Headphones, amp, and CDP for around $1000
Feb 16, 2003 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bdb55

100+ Head-Fier
OK, so I've decided that I need an actual home setup in addition to my portable and transportable gear. I really like the sound of my Ety's, but they don't work very well at home because I have to take them on and off too much. I think that I can come up with about $1000, or maybe a little more if I wait a few months. Here's what I'm considering:

Headphones:

Beyer 880 - $215 (Meier Audio)
AT A1000 - $319 (Audio Cubes)
AT W1000 - $379 (Audio Cubes)
Senn 580 - $199 (Headroom)
Senn 600 - $279 (Headroom)
Sony 3000 - $379 (Audio Cubes)

Amps:

Gilmore V2 - $450 (HeadAmp)
Corda HA-2 - $590 (Meier Audio)
Keep my META42 - FREE

Sources:

Philips 963SA - $400 (Etronics)
NAD C541 - $388 (B stock - Yawa)
Keep my Onkyo DX-C340 - FREE

My META42 was built by JMT and has AD8620, stacked EL2001's, biased to class A, two 9v batteries, etc; fairly "maxed-out." It also has an adapter built in it to convert my ER-4P into ER-4S (about 70-80 ohm of impedance, I think). I don't know if the adapter would negatively affect other headphones, and I don't know if it would be the weak link if I bought better gear.

I got the Onkyo a few years ago, and don't think that it's particularly good. I think that it should be replaced - unless someone convinces me otherwise.

So - what do you think? I'd really appreciate some input on what combination of the above people would recommend, or if I should be considering any other options.

Thanks, bdb55

Feb 16, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 20
What kind of a sound are you looking for? Based on that list, I'd stay keep your amp and plow more money into source (and of course, cans). Which cans people recomend will depend on what you want. Maybe one place to start is tell us what you *don't* like about the Etys, what you *do* like and what you would like more or less of.

Feb 16, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 20
Don't forget to include the cost of decent interconnects, and the cost of a cable upgrade with the Senns (if you choose to go that route).

Feb 16, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 20
As far as sources go, I highly recommend the Music Hall MMF-CD25. I prefer it to the Arcam CD72T that I auditioned a while back. There is currently one available at $375 on Audiogon (definitely not mine). I paid ~$400 and it is definitely worth every penny.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...783&class&3&4&

However, the Philips player might sound better. I haven't heard the Philips, but a lot of people around here REALLY like it. I do know that the build of the Music Hall is superior to the Philips and another forum member found preferred the Music Hall because it was less bright to his ears; but AFAIK there haven't been any substantial comparisons. I would definitely be tempted to get the Philips since it does SACD, but I won't be selling the Music Hall.

I also recommend the W1000; I prefer them to my Etys in every way. However, I haven't heard any of the other headphones on your list.

I will be getting a Gilmore whenever they start shipping, and I intend to post a comparison with my META42 which appears to be almost the same configuration as your META42, but with no battery power. So, you might want to wait for the comparison (though I've never written one before).

Feb 16, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Maybe one place to start is tell us what you *don't* like about the Etys, what you *do* like and what you would like more or less of.

What I like about the Etys:

Detail
Transparency
Accuracy
Isolation (great for trains, planes, buses, etc)

What I don't like:

Comfort (when taken in and out frequently)
Soundstage
Isolation (don't want it @ home)

They are my only good 'phones, so I don't really have a reference point with which to compare them. I feel like I'm not even hearing the Ety's at their full potential because of my sources. I just need something more comfortable to use at home.

If I kept the META42, then what would you recommend for a higher-end source? (say $600-$800)

Feb 16, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Carlos3
Don't forget to include the cost of decent interconnects, and the cost of a cable upgrade with the Senns (if you choose to go that route).

I've got some Outlaw PCA IC's that I would use with this setup. Good point about the Senn cables, though. They're what, about $100-$200 extra?

Feb 16, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 20
bdb55,

If your going to throw a thousand bucks down, and say, "That's it!" I think you have definitely searched the forums, and made wise choices. But, do you really think this is the case? Look at things for the long haul. I would rather see you get the equipment you want now than go through the upgrading game later. I say buy things piece by piece as you can afford them.
Look for amps in the sweet spot like the 500 to 1000 dollar range, and when buying a CD player plan on getting small marginal gains for the extra dollars spent. In no way is a 4000 dollar CD player 2 times better than a 2000 dollar one.
Also, no one can pick the best system for you from your list. They are your ears you know.

Feb 16, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by bdb55
Good point about the Senn cables, though. They're what, about $100-$200 extra?

$150 for Cardas, $190 for Equinox

Feb 16, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 20
If you have a good receiver, you don't need to spring for a great CD player, you can use the D/A converters in your receiver and use the CD player as a data reader only, if your CD player has a coax/optical out.

Feb 16, 2003 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 20
is Mr. P.D. in your neck of the woods? Can you attend a Seattle meet? You could take the Onkyo with you and compare it to others. Otherwise you may end up going for the Music Hall MMF-CD25, Philips SA963 (or any other CDP you may like at the meet) or a separate DAC and/or maybe the Monarchy DIP. Why don't you think the Onkyo is any good? It probably has Burr-Brown DACs in it, so the sound should be warm to dark, perhaps a little lacking in detail (like Marantz, Sherwood, Pioneer, etc.) Mated with bright hedphones they could be acceptable (although the amp woiuld have to carry the weight of pulling out more detail).

your profile says you definitely need some cans. I of course would suggest you audition the DT880, W1000 and CD3000. everything else can wait and can take it's time. i of course would love to hear the Gilmore. maybe by then someone will have one at the Seattle meet. The Gilmore will probably match best with the W1000 and CD3000 (because of low impedance). The Meta will probably match very well with the DT880 (just throw in a few more buffers) and remove the transformer (after listening to it).

the hardest part would be source matching. if, as rad says, the Philips is on the bright side, you may not want to pair it with certain headphones. so if you buy the cans (after listening to them extensively) you can then source match accordingly. i can see you walking into an audio store now and saying to the guy, "hook up my Meta amp to that CDP, please."

your profile hasn't stated what your music preferences are or what instrument or vocal type you are particular to. if you're mostly in love with violins, then that will be what you will be looking for in the headphones and amp (sweet sound), etc. and that's why you would audition with your favourite music.

you have all good choices. the one you will probably settle on will have the widest soundstage, the clearest sound with the most transparency. and only your ears will be able to hear which is which.

best of luck in your endeavour. you lucky guy.

Feb 16, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 20
Sony CD3000 can give yout:
5 * is the best

Comfort ***** (Most comfortable headphone based on what I tried, it even better then W2002)
Soundstage***
Isolation *** (It is closed headphone, but you can still hear what ppl talking beside you)

Feb 16, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 20
My 2dB:

1. Keep the Meta
2. Get a DVD player for CD playing
3. That'll leave you over $500 for cans, cables, etc.

Feb 16, 2003 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 20
DVD-players simply can't offer the same sound quality as dedicated CD-players in the same price range, but It's said (What HiFi? 01/2003), that the Denon 2800 Mk2 can match NAD C541i or the Arcam CD 62T. It costs about USD 1000, though. Too bad i can't afford it
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2003 at 12:43 PM Post #15 of 20
I have one of those combinations and I am liking it alot.

Philips 963SA>Corda HA-2>Senn 600s

I am also using Kimber PBJ ICs and the Cardas headphone cable. I am waiting for a longer Cardas to arrive, so I am back to the stock Senn cable right now and still liking what I hear.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back