Headphone suggestions for Cowon J3. Alessandro MS1, Grado SR225, something else?
Aug 15, 2010 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ejoslin

New Head-Fier
I've been reading threads about Alessandro MS1 vs Grado SR225 and am thoroughly confused.

My source will be a Cowon J3, unamped.  I currently have Phonak PFE IEMs which I'm happy with, though they're not perfect; I use the gray filters.  I also have Sennheiser HD 238 which I do not like at all -- not enough clarity, sloppy bass, though they are comfortable.

I listen to, in this order, symphonic and folk metal, neo folk, classical (in particular baroque era), black metal, industrial, jazz, alternative, but only occasionally rock.

I would prefer to spend about $100 but I can go up to $200.  I was all set to order the Grados but started having doubts since I don't listen to rock so much.

Thank you so much for any/all advice!

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 2
Responding to myself (sorry) to add a few things.  My music is all either mp3 V0 or FLAC.  I also do not mind hearing about other brands of headphones if neither the MS1s or SR225s would work.

Being able to handle a wall of sound is most important to me.  My Sennheisers tend to make my music sound very, I guess "smeary" is a good way to describe it.  I also like to hear the strings of a guitar/lute being plucked in an acoustic performance.

I like bass, but I'm ok with a quieter bass that is controlled rather than a lot of boomy, indistinct sound.  Since a lot of my music features operatic sopranos (amplified and not) being able to control the highs is also important.

I'd also like a decent soundstage -- I believe this is the MS1's weakness. 

Is this too much to ask for in my price range?  I can do without the soundstage if everything else is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back