Headphone with the PRaT factor, good for pop / techno
Jan 26, 2008 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
I dont know if theres anyone left on this forum who even remembers me, I used to be a regular poster, not so much lately as I was content with my rig. Or at least, I thought I was.

Currently using HD650 and ANT Amber amp, I think it sounds wonderful on acoustic material and very high quality recordings, but for dance, I find it a little difficult to follow basslines in trance if the recording is less than ideal, as the bass doesn't really pop out at you with the 650. It does everything right in a hifi sense of the word, but doesnt really same to make sense for a lot of the trance that I listen to.

The rest of my rig, and what I use most of the time, if I'm being honest is a Squeezebox fronted system, into an MF Digilog DAC (TDA1541 chipset), which naturally as you would expect I also use with my headphone setup.... however I use a Harman Kardon HK6550 and a pair of Rega Ela loudspeakers. Both items are discontinued items of classic hifi that IMO, would take components costing upwards of $2000 each to significantly better to my ears.

When I listen to the HK6550 / Ela combo, with that pacey DAC as source, I cant believe just how good it sounds, a really fast, pacey, punchy, bass driven sound that manages not to be harsh or bright, but manages to give an incredible smooth and crisp note, and I have to say that sadly, as hard as the Amber / HD650 combo tries, it just isnt good enough to compete. Its probably true to say that the headphone rig resolves more detail if you are listening for it, but theres not an awful lot of difference in detail terms, but apart from that the speakers do everything better and makes hard hitting music extremely good fun to listen to, and is far more forgiving of poor recordings.

The amp and speakers really complement each other well, a very full bodied, muscular, dynamic sounding amp feeding some of the most agile transmission line speakers you will ever hear is just a brilliant combo, and it gives a sound I feel is missing from a lot of hifi.

What I am after is that similar match made in headphone heaven. I think I am half way there really, as I suspect the ANT is a punchy little amp, as it has proved with many other headphones I've used it for, I think the HD650 is the restricting link here. I dont doubt that there is a possibility that you could probably power the HD650 up to great things, say if you used balanced into a really high quality amplifier, but I dont have the kind of cash it would take, and frankly, I think why the hell should I spend that much money on something just to try and better a stereo rig that was pretty much assembled for around $500 on ebay and hifi forums.

I dont think my source is the weak point. The TDA1541 is a classic DAC which is often used in classic Philips, Rotel and Naim CD players, among others, and is known for giving a very fast paced, detailed, almost analogue like, so I dont think that needs to be replaced, besides which, it cost me more to buy than the amp and speakers put together, and contains many mods such as uprated caps and suchlike.

Given that source and headphone amp, you would think that it would wake the HD650 up a bit? Well yes it does, quite a lot actually, but still, I feel the HD650 still leave their smothering wake on poor quality recordings, and feel that they sound dull and lifeless. When the recordings are good, they are brilliant headphones. Which is why they will be staying. Give it some acoustic material, such as REM, Dire Straits or other similar music which lets the HD650 shine, it sounds stunning. They are also good with ambient and such like. However, on techno such as john digweed, paul van dyk, armin van buuren etc, it is not so great as I feel the HD650 are not tolerating subpar recordings and leave a dull, flat sound. This is the exact opposite to my speaker rig, which injects really drive and life into even relatively poor recordings. However, for the reason that the 650 are good with better recordings and acoustic / ambient, the 650 will be staying.

What I want is a headphone that can deliver drive and life the same as my speakers can. Serious pace and agility is required, with great clarity.

I was thinking about trying a Grado SR60 or SR80. In the past I have avoided Grado because I personally think their price fixing policy in none-native lands is highway robbery. I dont know how they can justify charging $1400 for an RS-1 in the UK, and even the modest SR60 retails at a rip-off $180 over here. Having said that, I did used to have a pair of SR80s, and drove them straight from my integrated amp at the time (a Rotel) and one thing sticks in my mind about how pacey they were and also how lively and dynamic. Albeit somewhat uncomfortable and bright, however my system has come on a long way since then which has began to make me wonder how how the Grado would sound now. Not decided whether to try an SR60 or SR80. The alessandro models might be worthy of consideration also I would guess.

Other models that I have thought about and have access to, is Sennheiser HD25-1, Beyerdynamic DT150, DT250 (250), DT770 (80), Koss PortaPro or KSC-75, although I think perhaps the latter option would be too much of a step down and not really appropriate for the level of system they would be in?

So to summarise, contenders are:-

Grado SR60 / SR80
For: great fast, hard hitting bass, very lively
Against: fatiguing? uncomfortable, poor build quality

Alessandro MS-1
For: Pretty much the same points as a grado
Against: As above, but not as much fun as a grado?

Beyerdynamic DT150
For: Not much info on them, apparently pretty balanced sound overall
Against: Ugly as sin, huge, dont know if its what i'm looking for.

Beyerdynamic DT250 (250)
For: Closed version of the DT531, surprising sound quality for money?
Against: Not circumaural (but neither are grado)

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80
For: Refined version of the 250 ohm version? Seismic Bass
Against: Perhaps ends up sounding "slow" and lacking drive, dark tonally

Sennheiser HD25-1
For: The closest Sennheiser has to a closed Grado?
Against: Possible comfort issues, might still be too laid back?

So should I go for a Grado or are there any other suggestions?

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 16
I recently got hold of a pair of grado 325i's having listened to a pair of SR80's, with the feeling that they would complement my sennheiser hd650's nicely. I have to say, switching between them, the 325i can seem very shrill and bright, but they just have that almost indescribable "foot tapping" quality that the 650s seem to lack with classic rock and metal.

