Headphones around $50?
Feb 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

GasMaskMan

100+ Head-Fier
Saw another thread about this lately, was told to make a new one instead of thread jacking. 
Looking at my sig you can see I already have Grados, but I'm a college student and wearing them around campus is kinda bad for my hearing since they have to be at higher levels.
So, I want to get some closed headphones (I'm not too fond of my koss).  Also I don't mind if they're omg big.
I listen to a lot of different music, downtempo, indie, rock, some hiphop, classical, big band etc etc.

I have somewhat narrowed it down to 2 sets (I'm open to some recommendations though).  

The CAD Audio MH310's
and the Superlux HD661's

Thanks in advanced!

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 16
JVC HARX700 is another to consider.

ATH M30 is on sale at Amazon for $41.86 shipped.  Long cord might be a slight issue as a portable.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 16
I have the Cad. For the money it's hard to beat. The highs are on the strong side but not so much as to be annoying. It is basically the hd662f which is probably the most balanced of the full sized superlux.  I got mine off ebay from nuvi musik for 39 and free shipping.

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 16
In another thread just a little while ago I suggested the Audio Technica ATH M40's,
which are only $49. at Amazon right now.

Just be aware that the cord ends in a 1/4" phone plug so you'll want to add another buck fifty
for an adapter: !/4" phone to 3.5mm mini.  (Not a big deal; just useful to know.  :))

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
In another thread just a little while ago I suggested the Audio Technica ATH M40's,
which are only $49. at Amazon right now.

Just be aware that the cord ends in a 1/4" phone plug so you'll want to add another buck fifty
for an adapter: !/4" phone to 3.5mm mini.  (Not a big deal; just useful to know.  :))

Interesting...I do have an adapter already.  I'm looking more towards Superlux's for some reason, even more than the CAD's.

Also any opinions on the 661s?

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Interesting...I do have an adapter already.  I'm looking more towards Superlux's for some reason, even more than the CAD's.

Also any opinions on the 661s?

I haven't heard them, but I'm leery of that "wing" design ever since I owned the Audio Technica 900's which had the same "wings".
I used to hear their spring-loaded mechanism microphonically through the phones every time I moved my head.
It was very distracting.

The Superlux have generally been well reviewed, of course - I'm well aware of that.

Another phone I haven't heard in the same price range which gets very good reviews is the Samson SR850.

For $50.00, I'd personally go with the Audio Technica M40 which I suggested initially as a known quantity with great reviews,
but those two others do sound interesting.

Although not necessarily for walking around campus...

edit: formatting

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:

I haven't heard them, but I'm leery of that "wing" design ever since I owned the Audio Technica 900's which had the same "wings".
I used to hear their spring-loaded mechanism microphonically through the phones every time I moved my head.
It was very distracting.

The Superlux have generally been well reviewed, of course - I'm well aware of that.

Another phone I haven't heard in the same price range which gets very good reviews is the Samson SR850.

For $50.00, I'd personally go with the Audio Technica M40 which I suggested initially as a known quantity with great reviews,
but those two others do sound interesting.

Although not necessarily for walking around campus...

edit: formatting

I read that the wings were rather uncomfortable.  Also I need closed headphones, plus a pair that don't need an adaptor is a plus right now, as thats less cable (I don't mind cables though), plus that Audio Technicas...well I know its function over form, but dang it's like they didn't even try with the aesthetics.

What about AKG K81s? (Just wondering).

Thinking about jumping on the CADs.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:

I read that the wings were rather uncomfortable.  Also I need closed headphones, plus a pair that don't need an adaptor is a plus right now, as thats less cable (I don't mind cables though), plus that Audio Technicas...well I know its function over form, but dang it's like they didn't even try with the aesthetics.

What about AKG K81s? (Just wondering).

Thinking about jumping on the CADs.

I haven't listened to either of those, so I'm not in a position to say yay or nay.

But if you can, look to buy from a seller which allows returns.
There are plenty out there (e.g. Amazon). 
That way, you don't have to feel the need to make a 'perfect' decision before buying.

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:

I haven't listened to either of those, so I'm not in a position to say yay or nay.

But if you can, look to buy from a seller which allows returns.
There are plenty out there (e.g. Amazon). 
That way, you don't have to feel the need to make a 'perfect' decision before buying.

Haha I always prefer to take the time to make a "perfect" decision.  I hate returning opened goods like that.

Which means the AKGs are now out as apparently they have a really bad cable issues or something and terrible customer support for the US, or so it seems.

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 16

It was very distracting.

This is easy to fix. I put some a square of closed cell foam between the two metal rails  It looks goofy but eliminated the vibration.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Haha I always prefer to take the time to make a "perfect" decision.  I hate returning opened goods like that.

Which means the AKGs are now out as apparently they have a really bad cable issues or something and terrible customer support for the US, or so it seems.

I do too.  But many merchants, especially larger ones, have no issue with it when it's done in good faith.
They have various systems in place to mitigate the cost of returns to something negligible,
and the return policies actually makes sales happen which wouldn't happen otherwise - so a net positive
result can be achieved.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

This is easy to fix. I put some a square of closed cell foam between the two metal rails  It looks goofy but eliminated the vibration.

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.

I see, though, that your picture shows AKG's.

Does the solution you suggest work with the Audio Technica's 'wings' as well?
(Because I have no issues in this regard with any of my AKG's.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back