Headphone recommendations for fun listening
Dec 29, 2021 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

apaar123

500+ Head-Fier
What are your recommendation for headphones with a fun but detailed. Good soundstage and imaging. Good instrument seperation. Not too technical because will be using mostly for casual and enjoyable listening rather than active or critical listening. Open or close both are fine. Got the he400se and will be getting argon mk3 too. So if other headphones complement then that would even be better. Will be getting an amp dac too. Price havent considered yet so.
Thank you

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 8
Atticus or Aeolus from zmf. E-mu teak. It’s hard without a price range :).

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 8
As already mentioned it's somewhat hard to give recs without knowing the budget but here are few I can name...

-Creative Aurvana Live (1st version, budget classic, something you really can't go wrong with for the price)
-Whole Fostex TH-lineup
-Audioquest Nightowl/Nighthawk (if you can find them)
-V-moda M100 (solid basshead choice, great for electronics)
-iBasso SR2 (some people might call them boring, but to me they are "fun" listen")

Feel free to ask more if some of them raised your interest. :L3000:

Dec 31, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 8
Just like @DenverW, the Atticus gets my vote without any price consideration. The Atticus is the most fun headphone l have heard/owned, and fits your description quite well.

Dec 31, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 8
Depends on your budget. But if you're talking about $1,000 or so, here's a small list -

Denon AH-D9200 - A less extreme, more balanced version of the TH900 Mk2.
Fostex TH900 Mk2 - If you must have that "v-shaped" sound.
ZMF Atticus - If you love textured, strong bass with a sweet, lush tone.

Sub-$1,000, the E-MU Teak gets my vote. It retains that famous Fostex house sound - engaging, dynamic, great bass, punchy, lively.

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 8
What are your recommendation for headphones with a fun but detailed. Good soundstage and imaging. Good instrument seperation. Not too technical because will be using mostly for casual and enjoyable listening rather than active or critical listening. Open or close both are fine. Got the he400se and will be getting argon mk3 too. So if other headphones complement then that would even be better. Will be getting an amp dac too. Price havent considered yet so.
Thank you
Althought the imaging/instrument separation of the Sony Z7s (original, not mk2 which I have not tried) is average, and they are not very detailed cans, i find them the most enjoyable of my current headphones (in my avatar). If you can find a second hand unit for around 300 $/€, I think is a good deal to try them.

Right now I'm enjoying my Metallica albums with them :L3000:

Jan 1, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 8
Audioquest nighthawks/owls are super fun and will complement what you currently have. Not sure of the pricing nowadays though.
I second the NightOwl recommendation. Sadly, they are already discontinued. I have tried to source for a brand-new unit, but I was not able to.

It is a dark, smooth headphone that's great for a fatigue-free session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back