Headphone wires keep on breaking at the jack
Nov 12, 2011 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Blackbird0

New Head-Fier
So, here's my problem: I've moved on from apple's standard crap for my iphone, tried their in-ear version, and then I moved on to maximo's iP-595.  With all these headphones, I frequently find that after some amount of use, the wire breaks near the jack and I lose one earbud's sound

I've tried both elbow and straight, and my straight one seemed to last longer.  Here's my question: is there either an accessory that would plug into my phone that is a particularly reinforced wire, or is there a set of headphone someone would recommend that has a more reinforces wire?  Do those straight ribbony wires work out better for anyone?  Thanks!

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 20
might not be the player or the cable type, maybe a better quality connector is needed. i've used these a couple of times to recable.
http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=NTP3RC-B&preadd=action
i know some people like to wind the headphones around the player and stuff it in the pocket, i carry mine detached in a case after spooling them around two fingers loosely. plastic containers will do in a pinch and are dust proof.

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 20
sure, the neutrik plug in the link has a rubber sleeve at the end where the wire goes AND a crimp in the housing, it's the strongest i've ever seen; really overbuilt for casual use, more studio equipment and heavy use. do you have or know someone with a soldering iron?

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 20
Hi Blackbird0,

What we have found is that the problem isn't so much the plug itself, but rather the interface between the plug and the knit cable. This is why we tried using a few different connectors, as you've noted. But in the end we found that the best solution is to do away with the knit cable itself.

So, if you submit a return request for your defective unit, you'll get the latest version with the angled plug and a rubber cable (also happens to have OFC), which will be more durable than either connector was with the knit cable.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 20
Why don't most headphones made for portable use have a right angle plug?

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
You mean headphones or iems/earbuds? If it's the latter there's plenty of right angle plug IEMs out there.

I mean all of them. I used the term headphone generically to include headphones, ear buds, and IEMs. Most of the IEMs and headphones I am interested in have a straight plug. I would prefer it if they had a right angle plug. The 45 degree plugs seem very weird.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 20
So, here I am again: my maximo is great, but it keeps on breaking.

Their support is utter crap right now.  I submitted support requests in mid July, and I've been getting no response.  If they would replace the breaking at the connector, I'd stick with them, but 1.5+ months is no for me.  Would anyone have a suggestion for similarly prices (sub 100) headphones, in-ear, universal fit, with a microphone, that have an extremely sturdy cable and don't break at the connector?

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 20
Etymotic Etymotic Etymotic

Yes, That's Right...

Etymotic MC5 with the NRB Mod.

Pure Eargasmic Bliss, and a 2 year warranty to boot.

Enjoy, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back