Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 16, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #976 of 12,299
You lost me on "damping factor shouldn't be an issue with a planar".

Planars don't care about the output impedance of what they're connected to (except where it might impact current, but there is no frequency response ramifications of the kind you suggested and that you do see in dynamic headphones).

Did some reading on it after your post the other day. Very interesting. Never knew this.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #977 of 12,299
Did some reading on it after your post the other day. Very interesting. Never knew this.

I believe it's because the impedance of planar magnetic headphones is purely resistive or something like that.

Wonder if I should sell my HE-400i to help fund the HE1000. I have about $300 to invest in paid advertising campaigns, so I should be able to work my way up to thousands from that, but in case I need more initial funds to work with...

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #978 of 12,299
Ok, it's look like Cambridge Audio support does not like when someone "reopen" a ticket...

I asked to double check the response and added the stats from my schiit and the mention from wikipedia saying most of the current amp has 0.5 - 50 Ohms.

He kind of said the response he gave me was correct and that I should find a dealer to test my headphone. Then close the ticket.

What's funny is he also said this :
The Minx Xi's headphone amplifier is derived from the main section, hence the higher impedance.

The spec from the minx xi manual says for the speaker output (which I presume is the main section):
40 watts RMS per channel (into 8 Ohms)

47 watts RMS per channel (into 6 Ohms)

55 watts RMS per channel (into 4 Ohms)

I'm not sure what to think... I wrote an email to the dealer where I bought it asking the specifications of the headphone jack. I hope he will be able to give me more informations. But in the mean time, I'm in the dark...

OK, back to the headphone! :)

@Hansotek

Great suggestions! A bit over what I can pay unfortunately.

@money4me247

Thank you for the kind offer!

I currently own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x.
If I would have to select only a couple of song to compare, I would say these one :

- Blind Guardian - Nightfall (from Nightfall in Middle-Earth)
- Bolt Thrower - The Killchain (from Those Once Loyal)
- Be'lakor - Venator (from Stone's Reach)
- Steamboy Original Soundtrack - The Chase (not metal but great OST!)

I absolutely need a closed / circumaural headphone since I will use them around other people. I can probably strech my budget to 350$ US (420$ CAN). Not higher...

Thanks!

Sorry, not clear here... were you looking for impressions on the NAD Viso HP-50 (the $299 US headphone Money & I suggested)?

I brought that one with me tonight, so I can do that if you want. I don't have the M50X, but might be able to borrow one from a co-worker tomorrow.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #979 of 12,299

It's part of the reason planars are used so much with speaker amps. I'm always surprised that this isn't more well known here on Head-Fi.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #980 of 12,299

I believe it's because the impedance of planar magnetic headphones is purely resistive or something like that.

Wonder if I should sell my HE-400i to help fund the HE1000. I have about $300 to invest in paid advertising campaigns, so I should be able to work my way up to thousands from that, but in case I need more initial funds to work with...

Are you getting $100 credits from Google to run AdWords campaigns? I've had to do a bunch of these this week.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #981 of 12,299
@Hansotek

Sorry, I did not respond immediately because I was searching reviews and info about it.
But yes, I would really like to get your impressions.
Also, are they confortable ? The only image I saw is showing a rectangular form factor instead of a more traditionnal circle.

Thank you very much.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #982 of 12,299
Are you getting $100 credits from Google to run AdWords campaigns? I've had to do a bunch of these this week.

I don't do pay per click advertising. There are far more profitable and effective methods. PPC is more for when you have a large budget to work with and are willing to lose a lot of money at first.

So you're a marketer too, eh?
cool.gif

Edit: Checked your profile. So you work at an ad agency. I fly solo. Do everything myself.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #983 of 12,299

I don't do pay per click advertising. There are far more profitable and effective methods. PPC is more for when you have a large budget to work with and are willing to lose a lot of money at first.

So you're a marketer too, eh? :cool:

Yeah, I'm a Creative Director / Writer at an ad agency. I don't usually do a lot of PPC campaigns, but apparently it's coupon week at the Google.

What do you do? Cheers for marketing! :beerchug:

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #986 of 12,299
Yeah, I'm a Creative Director / Writer at an ad agency. I don't usually do a lot of PPC campaigns, but apparently it's coupon week at the Google.

What do you do? Cheers for marketing!
beerchug.gif

Saw that on your profile and made an edit in the previous post about it.

I do (or rather, did) a little bit of everything. My own products and services, affiliate marketing, etc. My current plan is to use various paid advertising methods to direct traffic to instant PayPal affiliate commission offers, as well as squeeze pages to build opt-in email lists for longer-term revenue.

I only have my own money to work with, so I make sure that I have large profit margins -- preferably fast ones that don't require waiting weeks or months to get paid.

But enough of all that. Don't wanna turn this into the "learn how to make money to buy headphones for metal" thread!
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #987 of 12,299
Apr 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #988 of 12,299
So you are our modern day Donald Draper??

Hahaha! I guess. Probably a little Don and a little Peggy... packaged into something that looks more like the lovechild of Don and Stan, lol!

Okay, okay. Back to headphones.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #989 of 12,299
  Just found a deal for the AKG at 199$ CAN which is 165$ US.
Also, free shipping.

Without discarding the NAD, I'm tempted to click on the Add to Cart button...

I'm all set up in the basement and ready to begin the NAD demo... Are you still in the market for headphones, or did you pull the trigger on the other ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back