Headphones for Classical (while wearing glasses)
Nov 28, 2010 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tim_j_thomas

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I currently own a few headphones, but primarily use HD-580 at home and RS-2 at work.  However, I've recently been wearing glasses while reading and on the computer at work which constitutes the majority of my "listening time."  The problem is that with the glasses, I find the RS2s very uncomfortable.  So, I'm looking to make a change.

I primarily listen to classical (80%) with blues, blues/rock, and classical rock mixed in (Gov't Mule, SRV, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.).

Any recommendations for good headphones that are comfortable with glasses? 

Thanks in advance.

-Tim

P.S. If interested I'm willing to trade my RS2s for something that will fit my needs.

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 19
Hi Tim!

I find HD650 and T1 pretty comfy with glasses. They both can be angeled to put most of the pressure behind the ears. Both are great sounding cans for both classical and rock. 650 (as you probaly know) is the warmer, fuller bass one - the T1 is crisper and has exeptional soundstaging. I usually listen to classical with the T1 - but it depends on the recording. And then - a recording can sound great on both - but in different ways.

If you need low imp phones, the Beyer T5p is the low imp version of the T1 - I believe they're pretty similar on the outside, but don't trust me on that. 

But with on-ears and in ears you totally eliminate the problem. What about getting the on ear Grado pads for your RS2s? And I read that there are some exceptionally good in-ears around. 

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 19
The T1 and T5P sound almost the same but the T5P will have a slightly smaller soundstage. Otherwise they sound nearly the same. I find the T5P to be awesome, but a bit costly. I would personally go for the T50P as it's smaller and will be great for those genre's. I have heard the T50P first hand and it's a bargain at it's price. Just a great rock headphone.

The HD650 will have about, IMO, 90% of the same sound signature of the HD580, but tweeked. It will have a smoother top end with more midrange emphasis as well as bass emphasis. Otherwise they sound nearly the same, just a different flavor of sound. I do not find them a upgrade if you already have the excellent HD580.

If you have a amp you could also go with the K601 which is really good for classical and rock. Plus it has a bit more detail and much more soundstage than what the HD580 can offer. It will however has a lighter bass response (impact), but IMO the bass is of better quality.

Quote:
Hi Tim!

I find HD650 and T1 pretty comfy with glasses. They both can be angeled to put most of the pressure behind the ears. Both are great sounding cans for both classical and rock. 650 (as you probaly know) is the warmer, fuller bass one - the T1 is crisper and has exeptional soundstaging. I usually listen to classical with the T1 - but it depends on the recording. And then - a recording can sound great on both - but in different ways.

If you need low imp phones, the Beyer T5p is the low imp version of the T1 - I believe they're pretty similar on the outside, but don't trust me on that. 

But with on-ears and in ears you totally eliminate the problem. What about getting the on ear Grado pads for your RS2s? And I read that there are some exceptionally good in-ears around. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 19
Nov 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 19
Hi

I am sitting now wearing my AKG K702s and glasses at the same time. I find the AKG K702s to be pretty good with glasses. The AKG K702s are identical to the K701s in this regard I think.

I think this is quite a good issue to raise actually :)

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 19
The K702 are perfectly fine with glasses. For an even looser fit, the Audio-Technica AD700 does the job as well, but you probably won't be used to the bass loss.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 19
I have the K 702 and I mostly use it while having glasses on (late in the evenings after taking out my contacts).  Just to echo what the previous posters have said, they are very comfortable both with and without glasses.  In addition, the 702 is a great headphone for classical music so I think it would be a great choice for you, in addition to complementing your current collection well.

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
The T1 and T5P sound almost the same but the T5P will have a slightly smaller soundstage. Otherwise they sound nearly the same. I find the T5P to be awesome, but a bit costly. I would personally go for the T50P as it's smaller and will be great for those genre's. I have heard the T50P first hand and it's a bargain at it's price. Just a great rock headphone.

The HD650 will have about, IMO, 90% of the same sound signature of the HD580, but tweeked. It will have a smoother top end with more midrange emphasis as well as bass emphasis. Otherwise they sound nearly the same, just a different flavor of sound. I do not find them a upgrade if you already have the excellent HD580.

If you have a amp you could also go with the K601 which is really good for classical and rock. Plus it has a bit more detail and much more soundstage than what the HD580 can offer. It will however has a lighter bass response (impact), but IMO the bass is of better quality.

Did you have T5Ps for a long time? How do thay sound with heavier genres like Rock?

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 19
I did not have them for that long but from what I heard they sound very similar. The T5P having a little bit more bass and a very slightly smaller soundstage and less air, but their tonality was very close.

I use my T1's with Rock and Metal and I tried the T5Ps' with those genres' as well and they did a really good job with them.

Quote:
Did you have T5Ps for a long time? How do thay sound with heavier genres like Rock?

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 19
Please note -  Please be careful when wearing glasses when using Orthodynamic headphones. I haven't had this problem with the Head-Direct line yet (although I'm sure the problem has the propensity to be the same).

I was wearing my reading glasses while using my LCD-2's and when I took the headphones off of my head, and the magnets attracted my glasses and ripped them right off of my head and bent the arm (easily fixable). The magnets on orthos are very strong and can easily attach themselves to anything that's metal in close proximity.

Scared the crap out of me 
eek.gif

smile.gif
. Headphones should be called the LCD-XLAX.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 19
I know what you mean about glasses with earpad headphones (Grado).  I use AT ESW10JPN at work and they press my glasses up against my head.  I find it more comfortable when I use a pair of glasses with very thin temples.  My K701s very comfortable with glasses and great with classical.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
I did not have them for that long but from what I heard they sound very similar. The T5P having a little bit more bass and a very slightly smaller soundstage and less air, but their tonality was very close.

I use my T1's with Rock and Metal and I tried the T5Ps' with those genres' as well and they did a really good job with them.

Thanks.

Sorry for the OT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back