Headphone shops in NYC
Sep 7, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 8
OMG how could he miss the hysterical "Rocking NY since 1971" TV commercial with those three dudes at the headphone testing bar, total silence, and they are dancing and bobbing like no tomorrow wearing cans!

The funniest ad now on TV, and clearly a great HP testing area!

I'm talking about J&R of course.

See:

Headphones at JR.com

They have a video of the TV commercial on the web site.

Senns, beyers, ATs all in stock. Great place ... I haven't been in a while but will go soon just because of the commercial!

Added -- ah I see: the friend is in AZ and the commercial only airs here in NY/NJ !

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 8
For pro sound gear, don't miss B&H. Not near J&R unfortunately, and closed on Saturdays (open Sunday), and you can't really listen, but the place is a trip man for camera, video, pro audio gear. I mean they have like Benchmark DACs in stock at great prices and you can just buy one and take it home.

A must if you friend has any interest in cameras, btw.

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 8
BEST COMMERCIAL EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've checked out the store, it's really a fun place - definitely worth the trip if you live around NYC, even if you dont particularly need new cans
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG how could he miss the hysterical "Rocking NY since 1971" TV commercial with those three dudes at the headphone testing bar, total silence, and they are dancing and bobbing like no tomorrow wearing cans!

The funniest ad now on TV, and clearly a great HP testing area!

I'm talking about J&R of course.

See:

Headphones at JR.com

They have a video of the TV commercial on the web site.

Senns, beyers, ATs all in stock. Great place ... I haven't been in a while but will go soon just because of the commercial!

Added -- ah I see: the friend is in AZ and the commercial only airs here in NY/NJ !

Well J&R has a lot of headphones but they are all on the lower end of things. They are also attached to a headphone wall with abysmal sound being pumped into them. They do have the HD800 on the ground floor but don't bother listening to them with J&R's equipment. A $1400 headphone connected to a $200 Onkyo receiver is like drinking Krystal with Spam. Try AudioCubes. Better yet, try and make it to the High-end audio shows that we have, usually at the Grand Hyatt. There is always a room dedicated to listening to the finest headphone equipment. There is also Innovative Audio, Sound by Singer, and many other high-end audiophile shops. New York is a great place to listen to headphones. I can't afford my top three favorites so I will have to stick to my IEM's for now. Even so, I have listened to many of the great headphones systems in the world, the most unforgettable, the Orpheus. Oh, don't forget, there is Grado in Brooklyn!

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 8
Second the slam of J&R. Good prices but terrible place to audition headphones. I went there 6 months ago and found that headphone wall to be mostly lower end phones and nearly every one appeared to be broken (SR60 missing a pad, HD650 that was just flat broken, etc.). They were also being fed by a source and amp that was frankly the worst sounding of anything I have heard in my life. I asked one of the sales guys if I could audition something on a better source/amp and he just mumbled and pointed at the wall.

I ended up auditioning the Grado 125/225/325 at Stereo Exchange on nice equipment with no rush. I ended up buying my 225is there. Go on a week day if you can. You are not likely to get much love here when there are a bunch of folks roaming around looking to drop 30K on a two channel rig.

I am a two channel guy and well familiar with most of the high end shops in Manhattan. Most of them only carry a few headphones for auditioning. You have to call around and see if these stores have the things you want to listen to. I would not expect to find much aside from Grado and Senn though. I have never been to B&H (at least to look at headphones) so not sure what their setup is.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
drinking Krystal with Spam!

Ah, you're right -- with Spam I find Dom Perignon better than Cristal (I believe that's the correct spelling btw) -- the earth notes play better against the faint pepper taste of the canned, spiced ham. But a light, fruity red would be better than any champagne, I think.

I hate the high-end snooty NYC audio stores. And the ones out here in Jersey are worse. Give me J&R and the fun wall any day.

The commercial has done more for this hobby among the people I know than a bunch of CanJams. I measure by the number of friends and business associates who email me asking for HP recommendations. It spiked when the commercial first aired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back