Headphone recommendations for Metal?
May 11, 2016 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gl0rp

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for some headphone recommendations primarily to be used for listening to symphonic/progressive/power/folk metal and metalcore; bands along the line of Nightwish, Delain, Tool, Sabaton, Eluveitie, The Amity Affliction, Of Mice & Men, etc. I listen to some lighter stuff too so I would want other genres to sound good too, but my primary focus is on metal.

I'm currently using ATH M50s through my computers onboard audio but will be getting a Schiit Magni/Modi stack to get rid of the harsh feedback I'm getting from my onboard audio and allow me to use low impedance headphones. I quite like the sound I get from the M50s, but in saying that I don't really have anything to compare them to. My main reason for wanting to get rid of them is that even after a year of use they are horribly uncomfortable to wear with glasses.

I live in Australia and would likely be buying from Ebay or in the rare cases where Amazon will actually ship to Australia that is also an option.

Budget is around the $450 (AUD) mark but I am flexible and can go higher if I feel it's worth it for a better quality product.

Here's an idea of some prices to get an idea of how much things cost here, also note that availability is also sometimes an issue on less popular brands.
  1. Sennheiser HD650 - $500 (although one seller has them for $425 new, I'd have to check the legitimacy of it first)
  2. Sennheiser HD600 - $480
  3. Beyerdynamic DT880 - $310
  4. Beyerdynamic DT990 - $250
  5. Beyerdynamic T70P - $471

May 11, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hi,

I'm looking for some headphone recommendations primarily to be used for listening to symphonic/progressive/power/folk metal and metalcore; bands along the line of Nightwish, Delain, Tool, Sabaton, Eluveitie, The Amity Affliction, Of Mice & Men, etc. I listen to some lighter stuff too so I would want other genres to sound good too, but my primary focus is on metal.

I'm currently using ATH M50s through my computers onboard audio but will be getting a Schiit Magni/Modi stack to get rid of the harsh feedback I'm getting from my onboard audio and allow me to use low impedance headphones. I quite like the sound I get from the M50s, but in saying that I don't really have anything to compare them to. My main reason for wanting to get rid of them is that even after a year of use they are horribly uncomfortable to wear with glasses.

I live in Australia and would likely be buying from Ebay or in the rare cases where Amazon will actually ship to Australia that is also an option.

Budget is around the $450 (AUD) mark but I am flexible and can go higher if I feel it's worth it for a better quality product.

Here's an idea of some prices to get an idea of how much things cost here, also note that availability is also sometimes an issue on less popular brands.
  1. Sennheiser HD650 - $500 (although one seller has them for $425 new, I'd have to check the legitimacy of it first)

Is that a list of headphones youre considering,or just a price reference list?

May 11, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 5
http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

wink.gif

A few of my faves are the Yamaha HPH-MT220, STAX SR-207, and HIFIMAN HE400i.

Also, about glasses...I wear 'em too, but with headphones I either take them off or move the frames out from and over the ear pads. This improves comfort along with sound quality, since you get a better seal.

May 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0rp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
--

I'd go with the HD600.

With my older source and reference amp

With my new source and back-up amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0rp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wear glasses too but never had any issue with the HD600, nor with the M50, but that's likely because I actually pick better frame designs (wider and have a slight bow to the earpieces to keep them away from my temples).

Also, the earpads on the HD600 are stiff out of the box (which is what I prefer honestly) but gets softer with use, however once soft if you wear them for long enough everyday they can get too mushy at some point. Wen it's too mushy the bass and a narrow range in the treble get a boost, not good. Best bet would be to loosen the clamp force . Fully extend the metal frame of the headband then bend outwards at the center, hold for 10secs, bend outwards slightly near the gimbals, hold for 10secs. Repeat for other side, then repeat again on both; test fit, repeat if necessary.

The downside to bending it would be that you can't use the box s a storage unit, although you really shouldn't anyway as you'd want to let it air out as you'd have sweat and oil on the earpads. For reference here's what my HD600 looks like over the packaging box, where the older pair of earpads are in the cavity for the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back