Headphones as comfy as AD700s but better for music around $150?
Sep 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aak57

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Titanium HD and AD700s that I use for gaming, and I love them.  However as everyone knows they are pretty bass light, and I'm looking for a pair of headphones that I'll use for music.  As far as genres go, I listen to all types of rock, and a ton of instrumental stuff from big band to guitar-focused to electronica type music.   I listen to video game and anime soundtracks quite a bit.  

Examples would be Led Zeppelin, Eric Johnson and Pink Floyd for the "normal" music, and then some stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKAP1BmRs3k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKV195eXg7I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZbUnu8WBn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2UtFr53I0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbsAyGQ0k_U

Now, one thing that's important is that I have a relatively large head, which is one of the reasons I love the AD700s since they are kinda loose and have big soft ear cups.  I have a pair of HD681s but they're not really as comfortable and aren't something I want to wear for hours at a time.  I ultimately don't care if they're open or closed as quality comes first, but it'd be nice if they were closed so I could take them to work instead of IEMs.  I am a fan of bass, and I don't really get the level I want in stuff like what I linked.

As far as budget goes, I'd like to stay around $150 but I could around $200 if I feel it's worth it. I'm also not really sure if the Titanium HD is worth using for music, since I bought it for gaming purposes, or if I should pick up a Xonar DX or something. I've looked at the Ultrasone HFI 580s and the ATH M50s but I'm not really well versed in audiophilia and I don't really know what I should be looking for, at least with enough confidence to make a decision.

Thanks for any help.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

The Titanium HD is good enough for most headphones; you'll be fine there.

Headphon-wise, you want some bass, so here's some suggestions (pushing the $200 mark as it opens up more options for some of the best mid-fi headphones out there):

Beyer DT990 PRO (open)
Beyer DT880 PRO (semi-open)
Beyer DT770 PRO (closed)
Fischer Audio FA002 (open)
Fischer Audio FA011 (open)
Denon D2000 (closed; used)
Ultrasone HFI 2400 (open)
Ultrasone PRO 750 (closed)
Hifiman HE-300 r2 (open)
AudioTechnica A900X (closed)
Brainwavz HM5 (closed)
Samson SR850 (semi-open)

Essentially, I would suggest the basic Samson SR850 for you. Everything you like about the AD700, but with bass. And it's inexpensive. Otherwise, I would move on the DT990 PRO.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 6
bc the 990 is a more fun sounding headphone than the rest. big bass and highs that are a bit much at times but fun!

his advice is solid as usual, the samson 850 is a good headphone but comfy? not in stock form. it's earpads are pleather and need replacing with velour or in my case some microfiber towels that I cut in strips and made into earpads lol.

Anyway, I just got a used set of Sennheiser 558s for $110. I did that bc I needed a really lightweight all around headphone. Not the same wants as yours but another solid headphone for the $$.

BUT: If you want some STELLAR sound for Zepplin, I suggest some modded fostex T50rp. I had a pair and OMG was that the real deal. They are heavy as hell and I can't deal with that with my neck issues but wow. The ones I had just had basic mods with clay filling and a few other minor tweaks. I was floored by how awesome Zepplin sounded.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 6
While the T50RPs seem interesting, I'm looking more for something that's ready out of the box.  The DT 990s seem good, but I worry that the "fun" factor might wear off.  I suppose I'm more into neutral sounds without anything too exaggerated.  I like hearing all the instruments playing and don't really want any part being overly pronounced unless it's intended to be that way.  I suppose I'd prefer more bass than less, but again only if it isn't "unnatural" for the song.

Dunno if that makes any sense really.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Heya,

The Titanium HD is good enough for most headphones; you'll be fine there.

Headphon-wise, you want some bass, so here's some suggestions (pushing the $200 mark as it opens up more options for some of the best mid-fi headphones out there):

Beyer DT990 PRO (open)
Beyer DT880 PRO (semi-open)
Beyer DT770 PRO (closed)
Fischer Audio FA002 (open)
Fischer Audio FA011 (open)
Denon D2000 (closed; used)
Ultrasone HFI 2400 (open)
Ultrasone PRO 750 (closed)
Hifiman HE-300 r2 (open)
AudioTechnica A900X (closed)
Brainwavz HM5 (closed)
Samson SR850 (semi-open)

Essentially, I would suggest the basic Samson SR850 for you. Everything you like about the AD700, but with bass. And it's inexpensive. Otherwise, I would move on the DT990 PRO.

Very best

I respectfully disagree with the SR850 suggestion.  I own both the AD700 and the SR850, and they are very different.  The SR850 is a monitoring headphone.  My wife actually uses it in (pre-) editing a documentary she is producing.  I think that it is good for that: it is detailed, reasonably comfortable, efficient, and does not leak too much.  I cannot listen to music with the SR850---its treble is shelved up too high.  Tyll Heystens wrote that listening to music through the SR850 is like listening to music through razor blades---I agree.  The AD700 is a musical headphone: crisp bass, good detail, great air and soundstage.  I know that many feel that the AD700 does not have enough bass extension, but I find that its bass is fine for the music that I listen to (classical, including baroque and romantic, West African, jazz, blues, and Italian pop).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back