Headphone Recommendation - closed, circumaural, < $100
Aug 8, 2006 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GlorytheWiz825

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

I would like some help in picking out a pair of headphones mainly for winter use. It gets really cold up here in Canada during the winter and I use my headphones as earmuffs. I've gone through the past winter wearing my Bose Triports, which worked pretty well but I'm looking for an upgrade in sound.

I would like a pair of closed, circumaural headphones that are under $100. I would also like something durable as they may get banged up here and there in the harsh wind and snow. The first thing that comes to mind is the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. I was thinking of ordering a pair of these but figured I'll ask the head-fiers and see what you experts have to suggest. So...what do you recommend for an alternative to the HD280 Pro or are these the best headphones for my needs?

Thanks everyone!

Aug 8, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 9
The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro is a good choice. I have been using a pair for about 2 years while walking on an indoor track. Putting them in and out of my gym bag, and using a blower to dry sweat off the earpads after each 1-1and1/2 hours of moderate walking (5 days a week). The only damage so far is a crack in the bottom on one side of the headband, but this has not gotten any worse (it appears that the metal insert is keeping them from cracking all the way through). A little crazy glue can probably fix this minor problem.

Amazingly, the earpads have no visable signs of wear after hundreds of hours of use (if this were a Sony product, the pads would have needed several replacements by now). The sound quality is superior to others at this price level, and they offer much better isolation than other closed cans. I auditioned the Bose Triport (the $150 model) at the Bose store (using my own CD player and music) and found their sound quality to be very dull, so if you have not tried the HD 280 Pro yet, I think you'll find them quite superior to the Triports.

Aug 9, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 9
If you're using these for mobile then there is no way I would recommend the A500 to you. There's just no real way they can be used easily on the move, they're just to big for that.

The HD280 Pro is not a terrible choice, I personally dont care for their sound and many dont, but then again many love them. Basically I'd suggest you try a pair of these out if possible before you buy them. I think they would be a nice upgrade over your Triports though.

I suggest you look for a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 250-80, but you'll only find them used in your price range as they're generally $180 new but drop to ~$100 used. If you can find a good condition used pair then they'd be a massive upgrade. They're fairly small for circumaural but large enough to fit my ears perfectly (I have huge ears and head).

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825
Hi guys,

So...what do you recommend for an alternative to the HD280 Pro or are these the best headphones for my needs?

Thanks everyone!

Check out this link for a summary of what people think of the HD280pro:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192777

I personally don't like them, but I would not go so far as to say they are worse then the Koss KSC75 (they are better to me... still sad they compare to 12$ cans).

They will keep you head a little warm, although you may get a headake from their clamp force by about an hour. Can you live with this?

If you would have bumped your budget to 160$us, I would have said DT770pro. But, if you are bent set on 100$, then maybe the A500......

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 9
A500s or DT770s are fine if you don't mind feeling like you are wearing a football helmet out in public.

I would suggest the DT250-80s. Low profile, comfy velour pads (will help with warmth), circumaural, isolate well. And hey guess what? they just happen to sound pretty damn good. They can be had for $100 used. The only thing IMHO that keeps them from being perfect for portable use is the coiled cord, I really do not like the coiled cord. But there is hope, the cord has a plug on it, so it is detachable. I am working on finding some way to make a decent straight cord for them...

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 9
If you find a straight cord for those DT 250-80s PLEASE tell me. I am also not a fan of coiled cords, and would love to have a straight cord for my DT 250-80s. Ahh, that would be heaven.

They really are a great all around can. I feel comfortable wearing them where I want and they are super tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back