I have no experience with your ANT Amber amp (nor with any of your other prospective headphones), but if it has the qualities you suggest, you should be in for a nice treat with the grados. I do not know how well the grados work with techno, but if they appear to lack bass for you, try the tape mod (cover the outside of the pads with selotape).

The alessandro headphones are currently a steal with the exchange rate, and they offer free worldwide shipping, but be careful with customs charges and taxes!

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 16
Yeah I could probably stretch to the MS-2i, even with the taxes it still probably comes to under £200, but the cheaper models will let me know if i like the sound, and frankly they might prove to be enough for the job.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 16
I got the MS2i today, so I am not qualified to speak on it yet. Even though I bought it used, it is still relatively new, so I expect some burn-in time. However, I have to tell you that, after rock, I absolutely love listening to techno and house. The MS1 always handled both genres nicely. You miiiiiiiight want to try flat pads, since it adds that extra bass on there, but I find the MS1 with the bowls do a fine job.

Oh! One important factor, the MS1 comes with COMFIES when purchased, not with bowls. At least, when I purchased them that's how they came. I later purchased the bowls and the flats from TTVJ. At first I liked the flats because of the big difference they made in bass (it's very discernible to me, night and day). But as burn-in went on, I began to appreciate the overall balanced sound of the bowls much better.

I am unsure as to whether the MS2i comes stock with bowls or not since I bought them off from someone here and not direct. Also, the size difference between the MS1 and the MS2i is clearly obvious. No wonder the MS2i are called fatboys around here.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 16
proline 2500 or 750 undoubtedly. they made even low quality armin/tiesto/van dyk recordings sound very enjoyable. you need tight hard hitting bass that sometimes these trance artists don't really incorporate in their old recordings. proline 750s, made for techno/trance/rock. never heard anything better and more fun.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 16
Out of curiosity I started listening to some Benny Benassi with the MS2i.

oh wow... ahhahaha! I'm dancing here! Maybe they aren't the best for this genre. Maybe the above poster was right. But I gotta tell you, when a set of cans makes me dance, I know they're keepers! Btw, the bass in the MS2i s definitely more prominent than in the MS1, and this is with bowls on, mind you.

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 16
A little more reading suggests that, for this usage, I would say the SR-80 is in the lead as it has just that bit more power and speed in the bass by all accounts.... but there is also the thought that a few more quid potentially gets the MS-2i as well... but where do you end
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 16
I've hear both the SR-80 and MS-1 and if you're looking for PRaT that won't wear you out, MS-1 is a much better choice IMO.

I haven't found a track that my MS-1 can't keep up with.

Whichever you choose, Grado sounds like the way to go. Alessandro ships internationally, so you won't have to worry about local price gouging.

edit: Sorry, missed the thread title. Although the MS-1 are great for pop, it's a bit bass-shy for techno IMHO.

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 16
Right in my head I feel like there is two options, given that trance is mainly what I listen to with only a relatively small amount of acoustic or ambient stuff and also some pop and 80s electric thrown in for good measure...

1. I could get the SR-80 for about £80 ($160) and keep my HD650 for the other type of music (but seems a waste to have my best headphone for the smallest portion of music)... or

2. I could sell the HD650 and go for the MS-2i ($300 but risk of being stung off customs), as I'm sure that even with acoustic stuff it will hardly sound too shabby, but should sound a lot better for the trance stuff I'm guessing.

Jan 26, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, MS1 is quite flat headphone. Not that much slam in bass. MS2 might be different story though.

I assume from what your saying then that the SR80 might be preferable to the MS-1 if you want slamming bass? When I had the SR80 all those years ago I remember it slamming really quite well.

Jan 26, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 16
i'm going with some closed v3 darthbeyers, with a similar issue in mind about getting the texture and resonance out of my bass from electronic music styles.. i haven't heard yet so i can't tell you \= also, pretty sure the 80 ohms version of the dt770 is regarded as the overall best.. i'll be coupling these with a lisa 3 and hope to be satisfied with all of my ranges.. we'll see =x if you're still trying to figure this out in 3 months, i'll let you know haha

Jan 26, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 16
Wow, Birkett is back. You once equipped me with the DT531 - damned good idea back then. Not enough highs in long terms, as you can see from my sig.

Topic:
I only know the SR225 as "real" Grado, but it left me deeply unimpressed (dull & midfi-ish). Thus I doubt that the small SR80 will drive you into sonic Trance heaven. Before you get a cheap Grado beast, you better get the MS1. Still the best fon under 100$ available IMO.
Next patient: MS2i. Great fon. Great PRaT, great detailling - but I wouldn't call it exactly a fon for Trance or alike. It's built for rockheads and chamber music freaks IMO. And it only works for concentraded listening sessions (tends to nerve while doing something else). Can be very shrill. Comfort is pure hell.
DT250/150: I haven't heared these until now, but I am sceptical, as it's superiority to your Senn beast you're looking for. Back to Midfi? Hmmm...
HD25-1: I don't recommend these unless it's portability and indestructability that is in question. No soundscape, lacking mids. Any Jack-and-Joe MS1 sounds better.
DT770: Naaaah...the slowest bass and most lacking mids available in its class...

That was (with exception of the Alessandros) the "don't" section, now to the "do" section.
The D2000 ain't bad, really. DT531 goes Hifi. Especially fine with Trance & electronica. (I wear a borrowed pair right now) Only drawback is the nutty price (what's your budget?) and its...well, this fon can't decide between tip-toeing and layed back spirit.
The W5000 would be exactly what you are looking for. If they suit you. If you can afford them.

Summary: MS1 if your budget is low. Some show-off fon if you have the currency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back