Headphones for digital piano?
Oct 25, 2004 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eastsidemetalhd

100+ Head-Fier
hello everyone,

... my brother is looking to get some headphones for use with his Yamaha digital piano. he tried out my SR80 and PX200 for the fun of it and thought that the Senns sounded/felt ok, except that the cord is a little too short for his purposes.

he doesn't have any real preference as to open or closed cans, but is looking for something lightweight and comfortable enough to wear for 1-2 hours+ at a go.

don't have much experience using cans with musical instruments, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Oct 28, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 9
I use my AKG K240S on my Yamaha S90 Synth. These cans are a bit harder to drive than the regular $20 headphones, so I have to turn the volume up to about 50% max. But otherwise it offers a great laidback sound for mixing and works great for me.

You can get these for under $100 online or from guitar center if you live in the States.

Oct 28, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Did you not like my earlier suggestions, or do you just want a wider range of choices? If you want more choices, give us a budget, tell us what country you're in (optional), and whether you are happy to buy using a credit card over the net.

hell, i'm still kicking around with the idea of getting the Senn 280s for myself
biggrin.gif
however, i don't think my bro is going to be all that willing to drop that kind of cash for a pair of cans.

budget-wise, he's probably looking at US$50-60. ordering over the net is pretty much out since i live in SE Asia; the shipping alone would probably double the cost. guess i'm looking for as many suitable choices as possible for this price range and use, and see what is available in my neck of the woods. will pretty much be buying them blind without specific auditioning, since there is no way we're lugging a piano around to audio stores hahaha.

Oct 28, 2004 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastsidemetalhd
hell, i'm still kicking around with the idea of getting the Senn 280s for myself
biggrin.gif
however, i don't think my bro is going to be all that willing to drop that kind of cash for a pair of cans.

budget-wise, he's probably looking at US$50-60. ordering over the net is pretty much out since i live in SE Asia; the shipping alone would probably double the cost. guess i'm looking for as many suitable choices as possible for this price range and use, and see what is available in my neck of the woods. will pretty much be buying them blind without specific auditioning, since there is no way we're lugging a piano around to audio stores hahaha.

audiocubes.com is in Japan, shipping should be cheap. For yourself consider the A500s from that site, they're way better than the 280s and only a little more expensive, but the A500 aren't portable. I can't offer any advice at that price point, sorry, except that you might be able to get used 280s for near that.

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 9
I think you'll find that any thing that works well for music will also work for a digital piano (after all, they make music...). So you can try headphones using music as your source - maybe a recorded piano piece - and get good idea how they will sound from his piano.

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 9
thanks for the suggestions guys. my bro just got his paycheck, so we're hitting the shops this weekend to see if he can find something he likes. he seems to like the Senn sound, so will probably check them out, and see if the ATH dealer we saw the last time is still open for business hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back