Headphones for an iPod 5.5G?
Dec 30, 2014 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

iRock1

Head-Fier
Hi all.

I'm using an iPod Video 5.5G–with no AMP nor external DAC–and I want to put those fabric-included white earbuds back on their box as soon as possible. What would you recommend me as a replacement?

My personal history is nothing to envy. I'm by no means an audiophile, and the most decent headphones that I've had are the Sennheiser HD 485, which I've been using for many years with several generations of iPhones, an iPad and an iMac. (I liked them a lot a few years ago, as they sounded far better than anything I used before, but at this point I'd love to take the next step.)

My musical tastes are wide. Mostly a lot of rock, alternative, some pop, soundtracks, classical and jazz. Most of my music is encoded in AAC at 256 kbps or MP3 at 320 kbps. I'm a firmly believer that the classic-fancy-FLAC-discussion points nowhere.

I'd like some robust, closed headphones (for outdoor use). Regarding the budget, it's only limited by the technical fact that I don't want to use an AMP or DAC, so it doesn't make any sense to buy some US$ 1000 headphones for an iPod which won't help me to perceive a huge improvement.

Ideas?

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 18
  Can you list a limit in your bugdet? Also do you prefer on ear or over ear?

Hi.

Uhm, as I said before, I want the limits to be technical, not financial. So if you have a US$ 300 recommendation, it's the cream of the top and they will still rock without an external DAC or AMP, welcome home.

Regarding the kind of model, I'd say I prefer on ear. Something not so bulky or showy, as they are intended for outdoor use. I can still use my HD 485 (open cans) for home.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 18
You should never, never tell head-fi that you have no budget...

...because, if you do, then some smart@ss like me will come along and tell you that a Custom IEM is absolutely what you want. It meets all of your criteria: they can be used straight from an iPod, excellent isolation, and they are the least showy of any 'phones.

For example, I think these would be nice...

http://nobleaudio.com/en/shop/prestige/

Or, maybe these...

http://www.jhaudio.com/content/sirens-roxanne

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 18

...because, if you do, then some smart@ss like me will come along and tell you that a Custom IEM is absolutely what you want. It meets all of your criteria: they can be used straight from an iPod, excellent isolation, and they are the least showy of any 'phones.

Or, maybe these...

Right, but would you buy that for MP3 listening in a not-so-fancy iPod?

Btw, the first link doesn't seem to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 18

Or, maybe these...

I been always wondering how good those ones will sound and the orpheus

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 18

If you had an unlimited budget, why wouldn't you use them? How much is too much?

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 18

If you had an unlimited budget, why wouldn't you use them? How much is too much?

Too much is when you spend money on something that won't provide any practical benefits.

Again, I could pay US$ 10,000 for the best headphones in the market, made of gold and sounding like the trumpets of God. However, you would probably need a super high-quality source and nothing less than a vinyl—or perhaps CD/FLAC— in order to take advantage of all the included technologies. If not, they might sound just as good or as bad as some very-good-but-no-so-expensive $300 cans. So the limit in this case is something that can deliver its full potential for the money that you pay.

Also, consider that I don't have what you'd consider a trained ear. I mean, I even said that the discussion between MP3 @ max rate vs. FLAC is dumb. :)

Though, who knows, perhaps just with a mere iPod and some fancy headphones I'll finally be able to reach Nirvana and know what people here talk about, lol.

Cheers.

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #11 of 18
I'm just messing with you. I actually agree that spending more than is necessary is foolish. However, I also believe that in audio, that limit is a personal decision, not one that can be made based on some technical aspect. I believe "Best" or "Best Value" is a meaningless concept EXCEPT when an individual applies it for themselves. We all have different needs, desires and expectations, and we have different concepts of "value". Folks that play in the Summit-Fi world of $1000+ gear have a completely different view of "value" than folks that have budgets of under $50. I do not believe there is a magic line where crossing it gets you no benefit. It is all relative to the individual. I know head-fiers that own a wall full of headphones worth thousands & thousands of dollars. They are seeking their own definition of "best". What most long-time head-fiers learn is that as you move farther up the price scale, there simply become different shades of great, not "best". :)

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 18
I'm just messing with you. I actually agree that spending more than is necessary is foolish. However, I also believe that in audio, that limit is a personal decision, not one that can be made based on some technical aspect. I believe "Best" or "Best Value" is a meaningless concept EXCEPT when an individual applies it for themselves. We all have different needs, desires and expectations, and we have different concepts of "value". Folks that play in the Summit-Fi world of $1000+ gear have a completely different view of "value" than folks that have budgets of under $50. I do not believe there is a magic line where crossing it gets you no benefit. It is all relative to the individual. I know head-fiers that own a wall full of headphones worth thousands & thousands of dollars. They are seeking their own definition of "best". What most long-time head-fiers learn is that as you move farther up the price scale, there simply become different shades of great, not "best". :)

And the recommendation? :)

If you want to insist, let's put it this way: using nothing more than an iPod and a bunch of MP3s, do you perceive the difference in audio quality (notice I'm not speaking about audio signature) between some $200 and $300 headphones? Between $300 and $400 headphones? Between $400 and $500 headphones and so on?

Now, when you are able to say no, that's the limit.

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 18
I don't think you can separate "audio quality" from "audio signature" - they are intertwined. I don't like Grados. The Grado sound is just not for me, and because of that, I can't fairly judge the "audio quality" of Grado headphones - no matter if they are $80 or $800.

I'm actually not entirely joking about IEMs. In your application, I use IEMs, not full-size headphones. I think the Etymotic hf5 or ER-4p would work well.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 18
  T51i
DT-1350

Is it "safe" to use those on an iPod without an amp? I was told the contrary.

I don't think you can separate "audio quality" from "audio signature" - they are intertwined. I don't like Grados. The Grado sound is just not for me, and because of that, I can't fairly judge the "audio quality" of Grado headphones - no matter if they are $80 or $800.

I'm actually not entirely joking about IEMs. In your application, I use IEMs, not full-size headphones. I think the Etymotic hf5 or ER-4p would work well.

I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. I intend to use these headphones for in-door and out-door purposes. I personally like the on-ear models more. :)

Also, what's wrong with Grados in your opinion?

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 18
My issue with Grados is a personal thing. They have exactly the opposite sound signature from what I like. They have no bottom end, and they are very forward in the treble and upper mids. Some people love them - I wish I did, but I just don't. If you compare the response of a headphone I really like against one of the most popular Grado 'phones, it's easy to see how they are simply the exact opposite of each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back