Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 20, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #7,156 of 12,299

I would go with 99C against the other options. Makes a good pair with X5-3!

Under 500$ ?

Closed back, the 99C EQ'ed are probably the best bet. 

Open back - maybe HD600 from senn. 

I found which headphone is the best for metal 
biggrin.gif

Sennheiser HE-1 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Had the chance to hear HE-1 today. Really really good with metal. Can do Dance Gavin Dance and Obscurcis Romancia really good. 

I would only say this: I entered the store wearing 99C + FiiO X5-2, heard a ton of headphones and HE-1, then walked out wearing 99C + X5-2. I was able to enjoy music really good on X5-2 + 99C even after hearing all those expensive headphones 
eek.gif

My 99C is EQ'ed and will sound similar to ie800 actually so there's this detail, but still. It is this good. 

How is the impact?, he-1 is electroestatic, i think the electroestatic iems are the next way.. or not? haha

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #7,157 of 12,299
  How is the impact?, he-1 is electroestatic, i think the electroestatic iems are the next way.. or not? haha

Literally everything about the HE-1 is perfect... except the $55,000 price tag. But yeah, this bass is stupid good just like everything else.

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #7,158 of 12,299
Yes - you can't fault them.

The price tag alone isn't sane in any way, but the sound quality is literally as good as if music was played in the same room as you. Literally. Every single detail, every spatial cue, everything is simply live.

If we are to be honest, they are heavy and he1 is not really suited for real world usage yet. It is more like a statement / prototype than a user end product - literally hoping senn makes something in the under 3000$ price range that will be a end user product with the same sound.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #7,159 of 12,299
I think I may pull the trigger on mezze 99 today. I have asked a lot of different sources and they seem universally loved. Thanks for all your great advice.

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #7,160 of 12,299
If we are to be honest, they are heavy and he1 is not really suited for real world usage yet. It is more like a statement / prototype than a user end product - literally hoping senn makes something in the under 3000$ price range that will be a end user product with the same sound.

You would think that. But they never did come up with a more affordable electrostatic in the past 26 years since the original Orpheus. Too bad, they really could use something new and exciting in their line that competes with Stax and HiFiman. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #7,161 of 12,299

You would think that. But they never did come up with a more affordable electrostatic in the past 26 years since the original Orpheus. Too bad, they really could use something new and exciting in their line that competes with Stax and HiFiman. 

They don't really sell those either. IT's more like an engineering statement than an end product. It is nice to see it exist, but let's be real when we ask ourselves who actually has the money and actually would buy them. The point with Orpheus was to create something extraordinary, not necessarily sell it. 

What I would like to see is an under 3000$ option that is an end product, that we can actually consider buying. 

I think I may pull the trigger on mezze 99 today. I have asked a lot of different sources and they seem universally loved. Thanks for all your great advice.

Very good choice! Truly some of the best headphones of the moment! 

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #7,166 of 12,299
Ordered my mezze 99! Can't wait for them to arrive

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #7,170 of 12,299

What I would like to see is an under 3000$ option that is an end product, that we can actually consider buying. 

Indeed, that should be the MrSpeakers Ether E, I can't wait for it to be available!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back