HeadPhones for a Hearing Impaired Person? (Audiogram Included)
May 3, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
My ex is practically deaf (and in fact has a cochlear implant now) and she always just used special interconnect cables that attached to her hearing aids from her iPod.  Do your hearing aids have any sort of plug like this?  Honestly, I think it's silly to use headphones with hearing aids on, you won't really be hearing the headphones at all, just what the hearing aids gather from the sound the headphones are giving you.

How deaf are you, by the way?  A percentage, I mean? (my ex was somewhere above 95%...hence the cochlear implant)

My wife is essentially 100% deaf above 1kHz and the PX100 were a revelation to hear with her hearing aids on.  Without hearing aids, they're nothing special for her.  To give you an idea of her hearing loss, a hair dryer, a running water tap, or a telephone ringing, make absolutely no sound for her.  It took her a while to get the idea I couldn't hear her when she was drying her hair.

The good thing about listening with hearing aids is they actually help prevent further hearing loss.  That's something we specifically asked the audiologist about.  Without her hearing aids, my wife has a tendency to really crank up the volume, which can cause more hearing loss.  With her hearing aids, the molds completely isolate so the only sound is what comes from the hearing aid.  The hearing aid will not amplify the sound loud enough to cause damage.  I realize hearing aids don't have a flat frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz.  They're more geared towards understanding speech.  But for a person with profound hearing loss, it's still better than the alternative.

Hard of Hearing, this is something you should keep in mind.  You're hearing loss, while bad, is obviously not profound.  But it's bad enough that you're very likely to listen loud enough to damage your hearing more. It may be very hard for you to judge.   Your audiologist may be able to help you determine what levels you normally listen at.  In a way, you might be lucky because of the volume limiting required by EU regulation.

May 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
My wife is essentially 100% deaf above 1kHz and the PX100 were a revelation to hear with her hearing aids on.  Without hearing aids, they're nothing special for her.  To give you an idea of her hearing loss, a hair dryer, a running water tap, or a telephone ringing, make absolutely no sound for her.  It took her a while to get the idea I couldn't hear her when she was drying her hair.

The good thing about listening with hearing aids is they actually help prevent further hearing loss.  That's something we specifically asked the audiologist about.  Without her hearing aids, my wife has a tendency to really crank up the volume, which can cause more hearing loss.  With her hearing aids, the molds completely isolate so the only sound is what comes from the hearing aid.  The hearing aid will not amplify the sound loud enough to cause damage.  I realize hearing aids don't have a flat frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz.  They're more geared towards understanding speech.  But for a person with profound hearing loss, it's still better than the alternative.

Hard of Hearing, this is something you should keep in mind.  You're hearing loss, while bad, is obviously not profound.  But it's bad enough that you're very likely to listen loud enough to damage your hearing more. It may be very hard for you to judge.   Your audiologist may be able to help you determine what levels you normally listen at.  In a way, you might be lucky because of the volume limiting required by EU regulation.

Well, in cases like this, a pair of custom IEMs could work.  Hard of Hearing, perhaps if they are EQ'd specifically for your ears, with each channel panned and EQ'd accordingly, they could give you the sound you're looking for?  The custom moulds would be essentially identical to a hearing aid's earplug and would block most external noise.  It could probably be EQ'd, somewhat like a hearing aid if you use a good enough EQ program.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 19
Hi,

Please tell me the name of your wife's hearing aids. Mine are Octicon and I get terrible feedback constantly. If I turn off the sound
in restaurants etc., then I can't hear the person I am talking to. Also, how is her hearing in movie theatres? I can barely make out the sound, even with
them turned up all the way.
How bad is her hearing? I have profound hearing loss in left ear and moderate to severe in right. This is how my Dr. described it.

I am on my 3rd set of hearing aids. This last set cost me 3,000+. I would gladly pay 6K if it would help.
Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks, Sharon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back