Headphones are the gateway drug for high-end audio
Feb 8, 2016 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't come on here much these days as I'm pretty happy with my lot and don't get a lot of time, but I read this article today and thought of here! (sorry if its been discussed but I did a quick google and couldn't see it so...)

http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/portable-audio/are-headphones-the-gateway-drug-for-high-end-audio--1314435

What do you think? Personally I caught the bug for speaker-fi first, and the headphones thing was always a "necessary evil" for me (trying to keep noise levels low for others). I discovered that way how good headphones could actually be. I guess now for the young'uns, they are brought up on a staple of ipods/iphones and cheap £20 earphones at best.

I would like to see a resurgence in the interest of hi-fi audio in any form. Very underrated. Shame a lot of music isn't up to the standards of older stuff (or I'm getting old).

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 9
I went to headphones out of necessity. (Kids, limited space, etc.)

I have often thought that the increased popularity of headphones over the past decade or so has probably saved the high-end industry.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 9
Eh, maybe. I doubt many people who spend high amounts on headphones do so despite having an optimal speaker room setup.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 9
I definitely have, and they're amazing, but if I'm going speakers I'm gonna be putting some legit bank down, plus I'd need a room built for it.

Headphones are awesome because I can just take them around with me and not bother anyone.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 9
Not true at all(for me). As I owned high end audio in the 80's~90's. I got into HeadFi because I could get the equivalent of a $20k speaker system for $2k in a headphone system. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 9
For some people, headphones are indeed the gateway to speakers. For others such as myself who prefer the presentation of headphones over loudspeakers, it's a moot point. I'd rather get a cost-no-object headphone system if given the choice.

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 9
I think it can be true. It can be a gateway to speakers or other components to Hi-Fi.

I love headphones but overall I prefer speakers.

But in the real world, headphones make more sense because many people live in an apartment or have a wife/husband or kids and it’s not realistic to play your speakers loud. Fortunately for me, my house is in the woods and I can blast my speakers anytime! Woo hoo!

However, I do love the city and sometimes I envy city people and sometimes I envy apartment living. And it would be nice and cozy to enjoy a headphone late at night in a nice cozy apartment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back