Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 31, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #2,731 of 12,317
Check out Beyond the Sixth Seal's new album.

They are classified as Death and Roll. I usually use their newest album as a warmth test for headphones. If it sounds too muddy the. The headphones are too warm for my tastes.

Their guitar is absolutely incredible. It's actually just a normal over driven tube amp with no crazy scooped mids. Very warm and mid rangy that you don't hear very often. Plus the cymbals are very airy and great for testing soundstage and depth.

They use some cool microphone techniques to give their sound a nice spacious sound. After a few songs they have a some cool stuff like a guy playing a guitar behind a door slowly strumming and someone opening it as they approach.

Sounds cheesy but its actually cool.

First two songs are definitely worth your time:

https://youtu.be/Z6Zz9j3NHx8

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #2,732 of 12,317
At times 1990s Black Metal seems to work, for whatever reason? Maybe the thin production?

Yeah , many early/mid 1990's black metal productions are on the thin side ... weak on the bass depatement for a colder/dryer and airier sound that hurt like a cold blizzard . 

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #2,733 of 12,317
Yeah , many early/mid 1990's black metal productions are on the thin side ... weak on the bass depatement for a colder/dryer and airier sound that hurt like a cold blizzard . 

I kinda think this is the greatest album now for the k701s. It gets the orchestral and chorus parts as well as the drums and technical death parts all. Just such an experience and an event?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8aXY0Xvv8

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #2,734 of 12,317
Has anyone had any experience listening to sub-genres like Funeral & Drone Doom on AKG K612?

While not really doom, the new Draconian is showing a surprise affinity with the AKG k701s, so much so they are the perfect headphones almost. Missing some low end, still enjoyable, maybe it's the vocals?

Next I guess I'm inspired to pull out an old St. Vitus CD.

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #2,735 of 12,317
I kinda think this is the greatest album now for the k701s. It gets the orchestral and chorus parts as well as the drums and technical death parts all. Just such an experience and an event?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8aXY0Xvv8

Hum , i don't like to say that a particular album is the best for an headphone , depending on my mood i can enjoy an album on my DT 880  , the next day i will have equally great time on this album with the HD600 or K702
tongue_smile.gif
(but i have to say that most of the time the naturalness of  HD600 give it a little edge for me) .

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #2,736 of 12,317
Hum , i don't like to say that a particular album is the best for an headphone , depending on my mood i can enjoy an album on my DT 880  , the next day i will have equally great time on this album with the HD600 or K702 :tongue_smile: (but i have to say that most of the time the naturalness of  HD600 give it a little edge for me) .

I bet it is good for the HD 600s, I should have listed it as good with my limited collection.:weary:

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #2,737 of 12,317
That is a good question. As I'm only famiiar with the k701s and the k612s are said to have more bass.

The other issue is the amp used with the AKG k series, as too weak of an amp and the headphones go even farther to treble. Because Funeral Doom/Drone depend on certain exact bass frequencies to move them along stylistically and psychologically, most of the time the AKGs just don't cut it.

Thanks Redcarmoose for your useful reply!

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #2,742 of 12,317
Lawton pads.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #2,743 of 12,317
Looks like a real nice thread to hang around.
I should be getting my T1mk2 tomorrow. I hope they pair well with my choice of music, atleast in the metal genre. I'm a big BIG fan of folk (esp. celtic) metal and the three bands In Flames, At the Gates and Dark Tranquillity <Clicked I know>. I also like Fragments of unbecoming and across five aprils.
Have a tf10 for travel and have ordered the T1v2 for all genres. Also have a modded T50rp.

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,744 of 12,317

I also like the sound of the focus pads, but being spoiled by the dt880 pads. I just cannot wear them.
What is your recommendation for Hifiman headphones?

Audeze Vegan pads, sound great and can wear for hours.

+1 on the Audeze Vegan Pads. Best comfort and best sound. They are a touch more expensive, but it is well worth it, IMO. Best price I've found is through B&H Photo, at $62 USD.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1116989-REG/audeze_1002097_lcd_ep_lf_bl_black_leather_free_earpad.html

Nov 4, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #2,745 of 12,317
  Looks like a real nice thread to hang around.
I should be getting my T1mk2 tomorrow. I hope they pair well with my choice of music, atleast in the metal genre. I'm a big BIG fan of folk (esp. celtic) metal and the three bands In Flames, At the Gates and Dark Tranquillity <Clicked I know>. I also like Fragments of unbecoming and across five aprils.
Have a tf10 for travel and have ordered the T1v2 for all genres. Also have a modded T50rp.

Congrats and welcome! I really like the improvements they've made with the Mk2. If you ever get a chance to hear that T1.2 with any of the Cavalli Audio amps, they really make those babies sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back