Headphones and EQ
Feb 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

lexxmexx

New Head-Fier
Ok, I had been using cheaper headphones all my life. Never saw the need to upgrade until recently when I got interested in music production. My old Philips SHP1800 and Sony MDR-Q66 had clear sounds, and I actually liked them despite the fact that they tend to cause some discomfort on long use and bass was a little on the weak side.

After trying out several cans at a store, I have noticed that both cheap and expensive headphones of various brands exhibit sound quality that is either clear on flat EQ setting or muffled which require EQ to correct. Ok, I think I know how absolutely crappy headphones sound like. When I mentioned 'muffled', it is like the sound is masked with an invisible film of whatever, like a hymen, and sounded kind of stuffy. For eg, my Senn HD201 sounded really stuffy but everything clears up and sounded very good when I rolled off the low mids and boosted the lows and highs. My other pair of ATH-M50 sound very good on flat EQ and likewise for my Sony and Philips.

Is it normal for some headphones to require EQ tweaking to sound good? I have observed that some do and some don't, regardless of their price range. What constitutes a good sound in a pair of headphones? Can someone enlighten me on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back