Headphones for heavy metal-rock music?!
Mar 7, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #16 of 43
DoomForce:

Quote:

Oh, and as for the CD3000 vs HD600 for rock...
I feel it's up to personal opinion but the HD600 wins out because it has punchier bass, guitars sound more natural, bassline is more accurate, and the high end isn't hyped so much. My friend agrees. He's a non audiophile but he's very experienced with rock: "I liked these black ones because I can pick the bassline out and the guitar sounds real." The CD3000s really need a $1000+ setup to shine and it's very dependent on your personal tastes. I'd look elsewhere than CD3ks or HD600s for pure rock.
HD600s are boring compared to grados or some of the beyers for rock music

IMO I had the HD600 with a very good setup, and I do not consider it well suited for rock at all, OTOH I do the CD3000, and strongly reco it, I only use them for that purpose.
About the comparison, after listening the CD3000 and comparing both, IMO the CD3000 obviously smoked it, in the bass extension, low end and punch, and has more forward and better presentation of the overall rock and heavy metal sound, even in a non $500 setup, in a better setup maybe the difference will be bigger.
I consider the CD3000, perfectly suited for rock (right now I'm listening the Alice in Chains unplugged, and it sounds fabulous man) even better than some of the Beyers, and other Sonys I've had tried....but this is just my opinion, and as the preference is a matter of personal taste, take this as a grain of salt, and DoomForce you are the only one, that at the end, can say if it is or not suited for you, when you hear them both...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 1:44 PM Post #17 of 43
The CD3000s have such an overpronounced top end that recordings with even a bit of noise are eaten alive. They take $1,000+ to shine.

CD3000s are ridiculously overpriced for a dude that just wants to rock out with a modest budget. $350 for the cans, optimistically. $500+ for a decent tubed amp. And then the source...

I'd HIGHLY recommend trying SR-225s or SR-325s. SR225s are considered by many to be the "world's best rock and roll headphones." The SR-325 is basically a 225 with aluminum earpieces and has the pronounced impact peak the 225s do but it does it a bit too much. Some would say the 325 is the world's most "grating" headphone. I don't know what you're exactly looking for in rock though.

95% of the live rock I've experienced sounds totally different than the sound of rock on any headphone I've heard. Mostly because live rock usually sounds horrible. :]

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 7, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #18 of 43
I agree with KR...'s comment of metal for metal. My vote goes to the AT A1000. Even out of most component headphone jacks they sound good. Out of a dedicated headphone amp they sound ever so much better. They are lively, responsive, dynamic, and have driving, impactful bass coupled with clear, fulll highs, along with everything else in between. They are a little more spendy, but well worth it. And they'll convey other types of music quite well too.

Mar 7, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

About the comparison, after listening the CD3000 and comparing both, IMO the CD3000 obviously smoked it, in the bass extension, low end and punch, and has more forward and better presentation of the overall rock and heavy metal sound, even in a non $500 setup, in a better setup maybe the difference will be bigger.

As far as bass extension and low end, if we are talking unamped, then this is probably true, as I've never heard the 600's unamped. But with an amp, I disagree. to me the low end and bass response of the 600's is better than the 3000's. But eveything else as far as the 3000's being more upfront I do agree with.

For rocking out I totally agree with the recommendations for the 225's, 325's, and the A1000's. As of now I haven't heard anything better for that "Rock" sound.

Mar 7, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #20 of 43
The CD3000 amped (or IMO even unampped), according to what hirsch told me once some time ago, when I was trying to get some opinions on it, (and as I experienced later), is one of the headphones that can go "extremelly" low, and in my personnal experience far better than the HD600, even amped (with the MGHead) of course the CD3000 is more expensive than some of these Gradoes, but he didin't mention any price range.
I personally considered the HD600 rolled off on the low end far enough of the point that the CD3000 can easily reach, and for my personnal taste, far enough of the propper point. I consider the CD3000 even better than the DT770 in that dept, I'd tried both.
Hirsch, markl, servinginecuador etc....had owned both, and had a lot of experience tweaking and playing around with a lot of amps and headphones, even those, why not asking them, of course this is only IMHO.....

