Headphones for Classical music
Jan 22, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #93 of 103
  Perfectly neutral? Is that the general opinion?

I wouldn't say perfectly neutral, but the SRH1840 would be one of the most neutral cans I've ever owned/heard.

David Solomon said same in his 'Battle Of The Flagships'

STRENGTHS NEUTRAL: Simply put, the SRH1840 is one of the most neutral-sounding headphones in this whole evaluation. If you are reading this evaluation from beginning to end, then let me say that the SRH1840 is the most neutral headphone reviewed thus far.

MIDS: "Almost flat as a board" is how I would describe the midrange presentation of the SRH1840. This makes it a wonderful headphone for editing and mastering.

CLASSICAL & JAZZ MASTER: The SRH1840 excels with classical music. It actually sounds fantastic with most well-recorded music, especially modern-day jazz recordings.

They'd be a good choice for me for classical - but as the OP suggested he preferred the HD650 to the HD600, so I think further recommendations along the lines of HD600, DT880, HD800 are all going to be a little to bright for him.

OP - suggest you run with the HD650 - as you said, it's your preference  

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #94 of 103
Yea maybe the 650 is what you are looking for. 

If you did choose something a little brighter (some would say beyerdynamics or HD800) then get a good warm tube amp to pair and it will help a lot with the brightness.

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #95 of 103
1. Agree, they are very, very different.
2. You're a nice person. Right on!

beerchug.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #96 of 103
You just described the he400. Use it with odac+o2.

I found the HE 400 to be terrible for Classical, that GIANT upper mid dip was no fun, ofc with eq it's pretty nice but I find Eq cumbersome, and my portable rig doesn't have an EQ option. So for the sake of consistency I don't eq 
  Hi guys. So I did get a chance to hear both HD600 and 650. I personally liek the 650 better. Would HD800 be a good choice then? I really have no idea what 800 sounds like. But I am sure curious if it sounds more towards what 600 offers vs. 650. 

If you like the HD650 better than the HD600 you may love the Beyer T1.

The T1 is also great for classical but I like the HD800 better as I prefer the HD600 over HD650 for classical, it's just a preference.

Good point the T1 would be a nice choice, and you can certianly run the T1 out of a less exspensive amp and Dac 

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #97 of 103
Head Fi is going to make me put a second mortgage on my home

Hahaha, true.  But if you CANNOT pay off any headphone gear within day/days of your salary (after tax) you shouldn't.
Taking weeks or months to pay off that it's a stress, there are other priority you should consider like investing, loan/mortgage (if you have any), etc.

Just be happy with what you can afford, that's what I did, although I am craving for STAX :)

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #98 of 103
Hahaha, true.  But if you CANNOT pay off any headphone gear within day/days of your salary (after tax) you shouldn't.
Taking weeks or months to pay off that it's a stress, there are other priority you should consider like investing, loan/mortgage (if you have any), etc.

Just be happy with what you can afford, that's what I did, although I am craving for STAX :)

I was joking, of course.

But I do have an extra kid...

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #99 of 103
I was joking, of course.

But I do have an extra kid...

... I know a guy who pays a fair price for children... and... he sends em to a nice "farm" ;3

JUST KIDDING

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #100 of 103
I find it hilarious that you guys love to speak in absolutes. The he400 is not terrible, awful, an abomination, scum of the earth. And neither is the hd600 the Mecca of classical sound. They both have certain strength and weaknesses that highlights certain aspect of classical music. I've explained why too. Life is much more pleasant and less confrontational when you focus more on what makes things nice :wink:

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #101 of 103

+1

This is the best offer imo, so if it financially is within reach, buy it and never look back.
As you can see in these measurements, the stax is not bass shy. I have owned the srs2050ii and it wasn't bas shy, it is flat all the way down below 20hz.
http://rinchoi.blogspot.nl/2013/08/stax-sr-207-back-to-basic.html

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #102 of 103
I'm gonna throw a curve ball in here.  Try out the Bowers and Wilkins P7.  They have been fantastic for every genre, but classical is just amazing on them.  The clarity is fantastic, and there is plenty of punch there when it is needed.

Agree. P7 just play a good job. And it can be used any where.
But if you are looking for some even higher product at home, what about mad dog? Maybe you should also purchase an amp.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #103 of 103
I find it hilarious that you guys love to speak in absolutes. The he400 is not terrible, awful, an abomination, scum of the earth. And neither is the hd600 the Mecca of classical sound. They both have certain strength and weaknesses that highlights certain aspect of classical music. I've explained why too. Life is much more pleasant and less confrontational when you focus more on what makes things nice
wink.gif

Good point, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back