Headphone recommendations below 200 USD
Nov 18, 2009 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

500+ Head-Fier
It's pretty much exactly what the title says, but I feel obliged to elaborate. If you want to cut the crap, skip to the dotted line.

For one, I dislike supra-aural headphones such as the AKG K518s - the only ones I feasibly use are my PX100s because of their light weight. That being said, I'm interested in Grado's SR line but that's another story. For the most part, supra-aurals tend to make my ears sore after a while, and I'm sure that applies to a lot, if not all of you.

I'm a relative newbie to this area - a headphone weeaboo, if you will - and as such, up until now I've been using a pair of Panasonic RP-HTX7s. Keep your bashing to yourself, it doesn't belong on this thread and I know they're nowhere near 'good' headphones. My ER-6s agree.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I'm making an appeal for some suggestions. What I'm looking for is a circumaural pair which must be able to fold up well, with the earcups folding completely within the headband, and come with a pouch or case. The pouch is almost not worth mentioning, but regardless I still want one. Once again, they must be closed. I won't just be using them at home, so some degree of isolation is required for when I get tired of my IEMs or want to detoxicate my friends from iBuds.

The headphones are going to be run unamped, straight out of a DAP that's not an iPod (I'm leaning towards the Samsung P3, if you must know). My musical tastes are almost completely rock, specifically dance-punk and alternative genres with some new wave. Bands I most frequently listen to include Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, and the Vines, White Stripes and Strokes. It's fairly straightforward, but my tastes also extend to the Prodigy, !!! and the Hush Sound, worth stating although I don't think any headphone can effectively cater to frenzied electronic rave and piano-heavy, blues-inspired music at the same time. For the most part, though, my focus lies on the groups first stated.

I am aware that the attributes listed pretty much call for a 'DJ'-type headphone, most of which have a slight bass bump, as well as rock music that performs best with a helping of bass. I'm fine with that, but let it be known that treble quality is important to me; I want to hear cymbals and high registers clearly, as well as well-defined vocals. Almost justifies using the ER-6s for rock music, doesn't it?

Anyways, I'm eying either the Shure SRH840s or the Audio-technica ATH-M50s. If anyone else has any other suggestions, any information on whether the above two will suit me well, or how they perform with my music, please post here. Also, are the SRH840s worth the price difference from the SRH440s, given my situation? Will there be a significant decrease in sound quality between the two?

This is a long post, but I hope I provided enough criteria for anyone to make an informed recommendation. Thanks in advance.

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 22
You may also want to look into the Shure SRH-440's as the 840's require an amp (at least in some cases) to sound their best. I love the 440's bigger brother, but there are many reports that the 440 is better when both are compared, unamped.

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 22
I really doubt that the SRH840 is not going to sound better than the 440... I never really cared about headphones amps but I heard a lot of good headphones and the amp makes maybe five percent or even less of the sound. Just get a good headphone and be happy!

The 840 is loud enough for my taste when driven by a Sansa Clip.

It just might just be the case that the 440 actually sounds fuller than the 840 which quite some people might prefer. The 840 is supposed to sound a bit warmer overall.

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuglufttier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really doubt that the SRH840 is not going to sound better than the 440... I never really cared about headphones amps but I heard a lot of good headphones and the amp makes maybe five percent or even less of the sound. Just get a good headphone and be happy!

The 840 is loud enough for my taste when driven by a Sansa Clip.

Amps aren't about volume; some phones are power hungry and need them to open up their full capability.

If you've only heard good headphones that need little or no amping, then there won't be that much difference adding an amp. Try it with an AKG701 and then see if an amp makes a diff.

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 22
Read on the forums that srh 840 are laid back and tend to be little warm but srh 440 are better with rock due to their brighter and more aggressive sound
And there is big price difference between 840 and 440...
If you plan on using them unamped think that you should go with 440 ! If you plan to buy some decent budget amp in near future you should go with 840 or denon's d2000 !

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amps aren't about volume; some phones are power hungry and need them to open up their full capability.

If you've only heard good headphones that need little or no amping, then there won't be that much difference adding an amp. Try it with an AKG701 and then see if an amp makes a diff.

See my profile
wink.gif
I also had special headphone amps but they never changed the sound that much.

Maybe a little bit better but they didn't make me like a certain headphone, I didn't enjoy from the beginning.

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuglufttier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard a lot of good headphones and the amp makes maybe five percent or even less of the sound.

I'd like to know the basis of comparison. My D2000, for example, NEED an amp to reach their full potential. If I said that was only "five percent" of the sound, then it would be a gross underestimate.

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 22
HD 25-1 II all the way

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GMP 8.35/435 will be a great choice here. Great treble quality and sound stage. You also can mod the sound by replacing the pads.

I did check out German Maestro's site and the headphones you mentioned above, and with all due respect, they look like a very respectable company. But I highly doubt they fold up, and they're well out of my price range at 149-199 euro. Thanks, but no, thanks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to know the basis of comparison. My D2000, for example, NEED an amp to reach their full potential. If I said that was only "five percent" of the sound, then it would be a gross underestimate.

Just to settle this: I got to try a friend's DT880s once, but since he was just passing through he didn't go through the trouble of unpacking his amp. I must say that the result definitely wasn't even close to fifty percent of the sound; it was extremely transparent with little bass and I had to push my DAP's volume to twice the level that I would normally use. So, yes, amps do matter. And by the way, roker, you quoted the wrong guy. Not to spark anything, but I thought I'd say that just for the sake of credibility.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD 25-1 II all the way

I'm sure they're strong headphones, but they don't look like they fold, nor do they look circum-aural, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not crazy about the 'Sennheiser sound,' either, from the HD201s, HD457s and HD555s I've tried, and I EQ up the treble when I use my PX100s. In all fairness, however, after some digital tweaking the PX100s sound amazing considering their price, and I have no bias against Sennheiser whatsoever. Thanks anyways.
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you plan on using them unamped think that you should go with 440 ! If you plan to buy some decent budget amp in near future you should go with 840 or denon's d2000 !

Well, now that you say that, can anyone shed some light on the SRH840's performance with an entry-level amp, namely the NuForce Icon Mobile? Obviously not a great amp by any means, but probably one of the few I'd realistically get, considering the RSA Predator costs nearly five times as much. I'm drawn in by the rechargeable battery and DAC function, considering how much time I spend in front of the computer. The small size is a great asset for travel and use with my laptop as well.
That being said, may I kindly point out that this is a headphone recommendation thread, so unless there's something that trumps the Icon Mobile in almost every way, or if it sucks so horribly that it's just a $99 paperweight with line-in, I'd like to keep the amp discussion to a minimum.

Thanks for your input so far, everyone. I'm glad this thread received some attention.

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12345142 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And by the way, roker, you quoted the wrong guy. Not to spark anything, but I thought I'd say that just for the sake of credibility.

huh?

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree, when I paired my ath-es7s with my cmoybb. Not only did the output increase, but the bass became more noticeable and had that extra grunt without being overpowering, even without the bass boost on. Soundstage increased as well, it was a very noticeable difference between non amped and amped.

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 22
To the OP, Ive read some good stuff about the m50's, but I ended up with the ath-es7. I dont know of any foldable ones, maybe the shure srh750djs? I dont think there are any reviews of them yet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back