sense of slam/punch in the low end. Relaxed, yes. When I had my VC, I used them for jazz and fusion, and they excel on that front. Zach is a super talented guy, but let's face it, he's a folk-orientated guy who tunes headphones around acoustic music. Metal is not his bag. No bad thing.

I had read that the Atrium were better for metal, but for me they're much much worse than the VC. I gave them music that generally sounds decent on any headphones - Van Halen I and II, early Priest - all sounded super off, sadly.

I think if you're into stuff like sludge metal, drone metal, then they could work well. But for anything else, I doubt it.
I've never auditioned ZMF but by the sounds of the lush mids, would be good for classics like cheap trick, budgie, yardbird eg

Jul 13, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #11,458 of 12,322
I've never auditioned ZMF but by the sounds of the lush mids, would be good for classics like cheap trick, budgie, yardbird eg
Yup, nailed it - classic rock, prog rock, rock/fusion - all great. Boston, Journey, early Genesis, Camel, etc - ZMF does really well with this material. I'd say roughly most rock/metal after 1984, when production gets digital, then ZMF fall short.

Jul 13, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #11,459 of 12,322
Looks like the second pair of complimentary headphones are on the radar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back