Headphones for Electronic Drumming and Running?
Mar 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Melee

Head-Fier
I need a set of headphones to use w/ my electronic drum kit and also for when I workout. I figured some type of canal phones w/ noise isolation would be best for both of these uses? I could be completely wrong, though. All I know is that I'm sick of my Apple Earbuds falling out constantly. =) I don't really have a set budget on these but, honestly, the cheaper the better. I don't want poor quality but they also don't have to be top notch. Would $50-$100 be a reasonable price range for this?

What would you guys recommend? Can I kill two birds w/ one stone and get one pair for both uses or is that going to be impossible? I figured the noise isolation canal phones would drown out both the tapping on my drums and people in the gym so I can only hear the music. I am extremely open to any suggestions, though.

Thanks for your help!

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 16
Those look nice. Do they handle rock/metal type of music well? Nice clarity/detail w/ decent bass? I definitely like them.

Are there any good deals out there for them? I think the cheapest I've seen them is $99.

Is there anything else out there to consider or are the Shures going to dominate everything else in the price range?

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 16
I can't say too much about sound since I haven't had a chance to really demo them but most will say lots of mids and decent to good bass. There is a slight treble rolloff but I can see that being good in loud environments; less fatigue on the ear. Ask the folks in the SE215 thread.

Believe it or not, Amazon has a sale on them right now I think. $85 with the 15% off promotion.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I can't say too much about sound since I haven't had a chance to really demo them but most will say lots of mids and decent to good bass. There is a slight treble rolloff but I can see that being good in loud environments; less fatigue on the ear. Ask the folks in the SE215 thread.

Believe it or not, Amazon has a sale on them right now I think. $85 with the 15% off promotion.

They in my cart.. Now what to do to get the 15% off? Still showing $99. O_O

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 16
Before I scrolled down to the other replies, SE215 was on the tip of my tongue.  This ticks everything on your wish list.  I got mine, along with other IEM's, when Earphone Solutions had their 20% deal.  $85.00 is a screaming deal.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Before I scrolled down to the other replies, SE215 was on the tip of my tongue.  This ticks everything on your wish list.  I got mine, along with other IEM's, when Earphone Solutions had their 20% deal.  $85.00 is a screaming deal.

Is that deal still active? Bout to jump on these.  :xf_eek:

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Is that deal still active? Bout to jump on these.  :xf_eek:

I was referring to the Amazon deal on the SE215's mentioned by another poster.  Earphone Solutions 20% off deal is long gone.  If you can get these for $85 at Amazon it is a terrific deal.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
I was referring to the Amazon deal on the SE215's mentioned by another poster.  Earphone Solutions 20% off deal is long gone.  If you can get these for $85 at Amazon it is a terrific deal.

They in my cart on Amazon. Just not sure how to get the 15% off. Still shows $99. *scratches head*  O_o

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 16
Have to go through the checkout process.

Make sure the seller is Amazon.com 
smily_headphones1.gif

Cripes, just noticed the black one was out of stock. The clear one has...14 left and counting.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 16
What about the Audio Technica CKM99's? I read through the deals thread and see that they're on sale for $99 while usually being $170+.

How would those compare to the Shure's?

Thanks for the help guys. I truly appreciate it.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 16
Apparently, I can get the SE215's for $85 and I have Prime Shipping so free 2-day there, also. The only downside is they only have the Clear now and aren't sure when they will get the black in stock again. :frowning2:

Just waiting to hear your opinions on the Shure's compared to the AT CKM99's before I make the purchase.

Also, are there any cheaper options that will have similar quality? I know I said $100 is fine but if there's a $40-$50 pair that are great in their own rights, I'll definitely give them a look too. :D

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #13 of 16
Generally, vented dynamic driver IEMs have less noise isolation than sealed IEMs of either dynamic or armature drivers. It may sound better, but it'll only cut out about 16dB of noise instead of 25-35dB. And there is a risk of fakes for Audio Technicas nowadays.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Have to go through the checkout process.

Make sure the seller is Amazon.com 
smily_headphones1.gif

Cripes, just noticed the black one was out of stock. The clear one has...14 left and counting.

That's good cause that's the ones I want though it still shows $99 at the ''place order now'' page.. It does say something near the bottom about qualifying offers: Super Saver Discount. Do I have place my order to see the discount? Granted I could always cancel if it doesn't show up. The seller is Amazon. O_o

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 16
I may have to kick my own rear for this one, because I just noticed Amazon kindly decided not to list Shure as one of the brands with 15% off...
Yet for some stupid reason, they placed that ad there. Sneaky.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back