Mar 7, 2003 at 8:01 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

I consider the CD3000 even better than the DT770 in that dept, I'd tried both.

Amped or unamped? If both are unamped I agree (the 770's are 250 ohms). Throw an amp on with the 770's and again I disagree. I find the 770's have a deeper bass. It certainly has a more pronounced bass, that's for sure.

Mar 7, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Amped or unamped? If both are unamped I agree (the 770's are 250 ohms). Throw an amp on with the 770's and again I disagree. I find the 770's have a deeper bass. It certainly has a more pronounced bass, that's for sure.

The same happen to wallijonn when he tried the CD3000 out of a Melos with some kind of tubes in the last minimeet he had, (I do not remember which ones for sure), but I can do a search later, when replacing them with others, the things changed a lot, and it really shine, and the bass was there, maybe this was your case when you heard the CD3000 (as I remember you told me that you had heard them on a Melos) maybe the tubes on that Melos were not the right ones for it, (not good or bad) simply not the right ones, it is a very source dependable, in fact, but anyway IMO in any case, I have tried both for a long time, amped and unamped, and I do not want to argue with you, is just my point of view, but I do considered the bass extension of the CD3000 better, it can go really, really low, amped or unamped, the CD3000 is capable of going lower to m y ears than the HD600, and lower than the DT770, sorry to disagree.

Mar 7, 2003 at 9:42 PM Post #23 of 43
Not a problem. We agree to disagree, (I found the 3000's to be incredibly bright on the Melos).

And I appreciate the manner you used to make your case. IMO you very much stated your case, yet were considerate of the other opinion and left room that others may have different experiences.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #24 of 43
Everybody is entitled to learn, even me!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #25 of 43
Hmm, mabye it was the headroom solid-state sound that caused the CD3000 I heard to have a confused, slightly colored bottom end?

The HD600s are certainly capable of going LOW but require a really really really good amp to go REALLY REALLY low.

Out of all the specs of headphones, the one that I seem to agree best with is the HD600's stated -3dB rolloff on truly neutral equipment at 16hz. On an intense amp like the blockhead the bottom end is extremely extremely deep, tight, and natural.

I haven't tried the blockhead with rock, only well-recorded jazzy and acoustic stuff. Some day...

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 8, 2003 at 11:54 AM Post #26 of 43
Septic Flesh - Sumerian Daemons absolutely rocks. Just got it, heh. For metal I would choose Sennheiser HD-600 above any other non-electrostatic headphone. They just smooth out the harshness in such a lovely way, but still keep all the detail.

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:40 PM Post #27 of 43
HD600 for rock.....humm....IMO this is one of the last headphones I will think when listening to rock, a quick question, how many other do you have tried for that??? According to your profile, any other.....but maybe you are right...who knows....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #28 of 43
I like many of the previously mentioned headphones for rock/metal:

Sennheiser HD600 (well-amped)
Audio-Technica A100Ti (similar to the A1000[?])
Sony CD3000
Sony MDR-V6/7506, too.

But the Beyer DT770 rule supreme -- you can't have rock'n'roll without bass, and the Beyer DT770 are the bass masters. Yes they are too big for portable use, but so are most of the others mentioned in this thread. BUT! They are indestructible. The DT250's are good that way too, but with a slight difference -- they're modular (so when they break, you only need to replace the part that broke).

May 22, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #29 of 43
Okay, the DT 770 goes deep with a ton of base. Everyone comments on that. But since Rock music uses a lot of guitars, what about the treble on this phone? How good is it? I have the SR 225. As much as I love them, they do seem a little to harsh at times. Thanks

May 22, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #30 of 43
The treble on the DT770 is either rolled off, quite good, or even bright, depending upon who you talk to. My listening experience over several months, with different amps and sources, indicated to me that the treble is rolled off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back